“Great Stay”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Ak'bol was a great place to stay. The staff was helpful. The room was comfortable, clean, and simple. I liked that I did not have to buy water. The room had it own water container, so I was able to refill my water bottle. The location was superb. It was a great place to unplug and relax. The food was great. I especially enjoyed the fresh coconut pancakes. I enjoyed everything about Ak'bol except for the email I received after my stay: Thank you... for visiting Ak'boL. Sorry, I am confused a bit doing the end of the month reports. You paid for a private room with shared bath 5 nights $287.50US and ended up staying in a cabana #5? There will be an upgrade charge: 5 nights @$145US/nt+tax total $833.75US less payment $287.50US due $546.25US.
thanks for clarifying, Kirsten/Ak'boL

I would have considered staying again in Ak'bol, but after receiving the email regarding the room mix-up and wanting me to pay for the mishap after the fact was not cool. I am not sure if I would return to Ak'bol Nonetheless, I believe it to be a great place to unplug and relax. There just need to be better management on billing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 159patricia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Solomons, Maryland
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were not staying on the resort but up the beach about 10 minutes. Decided to stop for lunch on our way back from a walk. The place was almost empty 5 folks sitting at a table and 2 at the bar. We stood at the bar for a good 5 minutes before anyone said a word to us even
though there was plenty of staff in the kitchen area that could see us. Waitress finally acknowledged our presence and handed us a couple menus. No hello, no thanks for coming, I'll be right with you. Nothing. We went and sat a table. 15 minutes went by and she never came back to take a drink order. I finally flagged her down and ordered a couple beers and lunch.

Nothing speedy about the food arrival, but my wife and I finished our beers by the time the food arrived. We asked for a couple more beers when the food arrived but never received them. Now we were the only people in the place. Waitress never came back to check on us, finished our food, waited for a while. Finally I got up and walked to the bar to get the check. I had ordered a combo platter of salbutes, panades and pupusas that was supposed to have fish (snapper) on it. I asked if the dish had fish on because it didn't taste like it had any fish. Waitress said "so you wanted it to taste fishy". No but I would like to be able to tell that there was fish in in it. Sure couldn't taste it, sure couldn't find anything that looked like pieces of fish. The quesadillas my wife had were excellent. The combo platter I had was tasty but in my opinion there was no fish in it. Food was pretty good but the waitress needs to find another profession. She was terrible.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim H
Astana, Kazakhstan
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Ak'bol is a gem for yogis who want a break from city life. I stayed in the yoga barracks--they are simple, clean, and comfortable. They are built with consciousness, as each room has a window to feel connected to nature. The grounds are well kept, and the staff friendly and helpful.

The wi-fi doesn't work, which is really a plus. It's so easy to stay plugged in, and it's so important to unplug. I recommend renting a bike to go into town, or explore the other restaurants for dinner and such.

It's amazing to practice yoga on the Caribbean ocean--a gorgeous place to relax and renew, connect to Nature and just be. Kirsten is a gifted yoga teacher. I learned so much during my stay, taking about 10 yoga classes over 17 days. I returned to the city with a renewed commitment to my practice.

Thank you!

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs in the barracks are nicer. They seem cleaner (not as close to the earthy elements...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dancinbuddha
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We didn't stay at the Resort, we just dropped by for breakfast one morning. The chocolate coconut pancakes were good but the coconut french toast was amazing! It has great beach front views and a nice atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Excellent experience! We enjoyed staying a few nights and taking yoga classes above the water and near the beach each day. The food service is very good, using fresh ingredients and good menue selections.quality. The pricing is average compared to CA. but may be a bit high for Belize. Overall, quality has been put into the details, such as the design of thte washrooms. We are going back!

Room Tip: We stayed int he village area and were fine with these accommodations. the group washroom is huge ad...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Rode our bikes north from San Pedro and stopped for breakfast. Wish I can remember the gentelman serving us, he was so friendly. Food was outstanding for breakfast, (I am not a breakfast kind of guy) but I would definitely recomend this place.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with my mother. The cabanas are beautiful, but rustic. It was nice to get off the grid for a few days. We specially enjoyed the outdoor showers! We absolutely loved Kristin's (owners) daily yoga classes. The 2-hour class on the pier was one of the most amazing experiences that I've had in a long time. It's great for all levels as Kristen offers variations on each pose. The food is great and the staff and owners are very helpful. One of the nights we took a raw, vegan cooking class with Julia Butterfly Hill! We also enjoyed walking to the Palapa Bar (close by) at night for cocktails. Definitely recommend this spot! If you are single, ask about the dorm lodging.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family