“Very Good, but not quite up to the 5-Star hype!”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I spent a week at The Phoenix in late March 2013. Overall, we had a great time and would highly recommend The Phoenix and Ambergris Caye in general.

The staff went out of their way to make sure that everything was taken care of. We didn't go through the hotel for any of our excursions (snorkeling, Mayan ruins, etc) as we wanted to go with different tour companies than what they offered, but they made the options very easy. They were very helpful in getting restaurant reservations. The resort provided a local cell phone with a small amount of prepaid credit loaded - which was super helpful and made meeting up with some friends we made on the island much easier.

The condo's are extremely nice. The 1-bedroom suite we had was quite large, had two large flat screen TVs with US cable channels, washer/dryer, and a full kitchen. We went to the market down the street and picked up some breakfast and snack food so that we wouldn't have to eat out for every meal (and a case of beer for drinking out by the pool). The king sized bed was a quality mattress, but too firm for my taste. Overall, the quality of the condo was probably the best part of the phoenix.

The location in town is great. It's a short walk to most of the island's major restaurants. We rented a golf cart one day to go up to the Palapa Bar (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), but we would have been better off getting bikes. We walked everywhere else.

The pools were very nice, although a little on the cold side (we also has some cooler weather, so your mileage may very). The pool bar was excellent and their drinks and food were very affordable by standard US hotel prices (Mojito - $6 USD, Spicy Fish Wrap - $12 USD). There were generally chairs available by the pool and never had to wait long for drinks (although food sometimes took longer than our hungry stomachs would have liked).

We didn't use the Spa's services, but my wife did work out in the gym. The gym was good sized and had a few machines and free weights. The Yoga classes were fantastic.

One major annoyance for my wife and I were the other guest's smoking habits. The Phoenix permits smoking in outdoor public areas so be aware you will likely get assaulted with second hand smoke when you're sitting on your patio or by the pool. This is really unfortunate considering how great the property is otherwise.

Overall, this was a fantastic place to stay and I'd recommended it. I can't, however, give it 5-stars. Perhaps my expectations were too high based off of the reviews and Trip Adviser rankings, but I was not WOW-d by The Phoenix the way I wanted to be.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a better view of the pool/ocean and better privacy, but the ground floor has much...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajbenn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I am just echoing what others have said but we had a wonderful time and would back in a heartbeat. Our unit was beautiful, well maintained and cleaned every day. Used the washer and dryer to keep our ocean/tour clothes clean and loved that. Service is what pushes it over the top - the front desk staff cheerfully takes care of everything. We travel a lot and I would put this as a four+ star hotel in Europe or the US - you are in a condo complex which is not comparable to a hotel tower for all the best reasons. Pool was lovely. Frozen mojito even lovelier. Need to win lotto so we can buy a unit there!

Room Tip: We loved being on the ground floor. Bigger covered patio and easy access.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We had a great weeks stay! The resort complex is very well maintained and well laid out. Our room was C1 which was ground floor overlooking the pool and ocean. The room was nicely furnished and had modern appliances. Our room was quiet, pristine and we had enjoyed it.
The location was excellent as we were on a common beach, in the town of San Pedro and surrounded by many eating places and grocery stores.
The staff is what makes the resort shine. From check-in to check-out we were very well taking care of. They were glad to help us make our trip the best it could be. A special touch was when they got my daughter a birthday cake and all signed a card.
If we come back to Belize the Phoenix is top of the list.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Phoenix Resort! Not that I am surprised. From the unparalleled assistance that I received from Stacey, Mark, Pam, and the rest of the front desk team prior to the trip, I knew we would be well taken care of. We do a lot of travelling, and I have never, ever had this level of service! Some of the arrangements that were made for our trip were really beyond what I would consider to be reasonable requests, but at Pam’s suggestion, and with her able organizational skills and knowledge, the Phoenix team organized an incredible vacation for us! Honestly, they arranged parts of our holiday before we even got to San Pedro!
We arrived at the Phoenix on the busiest day of the year…the resort was completely booked…yet “all hands were on deck”, and our greeting and orientation was quick, efficient and thorough. The facility truly is lovely…beyond what I expected. We loved that it was close to town, and easy walking distance to a myriad of stores, restaurants, etc. (although the food at the Phoenix is excellent!) We rented a golf cart on our one cloudy day and toured the island. When I saw how far away the other resorts I had been researching were, I was very glad we chose the Phoenix. We actually went into one of the more exclusive resorts that supposedly had a “beach” out front…let’s just say it wasn’t worth booking for!
Having a full kitchen was very handy for grabbing a quick breakfast before heading out on an early morning tour. There are several fruit stands and grocery stores a block or two away (and they sell very tiny bottles of jam, ketchup, etc. so we didn’t end up wasting anything).
I was delighted to find the washer and dryer, since we had a suitcase full of dirty (and I mean dirty!) clothes from our earlier adventures in the rainforests, caves, and rivers. There was even a drying rack for bathing suits and more “delicate” items…don’t bother trying to dry things outside…even the steady breeze is no match for the humidity in Belize!
With a full resort, I was somewhat concerned that there wouldn’t be enough lounge chairs by the pool for everyone, but it didn’t seem to be a problem. I guess many people were touring during the day, like we often were. I do get irritated at people who drop pool towels and a book down to reserve a chair, and then walk away for a couple of hours. I am certain that the pool staff would assist however, if those seats were needed. The nice thing is that every room has lounge chairs on the verandah (they all overlook the sea and the pool), and sometimes they provided the shady spot we were looking for if there were no umbrellas available.
I would highly encourage you to book your tours with the front desk. The ones they offer have been thoroughly researched, and I can assure you that the guides they recommend are top notch! We had several unforgettable days spent with capable, knowledgeable people, who went above and beyond to make sure our experience was exactly what we were hoping for. If you get the chance…book Oliver for a day on his motorboat. He is a skilled boatman, fisherman, cook, and all around great guy!
Hopefully we will be able to return to Belize in the near future, and if we do, we will most certainly stay at the Phoenix!

Room Tip: All the rooms in the resort face the sea and the pool so you really can't go wrong with location...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cc-in-cc
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This hotel is the best looking and most modern for Belizian standards. If you are looking for a hotel that is 4-5 stars by American standards, you will be disappointed. The rooms are clean and well serviced. The front desk is welcoming and polite. Amongst the hustle and bustle of city life, and other really old hotels, this is truly an oasis.

Bring your ear plugs everyone, because this hotel is very noisy. Our room is facing the city street and the restaurant. People frequently are sitting outside eating dinner with loud music in the back ground causing people to talk louder over the music. We spoke with Mark, one of the managers to please move us to another room. Even though he was very nice, the hotel was fully booked and we are stuck in this room. It is 10:50pm and the music is still playing at the restaurant. Most people that come here are tired and need a good night. We need a vacation after this vacation.

My advise would be to ask for a room off the street and far from the restaurant if you are looking for a restful vacation.

If you are looking for a beach, this hotel is also not for you. No beach.

• Stayed: March 2013
16  Thank Momcat01
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Hotel Phoenix is beautiful, offers ocean side views and a relaxed beach town vibe. The customer service at the hotel is first class. From our initial inquiry of the hotel, to check in and everyday until check out, the front desk service was amazing. They helped us arrange amazing day trips, offered us great tips and supplied us with bug spray when needed. The hotel does an amazing job arranging day trips and we were surprised as to how easy it was to travel (by boat, taxi, plane, etc) around the island. Everyone at the resort was helpful, friendly and genuninely nice.

We stayed in a beautiful and clean one bedroom and it was supplied with everything we needed. Hotel bed was super comfortable and and the room tastefully decorated. The grounds are beautiful and suprisingly quiet considering it is centrally located in town. We felt safe when walking around to restaurants and bars. Food in Belize was delicious and the people were great.

Two day trips we would suggest: Snorkeling to Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley with Alfonse and Lamanai River Adventure with Nate. Both of our guides were amazing and so knowledgeable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MeechC
Reviewed 23 March 2013

First I want to say that I don't write reviews unless I am blown away by some aspect of the venue or trip. However I have to say The Phoenix Resort met and exceeded any and all expectations I had. I planned to take a trip somewhere to propose to my girlfriend of two years and of course used TripAdvisor to help me with making an informed decision. Once I read the reviews i decided to go with The Phoenix. After making contact with Mark about availability and accommodations I felt good with what they had to offer and planned the visit. Soon after I informed Mark that the main point of my trip was to propose, he promptly got me in touch with Pam, Gabriela, Alicia, Ted and Stacey who all helped in planning and executing the perfect engagement. The location of the resort was great in that we were able to walk through town and feel safe yet engulfed in the local atmosphere. Enjoy amazing food while there, especially the conch! As far as the actual engagement they were instrumental in putting together exactly what I had asked for before we arrived so as not to give off any clues to my fiance. The setup was a sunset dinner on the beach surrounded by palm trees, white sand, candles, wine and of course the eventual proposal. She said yes btw. In short we had a wonderful time staying at the The Phoenix Resort and look forward to coming back, quite possibly for our honeymoon. One very important aspect through planning and staying was the level of comfort and trust that I felt with dealing with The Phoenix. It gave me a sense of security that they wanted to do whatever they could to ensure we had a memorable trip. Thanks again guys, you do an exceptional job all around!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple