“I would give it 6 stars if I could!”

Las Terrazas Resort
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Houston, Texas, United States
“I would give it 6 stars if I could!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My company chose Las Terrazas as the location for this year's company meeting and we primarily worked with Carolyn Stone to plan the trip and coordinate the logistics. Employees were allowed to bring spouses though so it was both a business and personal trip for most of our guests. Since we were traveling primarily for business though, we required a meeting room space and other amenities that I found were not offered by many of the other hotels on San Pedro. I called/emailed just about all of them and only 1 or 2 others even had the capacity to hold us and/or a conference area. Las Terrazas was perfectly suited to meet our needs and we are very pleased with our decision.

Upon arrival (using Tropic Ferry for transfers) we were greeted with offers for neck massages in the open air lobby. I was taken aback by how beautiful the property was and how much it looked just like the pictures on the website. I was led to my room (111) which was on the first floor and directly faced the pool. Again, the room looks exactly like the pictures. The suite is immaculate and incredibly large--you could easily fit a family of four (or more) in there as there are 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. I didn't even realize there was a second bedroom with twin beds in it until the 2nd day of our trip.

On our first evening, we had planned a dinner at the rooftop of O Restaurant. It had just been renovated and opened up that day. The chef, Patrick, met with me prior to the dinner to show me the restaurant area and confirm menu options. The staff was incredibly accommodating and the food was pretty good. (sidenote: I've found that Belizean food in general isn't all that *spectacular* but perhaps that's just a personal preference--in sum, no complaints about the food though.)

On the 2nd day of the trip we had planned a 4 hour meeting. We were given the option of an indoor conference room or the barefoot in the sand meeting room option. We chose the latter. Unfortunately it was raining all morning so we weren't able to enjoy this as much as we would have liked but Las Terrazas had set up a tent for us (at a very reasonable price) so the meeting still went on without any problems. Due to the wind/rain, we had to keep one of the tent walls closed, blocking our view of the ocean but occasionally when the rain would pass, we would bring the tent wall down and catch the most amazing and peaceful views Las Terrazas also provided a projector and screen for us to use during the meeting as well as electrical outlets for us to connect laptops.

Immediately following the meeting, we were served a lunch buffet which was set up in the tent. Again, very necessary since it continued raining a bit through lunch. Following that, we did a group snorkeling activity. Carolyn had helped us set up a snorkeling excursion at Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley. Awesome experience and it was nice to have her handle the scheduling and coordination of that for us.

That evening we were scheduled to have a Bonfire BBQ. Because of the weather, this was canceled and so we had a buffet dinner in the tent.

All in all, the trip was awesome. Being there felt like paradise. I was a little hesitant about it being so far north of the main town but those worries were eased once I realized how tranquil it is on the north part of San Pedro and that we're only a 15min water taxi ride ($5 each way) away from the main town. If I had to make any complaints, it would be that the internet on site had intermittent outages. But when you're at such a beautiful location, that should be the least of your concerns.

In sum, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Several of the people in our group, including myself, have already mentioned wanting to make return trips back.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kcfallen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My friends and I spent 8 days at Las Terrazzas. Halfway through, I proposed to my girlfriend. I trusted the Staff, specifically Evan, to help me plan this. He and the Master Chef helped me plan every detail down to what I would say and how I would present the ring. Having their expertise to draw from made this stressful event much easier and more enjoyable. They got the staff together and communicated what was going on and what each person's role was. The surprise and the proposal went off flawlessly, with every staff member playing his or her part convincingly. We stayed in a beautiful room that was well decorated and enjoyed an amazing Dinner that was perfectly suited to our tastes. Our waiter, Kahrim, did an awesome job. He was very attentive, but allowed us to enjoy our time together. This memory could not be better in any way. If you have this or another event, I would trust Evan, Kahrim, Mr. Curl, and the Chef to make it happen.

Other than that, we enjoyed getting to know Bernie, Flor, Jamal, Eroy, LeRon, and the rest of staff during our time there. Their personalities and customer service added a lot to our stay. The resort is beautiful and relaxed. The pool is beautiful and clean as were both of the rooms we stayed in. I enjoyed the food and drink menus and even ate Thanksgiving dinner there, which was also excellent. From the moment you step on the boat at arrival to the moment you step off at departure, the staff takes a personal interest in your stay. My fiancee and I plan to return to Las Tarrazzas. Feel free to email me with questions.

-Tommy Crouch
iamtcrouch@yahoo.com

Room Tip: There is a multi-level 3 BR with the master bedroom on it's own level. Three of the walls are fu...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
allendale, NJ
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We just got back last Dec 2 2013 from another FUN FUN FUN vacation with lots of love and kindness from the whole staff at Las Terrazas.. Shout out to Leron, Eroy, Carl, Noreen, Flor, Albert, Kareem, Jamal, Shovell, Patrick and David...It's our 3rd time to come back and spend our annual thanksgiving holiday with all, and you never cease to amaze us...
Your love, kindness and assistance to our needs are very well appreciated and you will be MISSED a LOT...especially by our son, Miko
Hopeing to see you all REAL SOON...This hotel is a place away from your own home...Clean, serene and suuper peaceful and just gives a HAPPY AURA...You come back rested from staying at Las Terrazas.

Room Tip: need i say more? im very particular with the places i stay for vacations..THIS is absolutely a 5 sta...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were greeted with rum punch and massages. The meal plan came with complimentary room service. The complimentary use of all of the water equipment was a great way to relax and still entertain ourselves. The staff was very friendly and talkative and their service was great. We went mid Nov which was great as the weather was amazing and the peak season had not started yet. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a relaxing honeymoon where there is still plenty to do in addition to just water activities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Las Tarrazas for one week Nov 7 to 14, 2013. It was an escape holiday following a death in my immediate family. Though I would recommend waiting until later in Nov or more specifically further away from the end of the rainy season to go to Belize to be sure you won't get rain 80% of the time as we did, I would however, highly recommend you stay at Las Terrazas no matter when you go.
I did extensive research before picking a destination and even more research into hotel properties once I picked an island. I picked Las Terrazas based on reviews and photos, I didn't know anyone who had stayed there. I am very picky with my accommodations, though I like to do things off property and try different restaurants etc, the comfort and luxury of my immediate surroundings is important to me when you are spending this kind of money.
The Rooms: We started our stay in a plunge pool penthouse - very fun indeed. The Rooms are beautiful, very clean and modern, our bed was very comfortable, we had two bathrooms and every other modern convenience. We only used one of the 3 bedrooms but this suite would be great for 2 couples or a family with a full kitchen etc. The hotel manager David showed us a few more rooms as we were interested to see them and all of them were pretty amazing. He also did us a huge solid that we were grateful for and that made our trip so much more special. If you are one couple then the one bedroom resort view rooms are perfect. Very big units. If you don't care about view at all then the Lagoon rooms would be fine for you though they face the back of the property which is not that attractive but the rooms are all large apts. with great finishes. We were in room 345 for reference.
The Grounds: A very attractive infinity pool is the centre point of the property and it is surrounded by large tables covered by tent tops and pretty curtains. Great for getting out of the sun (or rain) to eat lunch. The entire property is very well groomed with a large staff attending to details from early morning. Even the millions of harmless sandflies (or whatever those bugs are that congregate around lights in the evening and die overnight) have a person assigned to sweeping them and getting rid of them by morning. Marco was our guy and he was very friendly and diligent!
The Food: I am a foodie no doubt. We plan trips around meals and restaurants. Due to the weather and our lack of desire to research given the reason for our trip, we at at O restaurant a lot. Breakfast everyday, lunch most days and dinner 4 out of 7 times. We never had a bad meal, in fact we thoroughly enjoyed most of our meals. The food was top notch and the variety was good. Our only complaint was the wine selection was fairly pedestrian but there was one bottle that we were happy with. Ivan the bartender was excellent and his exotic drinks were extra yummy.
The staff: This is the best part of this review. I've never been anywhere with such lovely consistent staff - we really enjoyed chatting with them all and found them incredibly helpful and professional. They dressed well and their uniforms pristine no matter how hard it was raining. Most of them knew our names early on in our stay. I read a review about a staff member knowing how a guest took their coffee after the first morning and kept it coming and this same thing happened to us. I take my coffee with cream and honey and after the first day my fave waitress Lucely showed up with cream and a small pot of honey at my table. Her attention to detail was perfect. Another example was that my husband likes his beer very cold, he asked about colder beer the first night we arrived and from them on, as soon as they saw him coming, they'd automatically put two beers on ice for him. Another night we stayed a bit late at the bar with some new friends and the staff happily stayed. We found out later they all missed their usual boat home to San Pedro but none of them showed any kind of agitation at all. Very professional staff. We also had a fondness for other regular servers, Nigel, Marco, Miguel, Manuel (front desk), Evan (rest. mgr), Ivan (again) and I know another couple we got to know really liked Noreen. The Spa was very nice, Renata gave an excellent deep tissue massage and another lovely girl whose name I don't recall was also very good (sorry, feel free to post it if you know!) I hope I didn't miss anyone.
Las Terrazas is about 4.5 miles from San Pedro, if you are someone who wants to be in town everyday, prepare to spend a lot of time on the boat taxis (about 5 minutes in the boat but timing your trips etc is a bit of a nuisance). The golf cart ride is an adventure but at this time of year, treacherous due to potholes and road flooding! If you are happy to stay put a lot of the time and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings, great staff and food, pretty beachfront then this is the place for you. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. The only thing we could see them improving on is their wine selection and the music played in the restaurant (not much attention paid to this but we are music people so we think this could add to the ambience). Also we can't judge some things because we weren't there in high season but would suggest a more "happening" after dinner cocktail area which could be the rooftop bar (not open when we were there), or the reception area under the large hut as there is a small pool bar right there.
Overall 5 out of 5 for most elements. This is a long review but this hotel, their management and staff deserve the extra words.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, plunge pool rooms very nice and fun. Resort view rooms lovely.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JilliandeCartier
Paris, Texas
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Before a vacation I review pictures and information on where we will be staying. This is the first time that the accommodations were more wonderful than what I had seen online. Service was beyond excellent, the food at the restaurant was fabulous , the staff went above and beyond what we expected. We are definitely going for another visit .

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Rattlers11
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I recently celebrated our 40th birthdays at Las Terrazas. After staying in the Pine Mountain Reserve (Blancaneaux Lodge) in the rain, it was a welcome relief to enjoy the sun, sand and surf for three days at this wonderful resort. The rooms were beautifully appointment, the resort spotless, the staff outstanding, the diving world class, and the food amazing.
We had the opportunity to stay in a three bedroom villa with a mangrove (towards the back of the property) view. However, we were also able to see the ocean beyond the top of the "O" restaurant. The full kitchen allowed us to reheat some leftovers, but was not used much. It is certainly suited for full meal prep for a family and more. All modern appliances and conveniences.
The on site restaurant "O" was terrific. We had breakfast there every morning (a big fan of the banana chocolate chip pancakes). And, a very special treat, a private dinner on our balcony prepared especially by the chef. The service was perfect and everyone knew our preferences and had available without asking (which juice, extra milk etc.) after the first day.
The resort itself was spotless and the staff incredibly friendly. The "friendly" iguanas, Orioles, and hummingbirds were very pleasant neighbors.
The pool was perfect for swimming laps and kept spotless as well.
We took advantage of the dive shop White Sands for two days of dives - first with a two tank reef dive and then a trip to Hol Chan and shark ray alley. The dive shop and the divemasters were incredibly professional and competent and at the same time great guides and guys. The reef was very vibrant and we were able to see an abundance of marine life, sharks, rays, eels, etc.
We also took the opportunity to go into San Pedro for two dinners. Wild Mango (ad excellent restaurant) and Waramaguma a locals Salvadorian restaurant were big hits. One word of advice for the those who make the trek from the resort to town, is that it IS a bit of a trek. By bike it is a long 4 miles on the beach with some traffic and by golf cart and very bumpy and sometimes desolate (at night) 30 minute trip. Either option is acceptable if you are prepared. A better option if the schedule fits appropriately is the water taxi that picks you up right at the resorts dock. We chose the golf cart to have the flexibility with timing.
I would not hesitate for a minute to return or to recommend the resort to others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple