“A must stay if you visit San Pedro”

Las Terrazas Resort
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
New York
“A must stay if you visit San Pedro”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The service and accommodations were amazing. I cannot emphasize enough how Nigel, Jamie and Leron always went the extra mile to make our stay even better. They were always very attentive to our requests and provided great suggestions for activities within and around the resort. They were helpful with all of our questions, and they all had the most pleasant demeanor. The general manager took the time out to check in with us periodically and see how our stay was.
Snorkeling in the reef was breathtaking. The guides were all so friendly and their friendliness and enthusiasm made the experience all that much better.

1 Thank Eric C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Just returned for 10 days at Las Terrazas...........not nearly long enough! We had a 2 bedroom, 3 bath townhome with 3 decks and views of the ocean. Full kitchen. This time of year was perfect, few people in the restaurant and at the pool- actually we felt like we really had the whole place to ourselves most days! The restaurant O is wonderful with a super good chef running the show- if you don't stay here, but stay close by, take the water taxi to O, you won't be disappointed. The staff made our stay just great! We took the bikes out most days with no problems. Everyone on the island is super friendly and actually happy to answer questions. We only went into San Pedro one night for dinner at Wild Mangos- excellent Key Lime Pie! We will be back.....

Room Tip: We upgraded to the 2 bedroom close to ocean front......it was fantastic!
2 Thank Lori93001
Houston
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful and peaceful place to stay for our first time in Belize! The entire staff was so attentive and always so nice. We've never seen such friendly, warm and detailed service.

We stayed in a 3 bdrm penthouse bc we upgraded last moment. Honestly, this place is so beautiful that I would've been more than content to save the money and stay in a 1 bdrm. The views are so beautiful, there is no bad location.

The food at O was really good and there were other restaurants within walking distance on the beach. We decided on a snorkeling and scuba outing which was really great. The guides were so knowledgeable and so nice.

We took a golf cart to town several times, rain or shine. We laughed the whole bumpy ride there with water filled potholes and all. It was great and very much a part of our good memories. San Pedro was wonderful. We had a blast just walking around and even got a police woman to pose for us while writing a ticket for the illegal parking on the red line (we learned something).

We really did fall in love with the people from Belize. Every person we met was so caring and went out of the way to help us. We always felt safe. This trip beginning from our flights, boat rides, and then our stay at Las Terrazas was absolutely perfect. We will be back to Las Terrazas, no doubt.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Strovans
Brea, California
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great looking resort, good amenities, on the water, a bit secluded, private.

We stayed here through a groupon deal. It was low season so some places were closed and we felt like we were the only ones at the resort. O restaurant was ok. Beach chairs, cabanas and hammocks were in good shape. Bikes were a bit worn down, rusty and had issues every time we took them out. You cannot swim in the ocean unless you grab a kayak and go out towards the reef. We enjoyed our stay at Las Terrazas but we realized that Ambergris Caye was not for us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sxcT
LasTerrazasTeam, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your compliments about Las Terrazas Resort. As you pointed out, we do offer wonderful amenities and take pride in the value provided to our guests; whether it is the privacy and exclusivity our location affords, the luxury bath products, the over sized accommodations, free WiFi, or the free use of kayaks, hobie cats and bicycles. Our bicycles were actually recently purchased and shipped from the US, however, the seats and the grips were an inferior quality which we recently replaced (after your visit). The bikes are now the best on the island! We would also like to point out that swimming in the ocean is not only wonderful at the reef as you experienced but also inside our roped off swimming area at the end of the dock. This is a popular area for any guests who do not wish to kayak out to the reef.

We value your comments and appreciate the time you took to share them.

Regards,

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales
Blue Springs, Missouri
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Where to begin? First let me say that all great destinations require great company to be complete, so my darling Michael would have made just about anything perfect just by his presence. However, he's mine so you'll have to bring your own fabulous company and I'll stick to the merits of Belize and Las Terrazas! And oh the merits are plentiful!!!

So, where to begin? Let's start at the Belize City Airport. After processing into the country on the morning of October 1, 2013 (which was relatively quick and easy if you don't count me being "quarantined" for a few moments for bringing a rose in from the states, but I'll be honest, even that was an adventure and I got to keep my rose!) we were met by a representative holding a sign just for us. He took care of our baggage and showed us where we would meet our plane to Ambergris Caye. Inside the airport we met "Jet" of Jet's Bar fame. Jet ordered us rum punch which inevitably led to others and then a hotdog or two. Jet was great and we were off to a good start. Our little plane arrived shortly and we flew out to Ambergris with another American we only remember as 'Wisconsin". He was staying a full month and I am still jealous!!! The Maya Tropics flight was smooth and scenic and felt very safe and comfortable. Our pilot was very professional. The San Pedro airport was efficient with our baggage and ground transportation to the pier to catch The Mystique (Las Terraszas' private boat) was already waiting for us. The Mystique captain and his crew member were GREAT! I THINK the captain's name was Eron and it kills me that I can't remember because I specifically ask him his name when we left five days later so I could refer to him specifically in this review. His crew member took our photo and was very funny and friendly. He wore a bandana around his neck, but I never caught his name. (see photo below)

When we arrived at the Las Terraszas dock, we were greeted by more run punch and the most amazing view of the beautiful resort. We were given lots of information verbally, most of which I missed because I was so enraptured with my surroundings. Check in was a breeze with Manuel and Tephany. Those two worked so hard the whole time we were there and their hospitality was top notch. They always had a smile and a friendly word for us. Michael actually had some business that could not wait when we first arrived and they were instrumental in getting all the documents that had been emailed to Mike printed, which they then brought to him and then faxed back to the states.

The accommodations. Let me just say...beautiful. We were taken to our suite and I can't remember if I was speechless or blabbering away at the beauty. It smelled sooooo good. It had this great patio with comfortable furniture and then a sliding glass door that led inside. The living area decor was beautiful and comfortable and the fans were running lazily. It was cool and inviting after our long journey we were left alone quickly after the staff received assurance that all was to our satisfaction. There was our bedroom, which had an extremely comfortable king size bed and the softest sheets ever. There were comfy robes to use during our stay and I fell in love with mine. A very large closet area that led to a great bathroom with a rain shower high enough that Mike could stand under it. There was a full size kitchen with refrigerator, stove, oven, dishwasher (I think...I know I saw dishwasher soap packets), coffeemaker, and a washer and dryer! I wish I had known this fact and I wouldn't have packed so much!!! There was a beautiful dining room. Unfortunately--or fortunately, depending on how you look at it--we did not use the kitchen or dining room much, preferring to either eat in town or at the resort restaurant.

The O Restaurant. The food and drink was, without exception, marvelous! The food was only rivaled by the service, which was perfect. Noreen was our favorite in the evening, and Flor in the mornings. Don't get me wrong, EVERYONE in the restaurant was delightful, we just had our favorites. The snapper was my favorite dish. Also the fresh guacamole and the chocolate fondue were to die for. The banana pancakes in the morning were the ONLY breakfast I had to have twice! Micheal liked the omelet...at least I think he did, as that is all he ever ordered in the morning! The bacon deserves it's own mention as well. Great coffee.

In the mornings, Mike would go running along the beach and I took to the beautiful pool. Each morning the towels would be rolled and placed at the foot of each lounge chair, I don't know who did that, but they had an eye for perfection as each towel was perfectly rolled and placed in exactly the same spot on each chair. It made me smile as that is exactly how I do things and I wondered who my Belizian counterpart was. Michael would come back from his run and shower off in the outside shower before jumping into the pool with me to cool down. Flor never failed to check on us in the mornings we were at the pool to see if there was anything she could bring us from the restaurant. We also swam most evenings after returning from town and Noreen made sure we were never without coffee or drinks or key lime pie or whatever we were hankering for after a long day of adventure. Noreen even knew exactly how we took our coffee and she prepared it before bringing it out to the pool so we wouldn't have to do it with wet hands.

We saw a lot of the grounds and pool staff and they were always polite and friendly when addressed (Mike doesn't know a stranger). David, the general manager, was always around as well and very friendly. When I told him I never wanted to leave he said, "Move here, I did!" He got me to thinking about some of the residences they have for sale. Can you say "Where do I sign"?

As for activities that filled our days, we opted for less of the organized stuff and more of the chill-axing exploration of town and all the various bars, restaurants, and shops that occupy the island. We met quite a few folks that we particularly liked or that made an impression on us. The children selling "coconut sweet" or ankle bracelets or any manner of items were adorable. We liked to pay them more than they were asking and then they would hang out with us at Lilly's and chat for a bit before moving on. Coconut Leo goes without saying, and then there was Lenny the wood carving/earring salesman that hangs out in front of Lilly's Treasure Chest and "Elvis" and "Shorty" who work there and probably wondered if we could ever get tired of Belikin Stout and chips and salsa! And then there is Scuba Steve Jr. We borrowed snorkel gear from the Las Terrazas dive shop (very helpful folks) and went out with Scuba Steve for some reef snorkeling the last day we were there. We had also gone out with him the day before to do some fishing, but I ended up getting sea sick because I didn't take my motion sickness pills two hours before we left. The next day I took them in time and our time anchored during snorkeling did not bother me at all. By the way, I am very prone to sea sickness and I never got sick during ANY of the water taxi rides or while actually swimming/snorkeling in the water. Only while sitting in an anchored boat did I have any problems and that was only when I did not take the Dramamine in time.

The morning we left (Oct 6, 2013) was a beautiful morning. When we expressed our regret at leaving we were invited to stay by the staff which, believe me, if at all possible would have happened. The Mystique Captain took us back to San Pedro and made sure we were attended to. Our luggage was taken and loaded for us into a vehicle and we were driven back to the airport where we waited a short time for our flight, this time in a bigger small plane flown equally as well and professionally. Our time at the airport in Belize City was spent in the little shops picking up last minute souvenirs and drinking iced coffees.

Customs back into the states was easy, even with the food items, seashells straight out of the ocean, and gifts we had. Only the Chocolate Kahlua mix I bought at the Belize City airport caused a problem and that was only at a connecting flight in Dallas when the NSA thought it was a bottle of liquid. (it's a dry mix in a bottle) FYI, check all seashells in your checked luggage. Also, check them for critters...just trust me. :(

Mike and I highly recommend Las Terrazas. He has been to a lot of Caribbean destinations and says Belize (and Las Terrazas) is the best! I haven't been to a lot of places, but I know heaven when I see it....and we WILL see it again!!!!

Thank you Las Terrazas, for the wonderful memories.

Stacy and Mike <3

4 Thank StacyAnnMartinez
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband and I were married at Las Terrazas in September 2013. The experience, from start to finish, was so easy and seamless. We planned our wedding with Carolyn, the resort's wedding planner, who is located in Houston. We are lucky enough to be in the same town as Carolyn, but to be completely honest, most all of our planning was through email or phone. She was so easy to work with and helpful. She understood our vision and provided alternatives and solutions that fit within our budget. We also had our welcome cocktail hour and rehearsal dinner at the resort. I was scared that having all the wedding events at the same location would get a little boring, but we were able to have the events at different parts of the resort and it turned out great. The staff at the resort is so friendly and helpful. They helped coordinate 80+ wedding guests' activities and requests. Ovel and his team executed our wedding plans perfectly. Our friends and family had nothing but great things to say about the resort and the wedding. Our wedding was an amazing experience we will never forget. We truly appreciate everyone at Las Terrazas and hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Seahouse is amazing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christinenm9
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Four of us went down for a ladies getaway and simply fell in love with Las Terrazas and Ambergris Caye. None of us wanted to go back home. The stay was beautiful and because of the time of year we picked, we had the resort nearly to ourselves. The staff was friendly and eager to answer our myriad of questions or to advise and arrange for our day trips. We had a bit of an issue early on with the a/c unit for one of the bedroom and the washer went out several times. As soon as we called it in, the maintenance staff was prompt, courteous, and got us fixed up in no time. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Given the size of the resort, there is no "bad" room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family