The Phoenix Resort
US$337
Mata Rocks Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$125
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$221
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$144
US$415
  • Pool
El Secreto(San Pedro)
US$500
US$394
US$383
Ramon's Village Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$262
US$240
Caye Casa(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$156
White Sands Cove Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$128
1,056 results
All reviewsred gingersol spachocolate tastingin towngolf cartcell phoneambergris cayefull kitchenbottle of rumfront desk staffpool stafflaundry detergentwrap around balconypool barhuge balconybedroom suitedinner reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My wife, cousin and I decided to take a trip to Belize (Island of San Pedro) and stay at the Phoenix. We arrived in April of 2012, the weather was perfect and this was our first time visitors to the country!

We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo, which included all the amenities one would need for a 7-day stay. Our plan was to purchase food and eat one meal in our suite and eat the remaining meals on the island.

We learned that grocery shopping on the island was limited and did not offer the variety or selection of foods we are use to in the states. For example, eggs are stored at room temperature in most stores and food costs can be a little expensive.

Restaurants in the area are owned by locals serving mainly mexican style food. Believe me the authentic corn tacos, tostaditos and chips and salso are authentic! Very fresh! Our suggestion would be to anticipate eating out each and every day. The resort has a restaurant on site and the food and service is good but you become tired if of the same food if you eat there each day.

The resort was clean, the service was excellent but one thing to take notice of. We had the Ocean view 2 bedroom suite on the third floor, which was great - However, palm trees blocked most of the view of the ocean! In fact, I spent a night on the balconly and saw the beautiful sunrise!

The average temperature during our stay was in the 80's and sunny. However, I have to tell you we didn't experience any mosquitos during our visit on the island (weird). During our stay we felt safe in the general area (we made sure not to venture off to remote areas of the island late at night).

The only thing I would warn you about is this... Most of the available activities take place on the main island, which is about a 20 minute flight and cost around $120 USD to fly return trip. This can be a bummer once you have settled in to your surroundings. However, we did charter a boat on the island of SanPedro and went fishing with Eric and his assistant and really had a great time. Eric cut and cleaned the fish for us and we went to a local restaurant to have our catch of the day prepared, ahhh gooood!!

Make sure you bring plenty of US Cash because if you run out and go to a local ATM you will receive Belize money and they don't give you USD in return. I was able to get rid of my Belize currency when we landed in the states at the airport they had currency people who converted your money.

Overall, I had a great time. The people at the Phoenix did a great job of maintaining the property and treating us like we were Kings! I would come back to this property again!

Jay

Room Tip: Deluxe or premium ocean view rooms had palm trees blocking significan portion of the carribean ocean views on the third floor. Ask if you can get 2nd level floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Videoman
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I left the Phoenix on July 16th, 2012. I stayed there 8 days and was not ready to return home. The staff is wonderful and attentive. My condo was awesome (2nd floor facing the beach and pool). The grounds were immaculate and pools were crystal clear. Red Ginger is a must to visit (lobster and shrimp ceviche) yum!! Don't miss out on the Tapas specials on Wed & Sun. Oscar will be at the pool bar, request a mojito and relax. Beware of the complimentary Belizean Rum in the room (coke is not necessary, just pour over ice) LOL!

San Pedro was so delightful. Stroll over by Lola's Pub which is around the corner from the resort. If you want a quick breakfast, a few steps from the resort is Geo's cafe and Meat Market. Geo's staff: Josh, Giggy, Orlen, and Shaggy. Tell them Michelle said hello!

Night life is never ending, check out X-Lounge, Jaguars, and Caprice just to name a few spots. If you plan to stroll, head towards Wine de Vine and enjoy a glass of wine and some cheese.

Almost forgot about the Sol Spa. I had my first experience with ear candling and it was a pretty cool experience.

I hope you have a blast! I did!

