“Wonderful Retreat”

Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wonderful Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I didn't stay but have attended yoga class, ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the hospitality. We showed up for class to find the instructor out of town. It was low season and I did not call first. The owner was very apologetic. Gave us the key to the mat locker and allowed us to use the yoga studio on our own. It was wonderful. Had a very nice lunch there. Menu offers local selections which were very good. Returned the following week and participated in a class with Kirsten. Excellent practice. She had a full 2 hours of challenging work. She gave much needed assistance when needed and was very warm, friendly. If you haven't check their web site to see where their studio is, you must do so. Their pier is very well-constructed with a huge covered studio at the end. I saw several types of fish including a school of barracuda flashing around the water. A remarkable experience. I'll be back several more times while I'm staying in San Pedro.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We didn't stay here but did enjoy their restaurant and take a tour of the property. The restaurant had all their prices in Belize dollars which was a great sign to start out with. The value overall is wonderful and the food was great. Was impressed by the vibe and yoga. It's nice to see a place that spends a lot of time gently educating and making sure the experience is wonderful as well.

Room Tip: This hotel and bar/restaurant attached is about 200 yards north up the beach from the palapas bar th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I normally don't take the time to make review when I travel (shame on me) but I have to do it for Akbol. If you're looking for something a little laid back, typical, hippies in a prime spot, Akbol is the right place for you. Food was amazing, yoga on the pear unbeattable and they have one of the best beach on the island!! Totally want to come back for a full yoga retreat. Namaste.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephlevesque
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Ak'Bol - the HEART of the Village in Maya, Ambergris Caye, Belize, May 09 to May 15, 2014

we used " Ak'Bol " as out Breakfast Place during our visit since our Resort did not have a Food & Beverage facility. We started each morning to walk along the Caribbean Sea for 20 Minutes to work up our Breakfast Appetite to reach * Ak'Bol " what a nice walk it was. This is actually a Resort which specializes in " YOGA Classes " and the young women come from all over the USA. I spoke to one participant, she told me that it was her third visit. The Restaurant is located Ocean Front with a direct view to the Caribbean Sea and a little beach. The Breakfast Menu is extensive , you get one Coffee refill , they accept Credit Cards. We enjoyed their Granola / fresh fruit / yogurt dish. While you are there select a table looking out to the Caribbean Sea, the views are breathtaking . We would go back to Ak'Bol anytime they also serve Lunch there.Prices on the menu are listed in US Dollars. Enjoy my pictures too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erfurt
Orange Park, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I stopped here for breakfast and dinner. We must have caught them on a bad day for breakfast because they came so highly recommended. Food was okay but no better than average. My wife had a hair in her food which for her is a big deal. I had the traditional Belizian breakfast which was okay even if the Fry Jacks were forgettable.

For dinner, however, I had an order of Salbutes which were good and a pizza which was also pretty good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David N
Orange, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed here for a yoga retreat, and overall the experience was fine. It's important that you know what you are getting. I specifically stayed in the "village rooms" with shared bathroom. It really felt like being in a hostel. Sparse but private rooms with an overhead fan. The shared bathrooms are large, with each shower stall somewhat roomy with individual door. The toilet stalls are in the same large room, also individual doors. There is an occasional sulphur smell....What I didn't expect was the co-ed nature of the place. Very much felt like a college dorm, and was not what I personally was looking for. My village room was on the second floor, bathrooms on main floor so every time you want to rinse your hands or get some filtered water, down the stairs you go. The cabana situation may be different.

Across the road lays the beach and the main bar/restaurant. Our group ate 3 meals a day here and we NEVER had any food illness concerns. Our food was made for the group by the kitchen staff, but I also had a few meals off the menu, and all were good. I would not hesitate to eat here again despite another posted review (sometimes when you travel you pick up a bad stomach bug).

The rain-water pool was quite pleasant, the beach and view is gorgeous, and the location for the yoga was AMAZING. I am at a stage in my life where I would like something a little more luxurious, but for budget minded folks this place is a good deal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo