“Worth trying for a yoga class!”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Northern New Jersey
“Worth trying for a yoga class!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed just south of San Pedro town at Xanadu Resort. It was a chaotic 30 min. bike ride to get here for the drop in yoga class, but the view and location are spectacular. The setting is just beautiful, so we were glad to have made the trip. We didn't fully connect with the teacher who runs the resort; although she was very knowledgeable sometimes you just connect better with some teachers more than others. We still enjoyed class and would def. say try it out if you are in San Pedro. Another option for yoga in San Pedro town is the Zen Arcade, which we also enjoyed!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stopped by Akbol to eat dinner one night in their restaurant (late April 2014). We ordered the meal, and as we sat at the bar (it was too windy to sit at the tables near the beach) waiting for our food, I saw, through the kitchen window, that the kitchen staff was taking food out of many different containers with their bare hands and putting it onto a plate that was served to us. I did not think anything of this, as we had eaten at many local establishments inland and were fine. I figured “these guys know what they are doing, especially since they kind of have a name on the island, and are owned by an American couple.” The horror started at 3 am for me, and at 6 am for my wife. We had eaten nothing else that day except a brunch at around 10, so it could have only been the reaction to what was served us at Akbol. Without going into all the disgusting details, suffices to say my wife and I looked so much like death by early morning, the couple, at whose house we were staying, had no choice but to rush us to the hospital. I have traveled all over Central and South America, and have had my share of stomach issues, but never like this. It was so bad that the polyclinic which accepted us insisted on an IV Drip for myself (my first), and three shots for my wife (not to mention the five kinds of medication, including antibiotics, which I am still forced to take as I write this review). In the end, how they allow this place to continue is beyond me. ONLY COME TO THIS PLACE IF YOU WANT YOUR VACATION TO INCLUDE A STIFF HOSPITAL GURNEY IN THE GENERAL WARD OF A POLYCLINIC IN THE THIRD WORLD. Thank God it was at least free care, otherwise we would have been out of money as well as vacation time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Mark N
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed in one of the seaside cabanas for part of our honeymoon. Everything about our stay was pretty awesome - the relaxed atmosphere, great & healthy food, yoga on the pier, staff, etc. Although the seaside cabanas are the most expensive rooms, I would highly recommend staying in one. It would be rare to stay in an equivalent cabana for such a good price.

Be aware this place isn't for everyone (no AC, TV) but is perfect for someone looking for a room with a strong connection to the outdoors. All of the common spaces are also right on the beach. Hammocks provided as well!

Room Tip: The seaside cabanas have the most wind (most noise from this) and therefore least mosquitos.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin VA
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Open from 7-5, they focus on breakfast and lunch.
We had a light combination lunch, which was enough for the two of us.
This consisted of 3 different dishes somewhat similar to Mexican food but with an island flair and enjoyed them all.
A number of guests had breakfast items which looked quite good.
Friendly and cheerful but not overbearing service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Vermont, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Seating at the bar or at outdoor tables overlooking the beach. Informal dining. Food is good and reasonable priced for the area. The service was very good as well. We ate there twice and enjoyed it each time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2014

If you're looking for the comforts of home (a flat screen TV, a large bathtub, air conditioning, etc.) this is probably not the place for you.

If you're excited about the idea of showering under the stars, doing yoga on a pier facing a blue ocean and sleeping in mosquito net draped bed, Ak'bol is a great place to spend a few nights (or even a few weeks if you can squeeze it in!).

We had the pleasure of spending a few nights at Ak'Bol and within a short period of time, we felt very much at home. Kirsten, Neelio, Tua, John, Phillip and the rest of the staff treat everyone like family. Our typical day started with coffee and breakfast at the main house, followed either by a run or yoga. Then we'd either go for a boat ride, snorkel, go into town or just relax on the pier.

*food / consistently some of the best in San Pedro. Typically, everything is fresh and locally sourced (they'll tell you if it's not). the juices, ceviches, shrimp and fish are awesome! same goes for local Belizean foods (salbutas, tortillas, etc.)

*rooms / all are footsteps from the beach, which is awesome. you never have to wear shoes the entire time you're at Ak'bol. the outdoor shower is fun - there's nothing like standing naked under the stars (don't worry, it's totally private).

*service / since Ak'bol is small and remote, you literally know everyone within a day and they know you. everyone was extremely kind and helpful, especially with arranging various logistics - from day trips to getting in and out of San Pedro.

Overall, Ak'bol is a great experience - if you're looking to get away from the mainstream and get a more local experience, Ak'bol is the place to go!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center. The ocean is the best (and most beautiful) fitness center in the world).
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was a return visit for us to Ak’Bol. We were greeted so warmly upon our arrival and that feeling pervaded our week-plus stay.

I have written a long, detailed review before, so this year, I just wish to highlight:

-“Ak’Bol” means “heart of the village,” and as beautiful as this place is, it’s so much about the people: Those who work there, stop for a meal, or stay. Ak’Bol really attracts some good eggs. It was only our second visit, yet we were treated like family.

-More practically, when I got our bill, I sat rather stunned with my husband, as I could not believe it was right. The total for food and drink over 9 days in BZ $ was so reasonable, I was sure there was a mistake. When I think of what we pay for “whatever” in the US and how very special and from-scratch everything was, I was just very grateful for the goodness in everything we ate and drank. (Which for me was almost exclusively local seafood which I highly recommend sticking to).

-Come for the ocean, stay for the yoga. Last year was my first experience with yoga. After a year of beginner effort and a sprained knee, I really enjoyed having different teachers on this trip and a big A+ to my husband for trying it! While I was in class often with very experienced yogis, my total beginner / injured efforts were supported and encouraged. And I did see a ray off the dock while in a pose.

-Flora and fauna. Iguanas are occupants of the cabanas (mostly outside), and we were a little jealous that others had hatchlings. If you don’t think these creatures are fascinating, keep that in mind when deciding to stay. I could watch them all day and find their nighttime activity oddly comforting. Likewise, the bird calls at sunrise and the flowers at every turn. I loved coming home to find a few flowers sprinkled about our outdoor shower, watched over by the resident iguana.

In summary, “wherever you go, there you are.” Ak’Bol offers a pretty simple and straight line to a happy and carefree vacation, but it’s up to us guests to unpack our baggage and allow ourselves to enjoy the ocean, the sun, the food and drink, the almost-completely-non-existent WIFI, and days of activity and rest.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple