“This was, hands down, the best food I have had EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rojo Beach Bar

Rojo Beach Bar
Ranked #21 of 183 Restaurants in San Pedro
Price range: US$19 - US$39
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Yo-ho Rojo! Coming into our 12th season, Rojo Beach Bar is still the casual kind of place a beach bar ought to be. 3 gorgeous acres and hundreds of feet of beachfront with great snorkeling so don't forget your bathing suits and masks! Food is ordered AT THE BEACH BAR or by the runner outside the bar (there are NO waitstaff). Reason being is we are small and we don't get too crowded...a plus for you! So, we prefer to under promise and over deliver! If it's a typical day, you will be served and our staff is great! If it gets REALLY busy, we might be short-handed behind the bar, in which case you might not have a dedicated "runner/sever." Dishes are served family style, one or two at a time, with the idea that they're going to be shared over frosty drinks and lively conversation. There are no "appetizers" or "mains" per se, just tasty food. Our staff is small and everything is made from scratch. Sometimes this translates into a bit of a wait. If you are waiting for food, we suggest you enjoy a cocktail. If you are waiting for a cocktail, we suggest you relax and enjoy the view! Pet the dogs. Play some games. Happy Hour DAILY from 3pm - 5pm! And QUALITY sushi on Saturdays!
Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This was, hands down, the best food I have had EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

Anyone headed to San Pedro must make ROJO LOUNGE top priority early in their vacation. They will want to return again!!!!
The food was excellent and very creative, the atmostphere can not be beat, right on the beach. The staff was upbeat, outgoing, and very friendly. They vibe of the place was hippster meets surfer
It is also a place you could spend the day - Lounging in the pool, snorkling off the dock. Make sure and have to FROZEN MOJITO. YUM I can't stop thinking about it

1 Thank TravelingLucy68

philidelphia
“Good but hard to get to and expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We had to take a water taxi to this place and it was not until we got on that they told us it was going to be $15 a person each way. This place was nice, a bit overly trendy and a tapas style menu. With a group of 5 the price to get there was going to be $150 which is not worth it. We were able to work around it slightly with our hotel helping out for telling us it was included. Once there it was nice, good service, good food, romantic and good wine. But in my opinion not worth the travel to get there.

1 Thank travlinphilly
Largo, Florida
“Stunning Venue and Terrific Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

A new acquaintance suggested that we visit Rojo as she said it was the best restaurant on the island. I have recently purchased a home a mile or so south of the restaurant and traveled there by golf cart to meet her.

There is nothing but a simple sign from the inland road (more a of path than road) and if you are not careful you will miss it. However a short drive down the even smaller path to the restaurant is well worth the trouble. Arriving directly on the beach I just parked the cart and took two steps up to the restaurant.

Rojo is a beachy but refined venue with sofas and comfortable tables and chairs. On this night we were serenaded by the gentle trade winds which made me glad I had come. I have traveled the world over and it doesn't get much better than this for location and ambience.

Excellent grouper cakes and pulled pork tostones accompanied by a quite decent sauvignon blanc made for a very, very good dinner. Some sort of truly decadent chocolate cake/soufle with a chambord sauce and vanilla ice cream followed by Remy XO and espresso completed a completely delightful experience. Service was excellent, friendly but unobtrusive.

The combination of the Rojo Lounge and a charming dinner companion made for my best evening so far on this wonderful little island.

I highly recommend the Rojo Lounge to you. I understand the pizzas and other offerings at lunch make that a worthwhile experience as well. There is also man made reef at the end of their pier and an infintiy pool by the restaurant for the use of guests of the Rojo Lounge and the associated Azul resort.

2 Thank ChiefExec
Colbert, WA
“Ambergris Caye Best Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

When I asked the owner of our resort’s dive shop for a recommendation for a good restaurant, he told us that the Rojo Lounge (http://www.azulbelize.com/rojo.html) was not only the best on Ambergris Caye, but one of the best restaurants he’s ever visited. Given that the recommendation was from one who’s lived on the island for over 15 years, that’s high praise from a top authority. If you’re looking for a short review, there’s the verdict: the Rojo Lounge is a don’t-miss experience. Now the details:

I couldn’t stop smiling when my wife and I walked into the space – sophisticated, hip, with a Caribbean vibe. The thatched-roof, beachside outdoor dining area features deep red accents, very cool onyx floor-mounted light fixtures (I even took photos), big bamboo armchairs with over-stuffed cushions, and casual sitting areas around visually soothing, Asian-inspired water features. An eclectic soundtrack tending toward upbeat Latin sounds ties it together for a unique, memorable island setting.

But hey, we came for the food and the food is the star. I like to try new flavors, but newness alone does not a winning entrée make (a trip to China a few months ago reinforced this axiom). But the owners, transplants from San Francisco, have come up with a winning menu that capitalizes on the seaside locale (shrimp, lobster and other just-caught seafood) local tropical fruits, and makes the extra effort to get what is NOT available locally (quality vegetables) to create completely fresh, big-flavor taste sensations that evoke the oceanside setting. We had plantain tostones (bananas smashed into a disc and fried) topped with pulled pork shoulder and pineapple salsa; mixed greens with papaya seed vinaigrette, grilled lobster & seasonal fresh vegetables; sausage and lobster wontons; and cashew pesto penne pasta with grilled shrimp and lobster. All new, all delicious. The highlight, and what lured us back the next night (a 30 minute walk on the beach each way), was perhaps the best dessert ever to pass my lips: Banana Dream. Homemade banana-Kahlua ice cream (unbelievable), topped (and surrounded) by bananas cooked in brown sugar and Kahlua. And it was huge – my wife and I shared a single, heaping bowl both nights. In the words of Roy Orbison: “Mmmm….Mercy!”

Getting around the island by land is not easy, and the Rojo Lounge is toward the north end of the island. But the Island Ferry will deliver you to their dock (or if you’re staying within walking distance, a stroll to and from along the beach is a pleasant way to travel). We paid about $90 U.S. both nights (no drinks), including tax and gratuity. Not cheap, but about $30 less than what we paid at our resort for an unremarkable dinner the first night (salad with iceberg lettuce for $12!). And from what we could tell, anything decent outside of San Pedro (we had a good Mexican dinner in town for about $30 the second night) will be a bit spendy.

But if you’re coming to Ambergris Caye, do what it takes to get to the Rojo Lounge. Your effort will be fully rewarded with a truly memorable, island dining experience!
Andy S., Washington

2 Thank KAAB
st.petersburg
“restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

rojo lounge is a great place for a dinner. they have a good choice of wine, and the chief (gringo from san francisco :-) is a true wizard. try ceviche and hummus. book for a dinner, otherwise you won't get a table...