“Perfection in Every Way”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
“Perfection in Every Way”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have to echo the sentiment of everyone's reviews. This place is hands down the best place I have ever stayed at, and worth the extra money.

First the hotel itself is immaculately maintained, the rooms are well-designed and the staff pays attention to every last detail. For example, I noted when there were only 1 or 2 tissues left in the tissue box one day, the next day it was replaced with a new box. Every day shampoos, lotions, etc. were replaced with new bottles. I mean literally every corner of our A-9 suite was cleaned anew every day, making us feel like we were the first people to ever stay there. Not to mention the flowers that adorned our suite upon our arrival. Pool was immaculate, the grounds are gorgeous, etc. Every staff member is friendly and warm. The only complaint, and literally, the only complaint I can even think of, is that I wish there was a closer mirror in the bathroom other than the wall mirror and the small hand-held mirror - it's hard to do makeup.

We mostly stayed on the property since we were having a relaxing, laid-back vacation. San Pedro itself was not the "beachy" "quaint" town that I expected from others' reviews, but it was nice enough to walk around during the day. We rented a golf cart one day and drove up north and then back down south around the island, and saw places that you can't see on foot. Another day we took a water taxi to Caye Caulker, had lunch and kayaked around the island. For a couple, it's a relaxing, leisurely vacation and it's the type of place you can make what you want out of it - sit by the pool every day and order drinks from Rolondo, or go diving, scuba, etc. I highly recommend the sunset cruise booked through the hotel - it was a fun way to end our week.

We mostly ate at Red GInger, which was surprisingly better than I anticipated. Went to Blue Water Grill for sushi night which wasn't bad. Other than that, we'd mostly walk the beach and grabbed lunch anywhere that looked interesting.

Perfect hotel. Perfect vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in A-9, the 1- bedroom beachfront suite. Well worth it. There is simply not a bad room at...
4 Thank Lunawink4247

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
Tucker, Georgia
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed mid May. We had a two bedroom ocean front condo. The rooms were incredible. Very spacious and well appointed. Flat screens in both bedrooms and a big flat screen in the den area though we didn't use them much except early morning or late evening. It is perfectly located in town. You don't need a golf cart. You could walk anywhere in town. We rented two bikes one day for $20 total and took a ride north of town about a mile or so to the Palapa Bar. The pool area was nice with a bar right there. We ate on the property twice and both were very good. We saw other reviews about bugs(mosquitoes) on Ambergris Caye but we never saw a single one. The only thing we felt could have been better was if they had a beach. The Phoenix has no beach front. So if you want to walk out of your unit and right onto the beach, this isn't the place for you. But besides that I would go back there tomorrow if I could. We definitely plan on going back.

Room Tip: third floor corner has much larger balcony with 270 degree view of pool area and ocean.
7 Thank RonW30084
Dallas
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

This is really a great place to stay. We are staying in a 2 bedroom beach front room. Very modern and nice interior. Wonderful large patio looking out on beach. Staff is super friendly. Nice pool with a bar. Easy walking distance to restaurants and bars. Very happy with choosing this property.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RichardDallas
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The Phoenix is an excellent choice if you are staying in San Pedro. It is in town so no need for transportation-everything is within walking distance. The resort does have beautiful grounds and a super staff. Though I've seen reviews that make it sound like a honeymoon place it really isn't because there is only a single 1 bedroom suite. All of the rest are 2 or 3 bedroom, so really this place is perfect for an upscale family vacation. The rooms are large and my son appreciated the abundance of pillows, which became his personal pillow fort. You have a full scale kitchen so you don't have to go broke eating out and if you have fussy kids you can prepare their favorites. My only issue is a design one. This is not an inexpensive place but the decor just felt unfinished and a little unimaginative. There were plenty of display areas in the kitchen, entertainment centers,coffee table, and walls that were just blank. Also there was no dining table. There was a drop leaf table pushed against a wall but they specifically ask you not to rearrange your furniture, and I know why after hearing a neighbor doing just that. So if you don't want furniture moved you need to include a nice round dining table for games, cards, dinner, even some work. There is plenty of room for such a table and it would have been nice to have. One last little complaint is about the poor cabinet design which I have no doubt was done by some man who never in his life actually opened a kitchen cabinet nor understood the design concept of form following function. There are no handles, just indentations under the cabinet, annoying enough, but then they also put the indentations at opposite ends of the two cabinets instead of next to each other. I broke two nails opening those poorly designed cabinets. Overall it is a lovely place and I would love to do a family reunion type trip here with a lot of family. It would be perfect. I would definitely consider staying here again for the perfect beds, lovely staff, and great spa and restaurant on the grounds. You won't be unhappy with your visit. One last point that speaks to how great this is for families is the in suite washer/dryer. If you are traveling with kids its great to have and allows you to pack super light because you can launder at your convenience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank susanono
Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to the Phoenix in the last 3 years and we enjoyed this trip even more than the last! We arrived on a Saturday and had to spend one night in a 2 bedroom suite since our room would not be available until Sunday. The staff had written in flower petals "welcome back" on our bed prior to our arrival and it might as well have said "welcome home."

Wow, that one very small inconvenience was totally worth it....we ended up in room A-9, which is the top floor one bedroom suite that was originally designed a 2 bedroom. Subsequently, the room is enormous and has 270 degree views of the water from the living room and kitchen area. We would HIGHLY recommend this unit if you only need a one bedroom as it is clearly the best at the resort.

The staff was friendly, unobtrusive, and readily available for any request you could possibly imagine. Red Ginger was a truly delicious experience the 3 times we ate there and we fortunately went on a Monday (half price wine bottles, try the Montelena Chardonnay!) and on a Wednesday (tapas and sangria night). Poolside service is great, although I spent more time under water than bellied up to the bar.

The resort is immaculately maintained and our housekeepers did a great job cleaning up each day. Security was great as well, as witnessed by two random tourists showing up at the pool and making themselves at home. They were politely asked to leave and this lets us know that the staff does really notice who the guests of the resort are!

Scuba diving with Chuck and Robbie's was fantastic as usual and we saw wild dolphins our last dive! We went with Amigos del Mar for our Blue Hole/Lighthouse Atoll trip and were blown away at the Half Moon Caye wall...best dive site I've done in the Caribbean.

San Pedro just fits us like a glove, with great dining options, plenty of arts/souvenir stores, and most importantly, GREAT PEOPLE. I don't know what it is about this place but the locals are just laid back and friendly, always willing to help you out if the need arises. Of course, the Phoenix is quite a different reality than just beyond its borders...there is relative poverty next door but you'd never know it if you didn't leave the resort.

We will be making this resort an annual excursion and quite possibly looking to retire in this area once the occasion calls for it. LOVE this place.

3 Thank Halluxone
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 May 2012

sometimes you stumble on a place that is perfect in every sense of the word. The Phoenix is that place for me and my wife. We celebrated our 5th anniversary there last week and it was truly amazing. This trip also marked our 4th stay at The Phoenix and it just seems to get better every time we visit. Every single employee - from management, to staff, to the groundskeepers who maintain the perfect landscaping... they all greet you with a smile, they say hello, and cater to every request. The weather was spectacular all week so we were able to enjoy walking around the entire town, fly-fishing, and eat / drink in some great restaurants. The Phoenix staff arranged several great outings for us including a trip to the Marco Gonzales Mayan ruins right there on the island of San Pedro. Our room (suite!) was perfect and we enjoyed morning, noon and night views of the Caribbean. FYI, every suite within The Phoenix has a perfect view. We can't wait to return! Thanks again to The Phoenix and your entire staff - you made our anniversary one to remember.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BoDaniel
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We spent four nights from March 31st to April 4th (room 3A) and thorougly enjoyed our stay. First the positives: Beautiful room and the kids loved the fact that our room was right next to pool. The 2BR condo was very nice and had everything we needed. I think an upper level room would have a fabulous view which i would have liked but having a lower floor was ok. Granite countertops and well appointed kitchen. 3TVs plus plenty of videos to watch at night. My 11 and 13 year old teenagers loved the pools. The beds were very comfortable and plenty of pillows. Fans in every room. I also received plenty of help from the staff. They were very attentive and helpful. I was lazy and had the staff book everything for me and it was perfect. Since i didnt have to worry about it, i was ok with the price. Went on a snorkle adventure with Alponse and he was superb. Again this is the guy if you want someone who knows the different types of fish and coral. I have snorkled throughout the Caribbean and this is the first guy that was really into his job. Enthusiasm was phenomenal. Book him, if you want to know everything that you are looking at. Also did a fly over the Blue Hole. Good but you should book that directly. we also went on an all day fish and snorkle day. That was highlight of the kids' trip as we caught snapper and then went to a private beach and ate what we caught. Ate dinner at Hidden Treasure and liked it. Book a reservation and they provided free pick up. (i think all the bigger restaurants will do that. No real reason for a car.)
The negatives:
I killed a big spider in my walk-in shower on day 1. Day 3 it was finally cleaned up. We ate in the room every day but soap for dishwasher was not replenished until day 3. Dish towell not replaced until day 3. I even put it on the foor after the first day. They picked it up and put it on the counter even though it was filthy with grease. Counters were not consistently wiped. I didnt complain becuase it wasnt the end of the world but i had hoped for more.
Keep in mind no real beach. People were friendly, good snorkling but Belize is not the place for a lay on the beach trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family