“Best vacation i have had in years”

Las Terrazas Resort
Ranked #10 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 24 November 2009

From the moment the taxi driver greeted my party at the San Pedro airport nothing but top notch service. I cannot rave enough about the staff and their customer service. "No we cannot do that" simply does not exist at this resort. The grounds, location, weather are/were magnificent.

Thank you to David, Jason, Roberto, Kerl and all the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 November 2009

I am a Belizean and my wife is American and after a lot of searching for destinations in various parts of the world, we decided to get married at Las Terrazas in Belize. There is only one word to describe our experience: Perfect!!!

STAFF:
Carolyn and Loraine in Sales: Perfect - extremely responsive - While planning a destination wedding, responsiveness is THE most important thing. We were always on the same page with everyone and always felt comfortable.

David and Ovel - Onsite Management: Perfect - They paid attention to our every need and were incredibly helpful. We wanted to get married on the beach but because of the weather we had to go to plan B. I think plan B turned out to be as good, if not better, than plan A. David and I spoke daily about any possible changes because of the weather and he never made us feel like we were being annoying!

Curl and other Reception Staff - PERFECT - Curl was always on top of everything. From making sure our guests felt welcome when they arrived to teaching the kids how to use the Hobie sailboat. Whenever we had a question we would run to reception and we got the answers we were hoping for. EXCELLENT!

Ronald and Robert and other wait staff - Perfect - Ronald makes the BEST margarita in the world and Robert made everyone happy during meals and at our wedding reception. We always felt comfortable and they were always happy and quick to say hello and asked if we needed help. They made us feel like we were all friends and they addressed us by our names.

(This was supposed to be quick review and I haven't even mentioned the actual resort yet!!!)

Ok, the resort: Las Terrazas is incrediby quiet and hidden (which was what I wanted) but we had access to many restaurants nearby and were able to jump on a 5 minute ferry to town for even more restaurants and more activites. Location was perfect. The water was beautiful, the beach was well kept and the kayaks were great. (I recommend kayaking out to the reef at least once while you are there. It is incredible just being out there listening to the sound of the waves and looking at the island from afar).

Rooms: Words can't describe the rooms at this place and the pictures on the website really don't do them justice. We had a seahouse that was unbelievable. The decor in every room was tastefully done. The kitchen/living/dining areas were great.

Pool: Incredibly sexy pool. Big and spacious but with such character. Walking by the pool you feel like you just need to jump in.

I can go on and on for days about all the things we did and how great this entire experience was! All in all, we had a perfect wedding in a perfect setting with perfect service!

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank DionP
Reviewed 29 October 2009

My wife and I went to Belize for our honeymoon and stayed at Las Terrazas. We had an excellent time! The resort is emaculate. The staff was very helpful and very friendly. Jason the bartender took great care of us and answered any questions we had. The room itself could not be topped! It was like having our own apartment in the resort. The snorkaling was amazing, the water was beautiful and the white sand seemed to go on forever. Everybody was very friendly and made us feel very much at home. If there was any downside it would be the distance between the resort and any other restaruants/stores. But who's really compaining when your sitting on a white sand beach, sipping on a Belikin in Belize! We had an absolutely perfect stay at Las Terrazas and thank them and their staff for the hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dgriggs77
Reviewed 29 October 2009

On a recent stay my girlfriends and I had a truly amazing time at Las Terrazas Resort. The units are more then hotel rooms, they are fully equipped apartments. We had room 217 which had a huge terrace that overlooked the ocean and had views of the island. The resort website photos do not do justice to the pool, it is truly an impressive pool. The pool is long and deep to do laps and generally just lounge. The staff was completely accommodating. Everyone was available to make our stay wonderful. It is impossible to express in words how one feels completely relaxed at this resort. The resort is located ideally on the island, not to far away from downtown San Pedro, yet far enough to appreciate the island beauty. The resort is what made our trip fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2009

A few friends & I decided to take a trip Labor Day weekend to Belize, and heard great things of Las Terrazas Resort. My brother-in-law is looking to have a destination wedding next February, a girlfriend recommended Las Terrazas.

It was amazing! we had a 3 bedroom penthouse with a Plunge Pool - which we used nightly! The staff was very warm and friendly. They had kayaks & Hobie Sail boats for resort guests complimentary. Their Pool is spectacular and the bartendar makes the most amazing margaritas!

We went on a $40.00 snorkeling trip which was amazing, we had a boat all to ourselves and the guide was entertaining. well worth the $40!

Las Terrazas is a great location just a water taxi away from night life, which was quite an experience! We also rented a supped up golf cart! took the back roads to local restaurants and drove through the town.

The only downside we had was their restaurant "O" was not completed yet so we went over to their sister property Journey's Inn to eat Dinner. (food was mediocre)...the local restaurants are awesome!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank HaYnJazz
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I stayed at Las Terrazas with 2 friends and we had a great time but there were quite a few issues with the staff and the hotel. The staff gave us the most expensive option for etting to the hotel from San Pedro. When we arrived we saw we could have gotten there much cheaper. Not a great way to start our visit. Then we made a reservation at a hotel on the other side of the Island and we were told by a bartender at another hotel that they gave free taxi service from the water taxi. We asked the woman at the front desk of Las Terrazas to call and ask to set up this arrangment and she told us that they didn't offer this for free. She was adamant. I asked her to call and check anyway. With an eyeroll, she complied, and guess what!? They did in fact offer this free service.
At the bar when we arrived the bartender told us he could make anything, so my friend ordered a pina colada...but the bar tender said he didnt have pineapple...I ordered a margarita but then he said they didn't have lime. Basically because it was off season they stopped buying anything for the bar and just gave up. We stopped ordering from the bar after that.
The smell from the sinks and showers didn't go away as the manager noted in another post. It smells like sulfur. Pretty gross.
I also had a cricket stuck in my wall of the hotel (not that its their fault) but it drove me absolutely crazy every night.
The rooms were beautifully decorated, huge and we loved them. We also loved the pool and the beach.
We had to ask every time for beach towels or anything while at the pool. If this were really 4 star the staff would have brought those to us without us having to get them anf they would have asked if we wanted anything to eat/drink while there. When we did get food the staff just left it there and they didn't seem to clean it up right away.
I was also told the restaurant would be done when we got there and it was no where near complete. The staff apologized but there was banging of hammers the entire week.
I felt like the staff was just not all that helpful or knowledgeable, though very nice.
The gym was pretty lame, too.
I would recommend this place to a family because you can cook and clean in the apartment but it's pretty out of the way from the other resorts. The place itself is very nice looking and it was relaxing.
I also felt like because it was off season they could have given us a discount on bikes or gold cart rental or the trips overall. The hotel we stayed at before, Blancaneaux did this without us even asking which was amazing. When we asked for an upgrade in our room because only a few other people were staying there they told us only ifwe paid more for it. Seemed silly when barely any rooms were occupied and they're trying to spread word of mouth for the new place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank gouldliz
JERLT, Director of Sales at Las Terrazas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2009

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Las Terrazas Resort. We were pleased to hear that you had a great time. As we are constantly looking for opportunities to improve, comments such as yours are extremely valuable to us.

We are excited to announce that when we open after "slow season" on October 5th, O Restaurant will also open. Construction delays prevented this fabulous restaurant ,with an exciting menu featuring International and Central American cuisine, from opening late Summer as we hoped.

During this limited period that the resort is closed (until October 5) we are taking this opportunity to address the issue with the well water. When we installed a new well a few months ago, we thought the problem was solved. This is currently being worked on in time for the upcoming season.

I agree, our two bedroom / two bath Patio Suites, which is what you enjoyed while with us, are huge at over 1,600 square feet! The beautifully decorated rooms feature, among many other amenities not found elsewhere on the island, furniture handcrafted from Belizean wood.

The work out room, is just that; and not a gym. We have learned that the majority of our guests use the outdoor activities, such as snorkeling, diving, free use of the kayaks and hobie cats and great walks or bicycle rides along the beach as their means of exercising while at Las Terrazas Resort. The limited equipment provided is for those that really want to excercise on a rare rainy day.

We look forward to improving our service based on your feed back and welcoming you back to Las Terrazas Resort so that you may experience our changes first hand.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your comments.

Carolyn Stone
Director of Sales

Reviewed 12 September 2009

It's very difficult to give a perfect rating, but my wife and I cannot find anything that we did not like about las terrazas. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful, and the staff was magnificent from beginning to end. My wife and I got married here and we had our honeymoon here. Our first week consisted of our arriving on saturday night, choosing a ceremony spot sunday morning and getting married sunday afternoon. Everything went better than we had planned, we had 16 family members with us for the first week, and they all had nothing but great things to say about the hospitality and the beautiful rooms. We found that the resort is perfect for adults and children, with many activities for all. To list a few: There are dive trips, snorkeling trips, cave tubing trips, mayan ruin trips, zip lining trips, bicycles, kayaks, sailboats...etc. I must admit, we did them ALL!!!! We had our 3 year old with us for the first week, and she had a ball. The infinity pool at the resort is perfect for adults and toddlers alike. The staff, from Oval, to rinna, to curl, to manuel, to jason our favorite bartender, made our stay very enjoyable, and pointed us in all of the right directions............We apologize for being so general, but its impossible to describe everything in complete detail. As for eating, the Luna restaurant was delicious(its the resort restaurant)......the dinner menu changes daily, making it something new and exciting each time. One night, my wife and I got back late from an excursion, and we were in the mood for the lunas menu from the night before. It was too late to go into town at that point, so we brought our predicament to ovals attention. Oval took the time to call the chef and ask if he would make us dinner from the night before's menu. It was as good as done. It's the little things like that that keep me going back to a place. Other great places to eat are mambo restaurant which is up the shore at matachica resort, the blue water grill(we ate at both places twice!!), which is in san pedro, and the sunset grill, also in san pedro. There are water taxis to take you where you want to go, and they run into the midnight hour. If you do decide to eat at mambo, they have their own boat that comes to get you and brings you back for NO charge!! Before we forget, we would like to single out Oval and David(resort managers) for going the extra mile for our families, and carolyn stone, who did EVERYTHING to make our wedding run smoothly, and kept my wife sane throughout the entire process....we owe you big time, carolyn!!!! We would also like to endorse the husband/wife team Grumpy and Happy, who took us on 2 separate snorkeling trips, and they were absolutely terrific!! They knew where all of the hot spots were, and explained(in excess) everything that we encountered in our travels. If we forgot anything or anyone, we will come back and write another review...lol...hope this is helpful to future travelers......Oh, and one more thing: I'm 6'3 and 235 pounds and am a workout freak....when I first saw the fitness center, I was really disappointed. The room is tiny with just a few treadmills and some dumbells. I told my wife that I wasn't happy with it, and she basically said "shut up and take 2 weeks off and enjoy yourself!!" It kills me to admit it, but she was right, and I got all the working out I needed from all of the activities that we did................Scott and Joanna Ribisl

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family