“Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!!!”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
columbia, md
“Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I loved this hotel and it has become my gold standard. I never knew how much I would enjoy staying in such a beautiful place. We thought about trying to save some money under the assumption that we would barely use the hotel. In the end, we convinced ourselves to pay a bit more, and so glad that we did!! I think that part of the vacation is enjoyed inside of the hotel, since you are going to want a place to relax after all of your activities. This was well worth the money.

Besides being beautiful, location was perfect. We were able to walk to restaurants and shops, never rented a golf cart.

Excellent customer service. Front desk was so friendly and helpful in helping us plan our activities. I know that it is less expensive to book directly, but we had the peace of mind that the touring companies are reputable. We did 2 tours through Phoenix, snorkeling and the lamani tour which included a boat ride (we saw monkeys here!) They also gave us good restaurant recommendations.

My only complaint was that the lap pool was not exactly a lap pool. I planned to do some swimming here, but you can't really kick off the one side since cement stairs into the water prevents it. I did do some ocean swimming though, which was very nice :).

All in all, beautiful, amazing hotel and staff.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I would like to start by saying this is my first review, ever! I feel so strongly about my experience at the Phoenix in San Pedro Belize that I just had to write.

My daughter was married October 2010. After scouting the eastern seaboard she decided on San Pedro Belize to host her wedding. After visiting all over the island, she decided to have her closest friends and family stay at and have her wedding reception at the Phoenix Hotel. We had 36 family and friends attend from all over the USA. The hotel rooms were amazingly beautiful and huge. The resort grounds were gorgeous, there were two pools, a great pool bar and the Red Ginger Restaurant in the hotel had excellent food. Every room has a view of the Carribean. Whatever any one of us wanted to do the Phoenix staff assisted to make it happen. The staff is friendly and efficient and the service was outstanding. There is no need for a wedding planner as Stacey who works at the Phoenix knows the island well and can handle any request. She made the wedding reception truely perfect. Mark handled the lodging and Kelly took care of the food. With 36 demanding wedding guests there for five days there was not a single complaint, in fact everyone raved about the experience. Even my mother who hates to fly and hasn't flown for 20 years said she is ready to go back next year, the experience was that special. I can't imagine anywhere else that I would have wanted for my only daughter's wedding. It is something special we will all remember, thanks to the staff at the Phoenix..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Shepherdsville
Reviewed 26 October 2010

My husband, myself and another couple just spend three nights on the Island of Ambergris Caye at the Phoenix Resort. This was the best vacation I have had in years. It was very close to perfect. The Phoenix is beautiful and comfortable. The staff was friendly and very efficient. They tried to accommodate our every need.
The location is perfect right in the middle of everything, but the grounds are quite and secure.
The pool is incredible and you can lay at the pool see the ocean all while having a cool drink, it just does not get any better.
This is a wonderful place to stay, I would most certainly recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Peaches37
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Found Condos to very roomy. Found the "first lady" of Belize staying there with her daughter. Staff felt like family by the time we left. Staff were always helpful regardless the time of day. Very Secure. Views are 10 out of 10. We will be back, as this resort has set the standard for many others.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Spent 3 days at the Phoenix last Christmas in a 2 bedroom condo unit, which was beautiful as was the swimming pool area. The staff were very responsive and made flight, snorkeling and other arrangementss for us . I would highly recommend the Phoenix

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Everything you have read about this resort is correct so I'll just focus on the things that I did not see in other reviews. The front desk staff are the best. We are not the hang-around-the-pool types and the front desk helped us arrange our trips with some of the best guides on the caye. Alphonse took us snorkeling on two different occasions - Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley and Mexico Rocks/Tres Cocos on another. Both excursions were stunning. Alphonse is a swimming encyclopedia who is really engaging! Oliver of Cari'Bean Tours took us on an amazing day snorkeling with manatee, spear and line fishing, cooking our catch on a private island, a quick shopping trip to Caye Caulker, and one last snorkel before returning us to the Phoenix. The front desk staff arranged our son's scuba outings with Chuck and Robbie; he could not have been happier with his dives or better entertained by Big Sexy. If you look these folks up individually on TripAdvisor, you will see they are among the highest-rated guides on the caye. They also helped us with rental carts on two separate afternoons plus arranging for our transportation to The Victoria House and making our dinner reservations there.
They recommended the best fruit stands and bakeries, and were truly interested in how we enjoyed our outings.

The Phoenix is located in San Pedro Town. You can walk to really great restaurants, little shops for your gifts, all feeling quite safe. The people there could not be nicer! Even when trying to sell you things, they are friendly and polite.

Traveling off-season also got us a great deal at The Phoenix. Reduced off season rates, one free night when we booked five, a free six-pack of Belliken, free Marie's Hot Sauce (simply the best). They have an arrangement with The Blue Water Grill and Caliente for a 10% reduction on your food bill. At the Blue Water, we enjoyed a lobster dinner and salads for lunch one day, Caliente for the Chicken Drop, and an evening in at The Red Ginger, which also honored the 10% reduction. The only trade-off with traveling so late in the season is that many businesses were closing for several weeks: we got to the Lazy Croc the day before it closed and DandE's on its last day before a break. The up-side is there was plenty of pool seating and you could walk right into a restaurant and get excellent service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Plumeria D
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2010

My wife, 7 year old son and myself spent the month of July (2010) at The Phoenix. We've tried to write a review a couple times and stopped because we can't find the right words to describe how magical it was.

Firstly - San Pedro the town is fantastic. Although it's very small (it's not a night club/party town) it is one of the cleanest and friendliest towns we've visited in extensive travels. We were there for World Cup Final as well and had a blast.

The Phoenix itself is everything you read in the 100+ reviews. It's beautiful, clean and has one of the nicest pools on the island. Pam, Stacy & Mark were absolutely terrific. Travelling with a 7 year old we spent a lot of time on family events but on the nights we wanted to go out Pam stepped up and helped us out by babysitting. Not a regular part of her job and don't assume she will, but so kind of her to help us out.

The Phoenix team also set up amazing day trips with Alfonso and Oliver for fishing, diving, snorkeling and everything else we did. Need a golf cart? Don't bother searching, just ask the team. I hurt my foot and needed a doctor the night before we flew out. The security team got on the phone at 11 p.m. and found me a doctor (who was also terrific and very reasonable.)

I could go on and on about how great San Pedro and The Phoenix is but if you're reading this you are already interested - book it and go. You won't regret it.

~Pen, Heather and Noel