Room Tip: Request room B3 - It's on the second floor, beach and pool view with a huge balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hairgood
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Suite was huge, immaculate, with full kitchen and huge balcony. Kitchen well equipped with fridge, dishwasher, filtered water, stove. Knife set adequate but don't expect premium blades. We usually made breakfast in the room and occasionally cooked our fish.
Pool was not huge but adequate, sunny. No beach at this location just a sea wall, but very well maintained grounds. The shoreline for the town is a common walkway and our preferred foot travel route. We used the faucet outside our room to desand and left our shoes at the door.
Fishing, snorkeling, and sea life fantastic, trips arranged by the staff were all excellent.
We loved Oliver and the private island lunch with fish we caught on the trip. My son hooked a large mango snapper on the island, while I fly fished for bones on flats on both ends of the island. We snorkeled, fished, and ate with Oliver. Oliver took me on a private swim through the coral, fantastic!
Location is great for dining around town. Best meal was Ceviche' was great at Lilly's Treasure Chest, just a short walk along the beach. Go for the mixed or conch! (Conch also makes great bait, stays on a hook for a long time.)
We traveled to the mainland for ruins exploration, river tubing. The national cross Belize bike race was that day and we had front row seats as the bikers passed within a few feet of us! Geovanni Choto a Belizean won!
Supermarkets were lackluster and expensive although, bread was great. Imported goods were very expensive (Gatorade $6!) We bought pancake mix to make breakfast but it was infested with bugs; therefore, bring your own. Fruit from a few local stands was good with prices varying buy the day.
Town tourist markets don't offer much. Little industry other than the sea life.
A must is cane juice at Hemingways, John grinds it on the spot with the islands only sugar cane juicer, delicious!
If you are there on Thursday evening make it to Wahoo's lounge for the world famous chicken drop. My son was able to drop 3 chickens! The first stood on my number for 5 minutes and despite my threats of consomme' or grilled chicken we didn't win. Parker loves his chicken security shirt. What fun!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ACandJVR
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband, my mom and I just returned from a stay at The Pheonix Resort for 8 days. It truly was one of the best vacations we've ever had. We were celebrating my mother's recent retirement and there was a personal note in our room with a bottle of wine from the hotel congratulating her in our arrival. The grounds and rooms are exceptional. We had an iPad lent to us for our stay. The food at Red Ginger (the restaurant on property) was delicious, as well the two sister restaurants. But, the aspect that really put it over the top was the staff and outstanding services. Every hotel staff member went out of there way to assist us with anything we needed (dinner recommendations and reservations, excursions reservations, amenities needed for our room),etc. They not only helped with anything you needed, but they follow up after to make sure everything was perfect.

We will definitely be back,

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer J
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Phoenix for our honeymoon, and it was without a doubt the best choice we could have made! We stayed in a one-bedroom, waterfront view condo, and to say it was spacious is an understatement. The place was absolutely enormous with every amenity you can think of including a wonderfully appointed kitchen, multiple TVs, and huge bathrooms. The room was on the third floor and had an enormorous wrap around porch where we spent a lot of time relaxing and talking.

The staff was excellent, and they helped us plan a number of trips including a sunset cruise, tours of Lamanai and ATM, and a fishing trip. They also made reservations wherever we wanted, and they even set it up so my wife could hold the chicken during the chicken drop at Wahoo's!

While the Phoenix was amazing, not every trip is absolutely perfect, and we did lose electricity in our condo for part of one day. However, the staff was quick to address the issue, and they even gave us a gift certificate for $75USD that we could use at Red Ginger or the pool bar. Sometimes problems happen, and they went above and beyond to make sure we were happy.

The staff is also excellent at taking feedback, and after every tour we told them what we thought. We weren't very fond of the sunset cruise, but since it was only $50/person we didn't really worry about it. However, we were not really happy with how our ATM tour went (certain things that were promised did not occur), and they spoke with the company and got us a discount. We are definitely not ones to demand discount or anything like that, we just wanted to make sure that guests in the future didn't have the same problems we had. Once again the staff of the Phoenix went above and beyond.

Points to note about the property - there is no real beach in front of the hotel, so if you want to sun yourself you'll be doing it at the pool. This is pretty much the case for the entire caye, so don't feel like you're being shorted. Also, since the beaches are public, if they did have a large beach it probably wouldn't be very peaceful. Enjoy the tranquility of the Phoenix pool, and if you want to take a dip in the ocean feel free to head out to the dock and dive on in with the local kids!

Overall, the Phoenix is an amazing hotel with a beautiful accomodations, an amazing staff, and it's right in the heart of San Pedro. There are a ton of restaurants throughout San Pedro to visit, and I highly recommend trying each and every one of them. Also be sure to stop by the vendor stalls in the park where you can find amazing local crafts. Don't be surprised if you come home with a hand carved wooden bowl (or two).

The only word of caution I have for people planning a trip to Belize is that if you want to experience multiple trips on the mainland you are better served staying there for a few days before coming to Ambergris Caye. We spent a lot of time (and extra money) because we had to take several flights back and forth from the mainland. We probably could have saved quite a bit if we had planned the vacation in two segments.

Room Tip: While it may cost a little more, I highly recommend the waterfront rooms. The balcony is enormous, and there's nothing better than being slowly woken up with the sun rising through the seemingly endless windows.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple