“The Phoenix Offers You Everything and More - Sets standard of Service with a Smile”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 3 December 2009

When tasked to choose a destination to celebrate my 30th birthday, it wasn’t difficult to select San Pedro, Belize. However, when the recommendation came to me and my friends to stay at the Phoenix Belize I couldn’t have been more than pleasantly surprised. This place is top notch and was quite the bargain in October. All the staff was extremely accommodating throughout our entire trip. When we first arrived, we were greeted with a local yet refreshing ginger beverage. It was a perfect way to wet the pallet after traveling so long. When we got to our 2 bedroom hotel room, we couldn’t believe our eyes. Every detail down to the fresh flowers on our towels was immaculate and clean. It sparked newness! Our room not only had a balcony that wrapped around overlooked the cascading pool (and lap pool) but also the waves crashing out on the reef.

On the day of my big day, we all ventured into the Sol Spa and were treated like royalty to manicures, pedicures and massages. It was like a little haven away from the hot sun. One of our friends opted out of pampering treatment and took a little run on one of the treadmills in the gym, adjacent to the Sol Spa. I do have to say however, I think my most favorite aspect was lying out by the pool and being served by their every friendly pool bar attendant, Rolando. It was almost like he was at our beckon call. We also dinned one evening at The Pheonix’s sister restaurant The Blue Water Grill. The meal was more than delicious, cost friendly and quite spacious. We also spent an evening wine tasting at a great little place called Wine Devine, where they paired cheese with each glass. This ended up being our go to resource at stocking up on all the best wines from across the globe.

All in all, if you are looking to stay at what we considered a five star hotel, then the Phoenix is the place to book. You won’t regret it. In fact, I loved it so much, I booked a return trip before I even left and will be ringing in the new year there this 2010.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank redonk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed 3 December 2009

I ended up at the Phoenix randomly in late october with 4 girlfriends. The hotel was literally perfect - the staff, the views, the pool (Rolando at the pool bar!), the rooms, the amenities, everything.
We decided after one day at the resort that we were making this an annual girls trip - it's small so book early!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2009

i have stayed in many hotels and resorts over the years and this was definitely one of my favorites. The condo was large, beautiful, and BRAND NEW!! We had a 2 huge bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a jacuzzi tub, living area, and full kitchen with all apliances. The staff was extremely helpful, especially the front desk girls and the manager Mark who gave us a tour of the grounds upon our arrival. The hotel has 2 beautiful pools, a spa, and a restaurant on site. The location is also great. Its in the middle of the town of ambergis caye with shopping and activities right outside the hotel doors. The town is a peaceful beach town, very relaxed, and the people are friendly and helpful. While in Belize, we booked a couple of excursions through the hotel. You MUST MUST MUST go on the Hol Chan/ Shark Alley snorkel trip with Alfonze!!. it was the highlight of our trip!! My boyfriend and I still cant stop talking about it. We swam with the sharks and sting rays and were able to hold the sharks under our arms and pet them. How cool is that!! All in all, we had an amazing trip and would definitely return to Belize, and especially the Phoenix. Thanks again guys for an awesome time!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirar
Reviewed 16 November 2009

This was my first time in Belize with friends and this was definitely the place to stay!!
If you plan to on going there to Party with friends this is not the place to stay but if you and your friends want to just be laid back and relax in peace as we did then this is the place to stay!!
The staff was GREAT!! Stacey, Pamela, Mira, Mark (Lobby staff) Dinna, Margarita, (Maid Staff) Rolando (bartender), the people who were in the Red Ginger resturant, the people who maintaing the grounds and the two 24 hour security guards that watch the grounds (sorry forgot there names) were very gracious and helpful!!
These are condominium suites and I believe we stayed in the largest one. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and balcony. With a very nice pool!!
Definitely worth staying!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank rfva12
Reviewed 11 November 2009

My brother and I enjoyed our stay at the Phoenix Resort tremendously. The rooms exceeded our expectations and the grounds were very well maintained. Stacey is one of the resort managers and she is very kind. She makes you feel at home the moment you arrive. Pamela at the front desk is the best. She took care of all our tour bookings, transportation and flight arrangements. She is a wealth of knowledge and pleasant to deal with. The Spa at the resort is fantastic as well. I plan on incorporating much more spa time during my next visit. Seriously, all the staff are professional and very good people. Li'il Alfonse is a must for snorkeling tours to Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley or Mexico Rocks. I've been on several other snorkeling tours there and he sets the bar very high. Pamela at the front desk can arrange everything. I can't wait for my next trip to Belize. The Phoenix Resort will be my home port for sure. Many thanks and I hope to see you again very soon!

Clark from Chandler, Arizona

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Clark0813
Reviewed 17 October 2009

The Phoenix is brand new and shows it. Manicured landscaping, sleek architecture, and infinity pool area with bar attendant, towels, shower, etc are all upscale and totally modern in every detail. Rooms are huge and have everything: new washer/dryer, open kitchen with dishwasher, multiple TVs with cable, even bottled water on tap. Interior design is Belizean wood brown hues, with upscale finishes and walk-in showers, Jacuzzi tub, marble counters, etc.

The location is just unbeatable. You are right on the edge of/in town. Subtract the long boat rides or $80/day for cart rental most other more distant resort stays entail. You are also right at the water with every unit facing the courtyard pools and ocean with incredible views. 100 yards up the dive operator docks and beachside bars begin so it’s easy to pop back to your room and back out again all day long.

The staff is relaxed, friendly, and always on the ball, anticipating needs. Two maids cleaned our room daily. Security was 24x7 alert and watchful. Front desk was constantly helpful planning trips, etc. Restaurant food, décor, and dining experience was top notch - probably the best in town, comparable to a modern restaurant in a big US city.

All of the above is especially remarkable because San Pedro is a small, poor town. There are mainly just dirt roads beyond the edges of the 5 square blocks that have brick streets. The power goes out regularly, you can’t drink the water, etc. The comfort and refinement of the Phoenix makes for an incongruous oasis that made me feel guilty at times!

The Phoenix has a few rough edges. Wi-Fi coverage is spotty and haphazard (though they tried to compensate by placing an AP in our room). The gym is spare and only open during daytime working hours which is not so useful. The lobby is not as nice as the rest of the resort and could benefit from some sprucing.

I visited Pelican Reef which is a runner up in terms of ratings and cost. It is nice but is a mile out of town, older, and not at the same level as the Phoenix. The popular and highly rated Xanadu is not even in the ballpark. The closest in quality to the Phoenix was the Victoria House which is old-money British colonial luxurious with staff scampering everywhere, small but luxurious rooms, and expansive grounds with a killer private sandy beach.

Finally, San Pedro hosts the best taco shop in the universe. Run, don’t walk, in the mornings to get tacos at Nari’s, near the airport.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank sctrip
Reviewed 10 October 2009

What a fantastic hotel and experience. Quite possibly the best on Ambergris Caye. My 1 BR condo/room was huge, new and just beautiful. The staff at The Phoenix was amazing. Stacey the manager could not have been more attentive to my needs. She and the front desk staff gave me a phone, directed me to restaurants and stores, worked on excursions etc. Stacey and her staff were absolutely, completely concerned about my stay at the hotel each day, and my overall trip to San Pedro. Is this a Four Seasons? I rarely have had such amazing service. They get it! Their goal was genuine and all about me...and I loved it. I will return here next trip for sure. Between the staff, the location, the rooms, the restaurant (best meal I had on island) and the pool, there is no chance I would stay elsewhere. Go here! You won't regret it for a second.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business