“A perfect relaxation getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro
Ak'bol Yoga Retreat & Eco-Resort
san diego
“A perfect relaxation getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

We loved this place, perfect retreat just far enough form the craziness of san pedro but close enough to catch a boat for dinner. The yoga was awesome although a bit pricey for drop ins (15US). The rooms were adorable and bathrooms super clean (we stayed in the yoga barracks). Make sure you grab dinner at "Art of life" just down the road. Its actually and art gallery that the owner turned into a mini restaurant and serves you her home cooked delicious meals. She opened the place just for a group of us form the retreat! Kirsten and Emilio are super sweet and helped my husband and I set up a scuba trip and arrangements to the airport.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

We stayed at Ak'Bol for our honeymoon last month and loved it. The resort has two types of rooms - cabanas and yoga barracks. We stayed in the yoga barracks, which was much cheaper without sacrificing much space or quality. The shared bathroom was very neat, spacious, and had plenty of hot water. The room was impeccably clean - the housekeeping staff was incredible here. It is a bit small compared to most hotels, but we spent most of our time outside of the room anyway. My only complaint, as others have mentioned, is that the room is very dim at night, even with the lights on. Bring a headlamp.

While others have said that the service was slow, we didn't feel that way. It's not McDonald's, but that's because the food is homemade from scratch when you order it. And delicious at that. It is true that the restaurant sometimes appeared understaffed during busy times. That said, the restaurant staff was amazing - very friendly and cool.

Location is fantastic if you're looking to get away from the circus that is San Pedro. It's north of the bridge (about a 30 minute walk or 10-15 minute bike ride to town), so things are nice and quiet. There's a private dock, a clean beach, palm trees...a postcard-worthy scene. We biked into town most nights to eat dinner, but there are a couple of restaurants nearby: Legends and Art of Life. Legends is a burger house with a great black bean burger (we're vegetarian), while Art of Life is a really cool little art studio/bistro type place. Definitely check it out.

Value was good. The yoga barracks rooms are US $50 for two. Yoga classes are a bit expensive at US $15 per person, per class. The resort offers kayaking and snorkeling trips for reasonable prices as well.

Overall, we had a great time here with few complaints. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland, OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

So you would think a yoga resort would be all about relaxation and service. Um, not this one. The owner / manager runs around barking orders at the overwhelmed and understaffed crew. We went there for breakfast one day and will not return to this place, ever. We sat for 2 hours waiting on food - the orders came out wrong, some did not even come out at all. The owner flitted around chatting with guests instead of pitching in to make sure everyone was satisfied with the service and food. The poor bartender could not even finish one task without being told about another 10 things she needed to get done (all the while, the owner / manager just chatted with guests at the bar). Maybe staying at the resort gives you a better experience, or maybe those with reservations are treated better than people who just stop by - either way, I dont care to find out. There are plenty of locally run establishments that treat their customers better for me to frequent.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank ScubaDunkletts
ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

EVERYTHING about our stay at Ak'bol was wonderful, the food, the rooms, the yoga the staff......everything! We made so many new friends while there - the resort just attracts terrific people. Be sure not to miss the opportunity for a massage by Milio ! The best I've ever had. Snorkeling with Steven was excellent ! We could not have asked for a better vacation.
Thanks Kirsten and Milio ! I can hardly wait to return next year!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

A group of us decided to take a ride up to the North side of the island for a some breakfast. We stopped in at the Ak'bol Yoga Retreat. The location was amazing and the menu looked good. However, that was about it.

The restaurant is open to the public, but the staffing does not really support more than the actual guests at the retreat. The manager/owner really seemed clueless to the needs of her establishment. She was great at barking orders to her understaffed kitchen, but not so great at jumping in to help get things done. The restaurant/bar had about eight patrons when we arrived. Our group made it fifteen. However that seemed to be too much for the staff to manage.

We realize that while on vacation in Ambergris Caye, you learn to slow down and move at belize time. We have no problem doing that at all that is part of the charm of the caye. But waiting over 40 minutes for drinks is more than normal, even for island time.

The food orders were wrong, either missing ingredients or just not delivered at all. The group was not feed at the same time, there was almost an hour between the first person receiving their meal to the last person receiving theirs. The quality of the food was not worth the wait.

I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dollipop
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

The service at Ak'Bol was excellent. Milo and Kristen, the owners, and staff were great hosts. The location was perfect, right on the beach and they provided access to quite a few tours. Cabanas on the beach offered more privacy and immediate proximity to the beach. The rooms at the yoga barracks were small but adequate. I loved the design of the room and had ample storage space for my belongings. Bring a reading lamp to supplement the lighting. There were community bathrooms and I absolutely loved the island style outdoorsy (no they weren't outdoors! just felt like it) showers. Ak'bol is two miles away from the main town of San Pedro and it was a comfortable walk along the beach. Also the people were amazing and very friendly in town. I would recommend taking the water taxi from Belize City to save money. Wifi access at the resort but you must have a laptop. Bug spray is a must and get your souvenirs at the airport, wide range to choose from and fairly reasonable in price.

• Stayed February 2010
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

Thank god for this place. I loved my stay. I loved it! In fact, I stayed there twice! I flew in from San Francisco and went directly here. The next morning I had the best healthy pre-yoga breakfast, walked down the dock for a yoga class, took a kayak out to the reef, came back for another healthy lunch and went on a walk. The next day we had to start exploring Belize and let me tell you - I have seen the country. All I wanted to do before I left Belize was repeat my first day at Ak'bol. So I did. Would my super-fancy mother love Ak'bol? I think she would find it charming. I found it perfect for my minimal budget & my very high standards. It is exceptional. Just go.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends