“Just returned, already booked for vacation next year!”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Just returned, already booked for vacation next year!”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We just returned from our stay at The Phoenix, and all I can say is AMAZING! The staff has definitely been well trained in the ART of customer service, and every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. Danny, Pam, Rose & Ted at the front desk are ready to help you make dinner reservations, book an excursion, or assist with whatever you need. The condo was beautifully furnished and well maintained.

The resort location was perfect - right in the heart of San Pedro. I researched other resorts before choosing The Phoenix, and one of the deciding factors for us was whether a boat was required to get to the resort. I didn't want to be at the mercy of the water taxi or resort shuttle to go back and forth into town - if the weather is inclement, it can be miserable traveling on the water.

The SOL Spa (onsite at Phoenix) is fantastic - Carrie (the owner) runs a very professional operation. This is a great way to pamper yourself during your vacation! I received several massages from Heather during the week - she's fantastic!!!

We ate at many restaurants on the island throughout the week, but the most memorable meals were at the Red Ginger (onsite). Their menu is fantastic, and they really do some unique entrees. One evening for dinner, I had one of their specials - a seafood casserole in a mushroom/wine sauce - yum! McLeish, Eli & Gini are three of the servers there, and they are wonderful! They made a dining experience even better!

Our diving excursions were through Ecologic Divers (located next to the resort) - they did a nice job (and were very convenient!). We also arranged a fly fishing trip through the "Tres Pescadors" fly fishing shop located down the block from the resort, also very enjoyable!

Our last night we ate at the Hidden Treasure restaurant (a little out of the way, but they will send a complimentary taxi for you if necessary). What a find! The service was fantastic, and the food was so flavorful and unique! I recommend the Pineapple Chicken and the stuffed Grouper (yum!). Bring the bug spray - you'll need it if there's no breeze (that goes for anywhere on the island).

Most of San Pedro is 'walkable', however we chose to rent a golf cart for the week to see more of the island. Not an inexpensive thing to do, but well worth the $ for the convenience of getting around and seeing more of the island and other resorts. We spoke with most of the cart rental companies around and chose Ultimate Rentals (near the airstrip). They had 24-hour access in case of a problem, their carts were well maintained, and their price was comparable. I would use them again. The Phoenix also has carts for rental as well.

I scheduled my vacation for next year before I left - I can't wait to go back! Thanks to everyone at The Phoenix for making our vacation very memorable!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kristin B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Villa Park, California
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We have traveled and dived alot throughout the Caribbean and this now is top of our list. We stayed for a week at the Phoenix and found our condo to be high quality and the staff always friendly and responsive. A big plus is the location at the center of town and convenient to walk to the dive shop, restaurants, grocery store, and shops. We went diving four days with Amigos del Mar which we also found friendly and responsive and booked two mainland excursions through the dive shop. We recommend the local food at Waruguma and El Fagon. Caprice is also good. Best papusas are the new El Salvadoran lady making them on a cart (called Burkger King!) in front of Richie's Market one block north of the Phoenix. Best bread is from the bakery north of the airport. Order stew chicken every opportunity you can. The two excursions we did were ATM and Cave Tubing/Zunantunich Ruins.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Meyers4
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Certainly the most modern hotel in the area. Service was very good. Location was great. Food at restaurant was well above most of the other restaurants in the area. Front desk is also very happy to give advice about other restaurants outside the hotel group. If going back there would definitely plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a good view. Enormous in size. Ocean can be seen from almost any room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ranger4542
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Today is my last day here in San Pedro, but I felt compelled to take a few minutes and review this fabulous place. We decided to stay here based on the countless positive reviews and the resort has exceeded our expectations. We booked 30 days before our arrival (last minute trip), and since they didn't have any one bedroom condos left, they booked us in a 2 bedroom at the same rate as the one bedroom. We stayed in A2 with great views of the beach and pool. The decor is beautiful, kitchen has everything you need. My husband and I went grocery shopping the first day to stock up on food for breakfast. We are divers and often had to be at the dive shop at 530 in the morning. Having our own kitchen made it so much easier to prepare a quick breakfast and go.

The resort has a great location -- in the middle of san pedro but extremely quiet when you are inside the resort. We walked to a bunch of great restaurants and bars. We dove with Ecologic Divers and the shop was just steps from our room. The staff at the Phoenix was outstanding. 5 Star Service, very responsive and helpful. Having a washer and dryer in the room was also great. You don't have to pack very much because you can do laundry right in your condo. Housekeeping refilled the laundry detergent every day. They also refilled coffee, creamer, and sugar.

We would definitely stay here again. Ok, off to enjoy my last day in paradise.

6 Thank lel7176
Houston, Tx
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My husband and I just returned home yesterday from a 5-day trip to Ambergris Caye, and we stayed at the Phoenix based off what I had read on TripAdvisor prior to booking. Let me just say, we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, the front desk lady (Rose) greeted us by saying "Welcome Larry & Ellen!" We were surprised they knew our name but you could tell they were expecting us! Immediately we were given cool hand towels soaked in something fresh and minty to refresh our hands and face from the travels getting there (2 hour flight from Houston, 15 minute flight on TropicAir, 2 minute drive to the Phoenix). We were also handed complimentary ginger punch cocktails that really hit the spot, and told we were allowed to keep the glass they came in. Rose gave us a quick but informative tour of the grounds, then escorted us to our room. We had a booked a 1 bedroom/1 bath, but were told we were being upgraded to a 2-bedroom/2-bath. When we walked in, I was blown away. VERY NICE!! Beautiful kitchen and den area, with welcome gifts waiting for us (coke, fanta, bottle of rum, and ginger coconut bars). They do this for everyone!! We were also given use of a complimentary Ipad and cell phone to make local calls. The bedrooms were very well appointed w/ comfortable bedding, huge closets, a safe in the master bedroom closet, gorgeous bathrooms! Loved all the teak cabinetry thru-out the whole unit. Our unit was A6, which is on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. Our balcony alone was 750 sf with a table and chairs and 2 comfortable lounge chairs. The view was magnificent. The way the resort is situated, all units have an unbelievable view of the grounds and ocean.

The Red Ginger (onsite restaurant) -- to die for. We ate there several times because it was convenient and we kept getting great, friendly service and excellent food. The pool bartender, Rolando -- makes the greatest drinks we had! I have friend requested him on FB because we hit it off and loved him so much. Be sure to try one of his mango-coconut frozen mojitos, or the Amigo Freeze, or the Horny Monkey. And, he makes the best bloody mary's on the island. Sol Spa -- we had 1 hour massages there on our 2nd day, and they were terrific. Excellent, friendly staff, beautiful spa and gym area to relax in.

I won't lie -- the town of San Pedro is unlike anywhere I have been (on vacation). It takes a little getting used to, but by the 3rd day of our trip, I was taken by its charm. I say it takes a little getting used to because the locals in town (versus the resorts in the far north or south of the island) are intermingled with all the tourists. So, right outside the Phoenix, for example, is some tiny, somewhat dilapidated by American standards housing of people who live there. It was disconcerting at first to be in such a beautiful place, but right next door was the reality of how most locals live. However, on 2 different days, we rented golf carts (right there at the Phoenix) and toured around town, familiarizing ourselves with stuff. Our experience is that all of the people there are friendly, honest, and happy to see tourists. There wasn't a feeling of resentment or indifference toward us as we have encountered in some other places. Just know that this is a lazy beach and fishing town, with a lot of poor natives, where beautiful condos and resorts have popped up, largely in the past 10 years. So there is a mix, which I think gave it a particular charm and differentiated it from other tourist destinations.

More on San Pedro and how resorts are situated: Many beautiful places to stay on both the south and north ends of the island, however beware that once you are there, you are pretty much "there." Travelling into town from those parts via golf cart is dicey because of the condition of some of the roads. We know -- we tried to take a golf cart to the far north side and it was a very bumpy ride!! So, getting into the town area for shopping, or many of the cool things to do while staying there (north or south) is not easy, as you have to take a water taxi back and forth and it only runs ever so often, and isn't free ($5 US one way). The Phoenix does not have this problem, as it is right there in the middle of everything. Very convenient to everything we wanted to do, right across from the police station (which for some reason made me feel secure even though I never felt scared), right next door to the utilities substation so when power outtages occur (as they occasionally do), the Phoenix is practically the first to get power back (even though the Phoenix also has back-up generators -- but still).

What some of the other reviewers have said is true --- Alphonse is the best if you want to snorkle at Hol Chan Marine and Shark Ray Alley. Extremely fun and saw some of the most incredible underwater sights due to the reef -- very bountiful marine life! Fido's is a fun place with live music and good food, big screen tvs, etc. Caliente is a great mexican/carribean restaurant. Estel's on the beach (3 min walk from the Phoenix) is best place for breakfast. Definitely try the fry jack there, and pour a little honey on it for a delectable treat! Blue Water Grill is as good or better than any place I've eaten, and they have sushi night on Tues/Thurs. We couldn't try everything but everywhere we did go had great drinks, friendly people, and the most amazing ceviche you've ever eaten. Don't ever pass up an opportunity to eat ceviche, anywhere there.

We are planning to go back in either December or March and taking our 3 kids -- there is no other place we'd consider staying than The Phoenix! I hope when we go back, I can avoid gaining 10 pounds though ...... ;)

9 Thank Ellen J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Just returned this week from Belize and staying at the Phoenix Resort in San Pedro. It was one of our best vacations ever.. Mark was fantastic with booking our room, we were upgraded to a huge 2 bedroom corner suite. Loved the wrap around balcony and well appointed amenities. Mark really delivered.

The onside Red GInger was fantastic. Special thanks to Mac (MC) and Elijah. Truly best servers around and so humble and gracious. And the food, amazing. I seriously had one of the best meals of my life there. I have talked about it every day since returning. The lobster with pasta!!! Mac let me meet the chef to thank her personally. I wish she could cook for me every night. Blue Water Grill, and Caliente were good restaurants too, but red ginger was our favorite. Loved the quiet pool time with Rolando as the bartender and the best dirty banana ever. The mango mojoito was a close second.

I did yoga one morning and it wax great. Relaxing, yet still enough intensity to keep me energized. We did the snorkeling half day trip with Alphonse and Gerry. Wonderful trip with them. I was hesitant to do it and was then so happy I did. Saw so many sea creatures and those guys walk you through everything, step by step.

The Phoenix was top notch in customer service and loved the location. Loved the iPad given to us at checkin and all the other things they do to make it special. Thanks to Rose and the other ladies at the front desk. And to whoever makes those amazing coconut lime bars. We couldn't get enough of them. We normally wouldn't go back to a place we've already been to when the world is so vast, but with the Phoenix and Belize, we will return. Go and see for yourself!

1 Thank Raigan W
Reviewed 18 June 2012

When we were escorted to our one bedroom beachfront condo, we could not have been more pleasantly surprised. It was beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean. The onsite restaurant, Red Ginger, is very good. We did not want an all inclusive and this fit the bill of a nice restaurant, plus easy walking distance to others. Our scuba dives and Mayan ruin trips were booked quickly and there was no problem.
Some have mentioned in reviews that San Pedro is a dump but we found it to be a normal beach town. We were asked for money a few times but nothing overly annoying. It was a perfect mix of nice accomodations, yet being able to enjoy the local atmosphere.
If we return to Ambergris Caye we will definitely book the Phoenix.

Room Tip: Unit A-9 was the perfect one br condo.
Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple