“Bliss”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Bliss”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at Ak'bol in January of 2013 and the 9 days spent there changed my life. Yes, that sounds like an overreaction and if I were reading this I'd assume BS... but it's the truth! I arrived a stressed out, overworked, undernourished, and strung-out. I left able to breathe, able to move my right shoulder, which had been frozen for six months, and able to return to "real-life" with a clearer outlook on the world around me.

Specific praise for Ak'bol has to be for the staff. Every single person associated with Ak'bol was kind, smiley, and helpful. Second, I more than enjoyed the yoga classes. As I mentioned, I could hardly move one of my shoulders, and if you've practiced yoga, you know that many asanas involve moving your shoulders. Kirsten and another teacher, her friend Molly, took special care of me and even incorporated specific postures to help strengthen my shoulder and coax it to be more pliable. I especially loved that when I gave my body a little break during class, I could gaze at the fish swimming under the palapa (through the tiny spaces between the floor boards).

Room Tip: The rooms with the shared bathroom are perfect for one or two travelers!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DebraLynneS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed at The Phoenix (top notch!), but we took a golf cart out for the day to head north, and decided to stop in Ak'bol for a drink.
The bar was very "local" and super laid-back feeling, far, far away from the touristy areas of San Pedro.
We sat outside and had blended fruit drinks. Delicious!
The atmosphere was very calming We sat next to a couple who were honeymooning there and they said they have never been so relaxed. I believe it.
A spot I just might consider at my next stop in Belize!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elaine197
Jackson, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have stayed at Ak'Bol twice and each time I had a great experience! The rooms are clean and secure, the staff helpful and friendly, the food to die for(coconut french toast). Never had any problems with doing what I wanted to do, Kirstin or Millo always handled everything from diving, snorkling, and fishing. Meeting new people and the laid back style of Ak'Bol is the perfect place to unplug.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Lewisberry, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My wife and I stayed a few minutes north of Ak'bol on a five day vacation and ate breakfast at Ak'bol three of those days. All I can say is try the Coconut French Toast, Huevoes Rancharos and Bloody Mary's. Our bartender/server Philip was terrific. The sites and location of Ak'Bol are fantastic as well.

John & Kris, Harrisburg, PA

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John D
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Sadly, my stay was ruined by their refusal to take responsibility -- their water taxi dock is unlit and has periodic open spaces; when getting out of the boat in the dark I stepped backwards and fell through an opening into the dark water. Fortunately I have no fear of water, and was helped. But my iPhone was ruined, and thy took no responsibility, not even offering to contribute to the cost of a new one. Of course I could have sued, but chose to just move on...Too bad, as everything else was lovely. Surprising that a yoga place would be so irresponsible.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NYTraveller2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing, laid back experience where you can experience the local flavor, beauty, and culture of Belize, this is a great place for you! Kirsten and Milio are friendly owners who enjoying talking with their guests and the staff are simply wonderful people. They made me feel right at home! People come from all over the island to enjoy the breakfast food - served all day (highly recommend the coconut french toast, huevos rancheros, and the yogurt parfait!) The yoga classes are heaven - imagine practicing your sun salutations with the waves lapping underneath the dock under a thatched (palapa) hut with the beautiful blue ocean as far as the eye can see. Kirsten is an excellent teacher - I had recently suffered a shoulder injury and she modified the positions for me so that I could still enjoy the class while respecting my body's limitations. Staying at Ak'bol is a direct transport from stress time into island time - everything slows down, you included, and I encourage you to embrace the experience.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the sea garden cabanas and enjoyed the experience!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sultana A
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Make sure you try te coconut French toast or the multi grain pancakes. The homemade sugar cane cinnamon syrup that is served is incredible. All the egg dishes are great too. Wonderful view of Caribbean. The owners, Emilio and Kirsten, are great for conversation and local lore.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple