“The Phoenix Belize made our 40th anniversary seem like a honeymoon!”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Concord, California
“The Phoenix Belize made our 40th anniversary seem like a honeymoon!”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My wife and I just celebrated our 40th anniversary at the Phoenix Belize. We had been to San Pedro many times and have stayed at hotels up and down the beach. We even got to watch the Phoenix Belize while it was being built. Finally on this trip we got to stay there. The two weeks that we were there far exceeded our expectations. The location is great - within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The grounds are amazing - they are immaculate - and with only 30 condos it feels intimate while at the same time being new and modern. The rooms are huge with high ceilings, stainless steel appliances, and top notch amenities. However what makes the Phoenix Belize so special is the staff. Every person that we came in contact with, whether it was the office staff, the maids, the waiters, the bar tender, or the gardener, greeted us with a smile and asked if there was anything that they could do to make our visit more pleasant. The Phoenix Belize made our 40th anniversary seem like a honeymoon. We have already started planning next year's trip for our 41st.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YayaShare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2010

This resort and the staff were outstanding. I actually found out about the resort by reading reviews on this site and the great feedback people gave was spot on. Everyone that works at the Phoenix was extremely nice and helpful. These are not your typical rooms. They are condos with full kitchen, dining area, living area, washer/dryer, walk in showers, etc.... Tons of room for the price, new, and very well kept. This has to be one of the best bargains in all of Belize.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarkBoo
Perth
Reviewed 8 July 2010

If you are going to San Pedro in Belize, there is only one place to stay and that is The Phoenix Resort. It was our home away from home. Absolutely amazing accommodation, huge bedrooms, huge bathrooms, perfect views of the pool, grounds, beach and ocean. The staff were fantastic, the location is absolutely perfect, walking distance to everything. The resort is only two years old so everything is new and modern. I would not stay anywhere else in San Pedro.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank tpmc178
Temple, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Recently stayed at the Phoenix with my daughter, son-in-law, granddaughters and friends, and each and every one of us had an absolutely fantastic week, due in part to this beautiful resort and all the staff who were helpful, friendly and accommodating beyond the call of duty. We positively could not have been better cared for, the grounds are kept meticulously clean, the dive and tour services recommended to us were all great; all in all not one negative. Thank you so much to all the staff at the Phoenix.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 10 days. We had the flight from Belize City arranged by the Phoenix. They also took care of the taxi from the airport. (BTW, when you land in Belize, Tropic Air is right around the corner from where you pick up your bags and you can save the porter fees by taking them yourself.) Stacey said that they were tracking our flight when we arrived.
The first night, I had back problems (used to a water bed) but the mattress was flipped and I never had problems after that. I think that I just wasn't used to such firm mattesses as these are new matresses.
The people at check in were very friendly and helpful. You can rent a golf cart by the hour from them.
The security guard even helped us carry up our scuba equipment when we returned to the room.
When my wife thought that she had lost her driver's license, they even made special calls to find it.
All in all, the most personal service that we have ever had at a resort/hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MDScubaDiver
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 June 2010

If you have a trip planned to the Caribbean, I strongly suggest that you include this resort as a viable option. The trip to Belize is a fantastic choice because you don't have to deal with a significant time change, the flights are plentiful and somewhat inexpensive, almost everyone speaks English, takes U.S. currency and the Belize dollar is 2 to 1 compared to U.S., which makes it very affordable. I was also considering Hawaii, Thailand, etc. but the ease of entry really was the deciding factor here.

The Phoenix Resort was such a wonderful place to stay for a few days while I was in between jobs and needed a total, mental ‘reset.’ It offered the perfect combination of relaxation, adventure, amenities, wellness activities and first class service.

I took advantage of the excellent spa, offsite activities like diving and jet skis, yoga classes and the onsite restaurant Red Ginger. But can you really go wrong with 90 minute massages, diving with sharks and rays and five star food? Sadly, the answer is yes - but not in this case.

Everything I did was expertly handled and organized by the staff at the Phoenix, which took the worry away that something might require too much of my attention. (I just wanted to be lazy!) They even provide me with a local phone which sounds trite but was very useful when they had to move activities around - or when I was having so much fun in the water, that I felt the urge to beg them to shift my reservations back a bit. The rooms are beautiful and you are literally in the heart of it all, which made it very convenient, compared to some of the other resorts of equal caliber but that are off the beaten path.

Finally, the pool-side bartenders make a drink called the Amigo Freeze that is an unbelievable concoction of coconut cream, Frangelico, OJ and rum. I must have had at least 10 of them over the course of a week and wish I had one right now! The drink is so good that I begged the bartender for the recipe and was successful in my request. The only question now is… can I appropriately replicate it?

Well done, Phoenix – there really isn’t a thing that I’d have changed during my stay. (And I am very, very picky.) I look forward to staying with you again very soon and can't wait to come back and spend some more time in the crystal water or lounging by the beautiful pool!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank ClintBagley
Washington, DC
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed at the Phoenix the week of June 7. The resort is absolutely wonderful. I cannot really add much that has not been covered in previous reviews.

Booking was simple and problem free. Mark and Rose guided me through the reservation process and booked me on the Tropic Air flight to San Pedro. I had no problems or delays at either airport in Belize.

The resort grounds are beautiful. The pools were immaculate, and the Phoenix really does look just like the pictures – no photography tricks are used to make things appear nicer than they are. Grounds staff were busy cleaning the pool and tending to the landscaping everyday, even though it was the start of the low season. Overall, the Phoenix staff was warm, friendly and knowledgeable.

Again, the condo was as shown in pictures. The appliances are nicer than what I have at home! The verandas are huge, and at least on the ground floor are the equivalent to poolside cabanas that large resorts will charge guests for by the day.

The only negative I have concerns the on-site restaurant, Red Ginger. Being a foodie who frequently dines in restaurants in large U.S. cities, I expect a great deal from a restaurant that is pretentious enough to offer a chef’s tasting menu. I was underwhelmed. I also found it overpriced for a location not on the beach. However, I had a good lunch experience its sister restaurant, Caliente. Red Ginger is fine for lunch by the pool, but I strongly recommend walking down the beach and finding a restaurant with a view.

As for breakfast, I loved Estel’s, just a short walk down the beach from the resort. Since I was on U.S. east coast time the entire trip, I was up at 5am, and it was nice to find a place open at 6am. The fry jacks with jam are a must.

I was impressed by the security at the resort. The Phoenix is directly across the street from a police and fire station -- it’s difficult to get safer than that. And regardless of time of day, I would see one of the security guards making their rounds. Overall, I believed San Pedro to be very safe, and while on resort grounds, I had no concerns whatsoever.

The resort’s location is perfect. It’s a very short walk from two supermarkets and close to more restaurants than you could possibly need. I cannot wait until my return trip.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo