“Best Japanese/Sushi in Belize is probably right!”

Jyoto Japanese Restaurant and Sushi bar
Ranked #128 of 215 Restaurants in San Pedro
Price range: US$30 - US$100
Description: First and best authentic Japanese and sushi restaurant in Belize. luxury ac building is great for party, best sushi bar ,only japanese chef in the island will cook and serve best Japanese dish for you . your best sushi experience ever
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Honestly, I've never been to any other Japanese restaurant in Belize, but because the quality of food here is that good, I can get behind the claim that this is the Best Japanese/Sushi restaurant in Belize!

When I read reviews about Jyoto before I left for Belize, I was a little skeptical. We've read that this place served poor food, similar to supermarket sushi in midwestern states. Those reviewers probably dislike the restaurant for other reasons and decided to bash its quality too! I can assure you, this is not the case! The food was extremely good! My family and I eat Japanese food regularly: from buffets to omakases, ramen spots to japanese supermarkets! We mostly love our local sushi joints, but we've also been to Nobu, Sushi Nakazawa, and even waited in line to have the freshest sushi at Tsukiji Fish Market!

This was our first dinner on the island and it was a Wednesday! That means Temaki Wednesdays! We enjoyed their temakis, their sashimi, their curry, as well as their ramen! They were all spot on! Fresh tasting and cooked to perfection! We had absolutely no qualms about the quality of their food!

All was not perfect, though. The service was slow. But, I attribute this to the restaurant still being fairly new, as well as the fact that it is in Belize. It looked like Chef Tsujimoto was training his other chefs that evening. I believe in time, this will get better as there will be more people to prepare food without constant guidance. Also, we are in Belize. Belize is not known for extremely fast service. Here, they do not have traffic that even comes close to that in NYC or other big cities, so the food cannot be prepped too much in advance in anticipation of a big crowd coming in (or they risk them going bad and/or tasting poorly), so most of the time, your food is prepared as it is ordered, thus creating longer wait times. The turnover is much much less. The servers were there and didn't seem overwhelmed, they were just waiting for the food to be prepared, so I cannot blame them either. Which would you prefer? Longer waits and food as fresh as possible, or shorter waits with sub par food?

Also that evening, my mother broke a glass tumbler and found that we were charged for it. US $5. Understandable, as it is a new restaurant and every expense counts, and also because that is probably the norm over there and most of the world (we are normally not breakers of glass, so we have not much experience in this!). So if that happens to you too, don't be upset or shocked!

All in all, this place was great! The food was presented well and tasted amazing! It is much more expensive than the local restaurants in SP and Belize in general, but not overly expensive. Definitely not an every day thing though (unless you just go in for the specials and that alone! That is a hard thing to do with all the good food there!). The service was not as speedy as in NYC, but that is completely understandable. Wherever you go, you always have to try and match your expectations with reality as much as possible. Otherwise, you'll just get upset for nothing.

1  Thank EricandNino

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Horrible service, manager and owner. There is not enough characters for me to tell how bad I was treated

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve spent the last two weeks in San Pedro and I visit Jyoto every chance I get. The food is spectacular. The ambiance is perfect and every dish is prepared with love. Highly highly recommend. Say hi to Toshi for me.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

Enjoyed a maki, nigiri and sashimi - visited with a party of 12 and the service was very good. Freshness of the fish was superb. Looking forward to a return visit

Reviewed 25 April 2018

Toshiya-san cares about the details and that GUARANTEES you will have the best sushi of your life at his restaurant Jyoto! We had visited his restaurant the day before to check it out as we were walking around Mahogany Bay and made a reservation for the next evening. We casually had mentioned how my wife was from Canada. Just a general conversation of saying hello. Now what happened next I can’t promise he will do for everyone or everyday, but it is the reason I can safely say that Toshiya-san is the best sushi chef I’ve ever met and he serves the best sushi I’ve ever had.

When we arrived the next day we ordered all of the vegetarian offerings he had: vegetable tempura roll, tofu, miso soup, another vegetable roll, etc. and ever single dish was an explosion of flavor and delight. As we were finishing the meal another item arrived to our table that the chef specially made for us that had avocados and tomatoes and tempura seaweed and was not only unbelievably flavorful but was truly artwork. It looked like a beautiful forest! After the meal Toshiya-san visited our table to make sure everything was to our liking and explained the last dish. He knew we were vegetarians and from Canada so he wanted to special make something we’d not only enjoy but remind of us home. What a class act! Go to Jyoto and have the best night of your life.