Resort was amazing. We were a little hesitant to book so "far" from San Pedro but never felt it was an issue being away from town. Tuff E Nuff is an excursion agency located on the property that also runs the water taxi service from the resort to town and back at various times throughout the day, and we found that to be sufficient to get us into town twice during our 6 day stay. Otherwise we strolled the beach and found places both north and south of Coco for food (10-20 minute walks on the beach-ideal after lounging in the sun all day!). I did think the food on the property was overpriced (spaghetti for $30?!) so we always went elsewhere (would rather spend $30 for fresh fish, authentic cuisine, etc).
A few things that may our stay especially wonderful:
-Coco Beach took care of arranging our flight from Belize City to San Pedro, then the water taxi was waiting for us. Upon arrival in San Pedro and prior to getting into the water taxi, we were shown a grocery and stocked up on breakfast basics for the week. Other reviewers complained about food prices...we bought a dozen eggs, several bags of chips, fresh tortillas, cheese, salsa, cereal and milk for $40 USD...didnt think it was bad at all. Also awesome that we didnt make a separate trip to find this-it was immediately offered up as an option and couldnt have been simpler.
-Larry the pool guy. This guy rules. He gave us a heads up of places he loved to eat in town, told us about the Chicken Drop (hilarious gambling event in town where money is bet on numbers 1-100 and a chicken, after being fed coconut milk, is shaken and whatever number it poos on, that person wins $100). He got us fresh coconuts almost daily at the pool and threw down some rap at our request. Just a cool, charming guy that really stood out.
-Zoby and Marcie were also especially hospitable, helping to arrange tours, recommending places in town, and just generally being extra friendly, remembering our names, etc.
-Tuff E Nuff excursions were great. We did the Mexico rock snorkeling, Hol Chan, and a Xunantunich tour and all were smooth, the guides were EXTREMELY informative, and just all in all memorable trips that were well worth the price tags.
-Food-belizean cuisine is to die for. Again, we read countless reviews of crazy prices, but people, get off the resorts to get more authentic and affordable food!!! We actually had a night where we ate from street vendors only, off carts in town, spent $10 USD total, and it was some of our favorites (tacos, tamales, pupusas, fresh papaya, etc). Elvis is not to be missed in town-have the grouper with black bean sauce-best bite of Belizean food hands down. Ahi, about a 20 min walk towards town from coco beach, was great with a spectacular atmosphere/setting (xmas lights strung from tree canopies on the beach!). We thought Capricorn was good, but the above were far superior.
-Casita #1-gave us privacy, was amazingly soundproof, and allowed for cooking breakfast, stashing snacks, etc. Also had filtered water from the fridge so would fill up waterbottles throughout the day.
-Weather was perfect-mid 80's, no humidity, breeze. Never had an issue with bugs (we would spray just in case at night).
My only other gripe about the resort (other than the mildly offensive price tags of Cocoblanca, the onsite restaurant) is no gym/treadmill, anything. We are a family of runners/marathoners and while we made the pot holed road work for running purposes, the heat was brutal. For all of the amenities, a small gym seems like an obvious addition to an otherwise really exceptional resort.
Thank you for a wonderful stay. We are big international travellers and never think about going back to a place twice, but found Belize and the island of San Pedro to be an exception to our otherwise fairly tight rule.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning waterfront Coco Beach Resort is located on the island of Ambergris Caye, Belize, 3.5 miles north of San Pedro Town and the island's only airstrip. Resort guests can expect a subtropical climate, Palm trees, Coconuts, and the island's most incredible free form swimming pool and swim up bar reserved for the exclusive use of our registered guests. Luxurious accommodations, great staff, complimentary kayaking, paddle boarding and weekday water aerobics, various food and beverage options, on call spa services, complimentary WIFI in public areas and onsite vacation planning/concierge service ensure an unforgettable vacation experience. A team of dedicated reservations professionals are available to plan your stay as well as your transfers from the Belize International airport to the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Coco Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coco Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Coco Beach San Pedro
- Coco Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro