“Secluded”
Review of Brahma Blue Resort

Brahma Blue Resort
Ranked #12 of 20 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We stayed here in January 2009 in an elite condo and were fortunately able to get a good deal for it. The room, as with the entire resort, was beautiful, spacious, and clean. As other reviewers have noted, the resort is new, and they are still working out several kinks, including the generator noise and development of the space.

Also as mentioned in other reviews, the resort is completely secluded. There is nothing on the island other than the restaurant and hotel--if you need food, water, or anything else, you will have to bring it yourself from San Pedro. We were the only people staying there for the majority of our trip. This was to our benefit because the staff, in particular the water taxi drivers, was very attentive and accommodating. We could essentially take the boat to San Pedro and return at our leisure. I am not sure this will be the case as more guests stay here, but it was very handy for us.

The food at the restaurant was delicious, albeit exceptionally pricey. While I recognize the dinner is considered Indian fine dining and definitely appreciate the quality, the breakfast and lunch items as well as the beverages were particularly overpriced. It was more worth it to take the boat into town to have a drink. That being said, I would recommend having a rum punch on the restaurant's deck at least once!

The staff was very helpful in arranging activities (snorkeling, etc) and connecting flights.

Likely because of the weather (rainy on the first day; windy the next), the pool was FREEZING.

We look forward to returning in a year or two when the resort is more developed.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank pinkcoatb

Reviewed 21 January 2009

My family and I stayed at this new resort in their opening weeks. We experienced excellent customer service with the resort and restaurant staff. The location was idyllic although there were bugs (only at dusk for about an hour). I appreciated that the resort was on set apart from San Pedro (it's on the neighbouring island) as I felt quite safe allowing my children to explore the isand without worry. The condos were excellently appointed with all the amenities and comforts of home (i.e. a fully equipped kitchen and daily housekeeping). It was quiet and peaceful with a convenient and quick taxi ride to San Pedro. I was pleasantly suprised by all things that were available for families to do and the resort staff was very helpful in putting together all our excursions and expeditions. The restaurant was excellent. The food was very consistent and very fresh. They are still working out the kinks as it's new and the location is new, but it was a very enjoyable stay and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank CalgaryMoto
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This property does not live up to their description. The rooms overlook construction sites. They rely on generators (so there are daily/nightly blackouts when it switches generators). Also, the generator is located directly outside the hotel rooms, so you hear it buzz all day and night long.

They don't have internet or wifi access for their guests as promised on their website.

Their "complimentary water taxi" runs infrequently and at very inconvenient times. Furthermore, where it picks up and drops you off at in San Pedro is not a safe area - especially for women, single travelers, or children.

It is very obvious their first and main concern are their restaurant guests, not their hotel guests. Something they don't mention until you show up is that they only offer the water taxi if they have restaurant reservations that night (their restaurant was almost always empty). We stayed there four nights, and two of the nights we had to charter a private boat to get us back to the island - which gets quite pricey.

They also have a terrible mosquito problem. We couldn't sit on our balcony because it was covered with bugs.

San Pedro is awesome, but you will be much better off staying anywhere else on Ambergris Caye itself, not here where you will be isolated and stranded.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jpatnewyork
ggordon, Manager at Brahma Blue Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2009

Our website clearly states that we are "private and secluded". Our resort is for vacationers who are looking for that kind of environment. The excitment of San Pedro town is a mere boat ride away. We do offer more than 16 "water taxi" pick up and drop offs daily starting @8:30AM until 11PM. On a number of occasions our staff have picked up and dropped off guests outside of our regular scheduled times. This can easily be done with prior arrangement. Our staff have been available to guests as late as 1AM.
As to the safety of our boat dock area; this area primarily houses fishing vessels. A number of these boats are home to the fishermen.They have frequetly gone out of their way to assist our guest by providing directions, a golf cart ride, or a boat ride back to the resort. They may not be well polished, however they are hardworking, honest individuals who are a rich part of our San Pedro community.
As far as the internet service is concerned, we rely on a satelite system given our location. Yes, at times it can be unreliable, however both Wifi and wired internet services are available. We have a dedicated PC for guest use. Internt service is not a feature of our resort. It is merely an amenity we offer to our guests.
Again because of our location, we have to supply our own enegry(generators). In doing so we strive to be responsible stewards for this non-renewable resource. At times we do shut down our generators to conserve energy. This may be inconvenient to some, however it's never been to the detrement of the guest experience. I recognize that our resort is not suited for everyone. I would like to thank Jpatnewyork for staying with us and for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 January 2009

I stayed here 12/27-31. It is a new condo resort across the lagoon from San Pedro and is not beachfront/oceanfront, although they do have two sand/beach areas along the lagoon. The pool is nice but there is no snack or bar service. The rooms are spacious and very nice (granite counters, comfortable beds, good linens, fully supplied kitchen, etc.) The resort is very secluded from town because of it's location across the lagoon. They have a private boat to take you back and forth which runs about every 1.5 hours (first boat at 8:30 and last at around 10.) I went diving early and one of the chefs took me over at 5:30PM which was very nice. I made arrangements to stay in town late one evening and was promised to have a boat pick me up at 11PM. No one was there so I had to call over to the restaurant and ask the chef to pick me up (which he graciously did). Staff try to be helpful but aren't always around (front desk was closed by 8PM). The restaurant (Indian) is very good (note: there is no room service.) Each condo has a TV but no phone or alarm clock. I used my cell phone to wake me up and they provide a wake up service. The grocery store is only 4 blocks from the dock in San Pedro but they really should offer a grocery service for guests as a convenience. The property runs 100% on generators and they are noisy (not bad if you keep your doors and windows closed but loud if you open them). We lost power every day in the evening.

I had a fine time but wouldn't stay at Brahma Blue again for the reasons stated above. I'd wait until they get the kinks worked out. If you are looking for romantic seclusion or don't mind the inconvenience of not being able to get into town when you want to without waiting up to an hour for a boat and don't mind heading back to your room by 10 each night then it's okay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2008

I just got back from a four-day stay at Brahma Blue and absolutely loved it. Its remote location allowed me to unwind and relax when I wanted to and yet I could hop into a water taxi and go snorkeling, visit San Pedro or go on other excursions whenever I wanted as well.

I loved the swimming pool area and the west side of the property the most. The swinging lounges, the pier and the water were all very conducive to relaxing and enjoying a nice sunset. The balcony off my room also offered a spectacular view and was a perfect place to sit and read a book. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the bathroom. What an amazing shower! It was a great place to go to after spending the day in ocean or tubing through a cave!

I had my 16-year-old son with me on this recent trip to Brahma Blue and was my way of trying to reconnect with him after a very busy year filled with changes in our personal life. The staff at Brahma Blue helped us plan excursions that both of us would love and we ended up doing something each day that we enjoyed - snorkeling, cave tubing, hanging around the beach or shopping in San Pedro. The relaxed pace at Brahma Blue also allowed my son and I to just relax, hang out and spend some quality time together. As a woman traveling without an adult partner, I felt completely safe on the resort and was thrilled to not have to worry about vendors trying to sell us stuff or anything like that. Safety is a concern for me on vacations and I had no worries at Brahma Blue.

My only dilemma is trying to figure out when I'll get back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2008

So we came across an add for Brahma Blue when I was searching for popular vacation spots. Mexico came up on more than one occasion too, but let's face it.....Mexico has become too dangerous and boring already. We are sooooo happy we chose to go to Belize! Great weather, so much to do and an awesome nightlife. I would highly suggest this as a vacation spot to anyone looking to get away for spring break or young couples looking for a honeymoon spot. My boyfriend and I could not have been any more pleased with the decision we made to go to Belize. See you next December Belize:)

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I am not usually one to take risks on a brand new resort for a holiday, considering my time away is sacred, but this is one risk I am so glad I took and would recommend it to anyone!

Brahma Blue is new-ish (i think a year old) and it's a great time for anyone who needs a week or two or four away to unwind.

List of highlights: THE FOOD at Blue Lotus (the resort's restaurant), the fact that it's on its own island, the amazingly nice staff, THE FOOD, the pool, the spa treatments, the amazing sunset, the lovely people of Belize, how chilled out the island of San Pedro is which is five minutes away (the actual island Madonna sings about in her La Isla Bonita song), the Pina Coladas at Blue Lotus, THE FOOD (did i mention that already?), the very beautiful condos, the comfortable beds, really this list could go on...

Things that could be improved: the bugs at dusk...and really that's it.

Yes, this may sound too good to be true, but I swear, I travel a lot and this place was by far the best resort experience I have ever had. The fact that the owners are on site makes this experience even better, and the small-ness, and comfortable nature of it should not be missed.

It's perfect for a family get-away, friends get-away, mother/daughter get-aways, couples get-away, even someone on their own who needs to just be in a place of serenity to find themselves again.

• Stayed: November 2008