“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
bedroom 1
Beach
view to the beach
ocean view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Wendy W
Birmingham, Alabama
“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
Reviewed 20 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Where do I begin ? Wolfgang had Orlando waiting on us at the air strip to take us to the Villa. Top notch service. We were greeted at the villa with our golf carts already there and Wolfgang, Eldon and Mirta smiling, waiting on us. Fresh juice in the refrigerator and fresh cut flowers in a vase on the bar. Our every need was met and this was an AWESOME 21st Anniversary !!
We snorkeled, swam, went on a catamaran snorkel trip complete with fishing, food and sunset. The following day we went on a big sailboat for an all day 4-stop snorkel trip, MORE AWESOME FOOD and swam with NERF SHARKS and STINGRAYS and fish everywhere!! Experience of a lifetime!! Wolfgang took us on a tour and showed us great local restaurants and was the perfect host. ELDON was there bright and early every morning keeping the grounds up and running to the store for me and doing anything we needed. WHAT A SUPER GUY!! Mirta came and cleaned twice and even did our laundry. She is so nice and smiling all the time. What a SWEETHEART. Wolfgang is the PERFECT host. Always there (he lives upstairs), but never intrusive. How can i forget COOKIE & TIGER!! We were missing our Lab, Maggie, back home and Cookie filled that hole for us that week. We would go back TOMORROW !!

Katy M
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
“Great View and Great Company”
Reviewed 13 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014

This was my first experience to Belize along with my travel buddy. We decided to take a girl's trip and landed on Belize, after a few Trip Advisor Reviews, we landed on Casa Buena Vista. The feel of the house along with the people and pups seemed safe, with modern amenities and sounded like a perfect spot to camp for a few days.

Casa Buena Vista has all you need to have meals at home and is no more then a golf cart away from restaurants, the grocery store or even pizza (which we had twice)! We chose to do some excursions which included snorkeling (make sure to put sunscreen on your back, whoops!) as well as Ziplining on the Main Land.

If you travel in October or around that, make sure to pack on lots of bug spray. The locals told us Vicks Vapo Rub, Deet, some other island stuff and when you do get bit there is a remedy called Gumbo Limbo, it's pretty amazing! Find it in a tourist store.

Wolfgang and Eldon did a great job making sure we had a golf cart, ferry ride, excursions and any other random thing that we may need. The 2nd bathroom is getting a renovation right about now so plan on 2 good size bathrooms and bedrooms for your stay.

The bonus are Wolfgang's two great friends, Tiger and Cookie. Cookie is your companion for the trip and Tiger is just there for entertainment. The pups were a nice addition to Casa Buena Vista.

Travel Methods:

We took Tropic Ferry to Wolfgang's House and overall had a good experience. If you like the water, I would recommend this versus a public taxi as they take you directly to Wolfgang's house. Make sure to ask the question when you book if you will have to wait for others to arrive before you head to the island. We did and were surprised at our 1.5 hour wait until we took off from LadyVille.

On our excursion to the Mainland we took Mayan Islands and it was quick and easy and I believe the same price. Worth it on the excursion so you have time to relax at home.

Excursions:
Snorkeling for the day was great! Sharks, Stingray and many sea animals

Ziplining and Mayan Ruins were well worth the history and experience.

Travelling group: Friends
jennbean1
Fort Worth, Texas
“A lovely place to stay!”
Reviewed 16 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Wolfgang's place very much. The house is well appointed and has a beautiful view.

Just a few notes for anyone thinking of staying here.
--You'll definitely want to rent some mode of transport for your stay. We recommend a golf cart but for the athletic and hearty, a bicycle would work. It's a heck of a walk if you don't go via the beach.
--The house does not have central air so be prepared to use the ocean breeze as your daytime air conditioner. There's a portable A/C in the bedroom that we used to cool us at night. We affectionately referred to it as "the wind tunnel" as it pretty much just blows constantly. But we actually got used to it and, after a night trying to live without it, came to appreciate it covering up the nighttime sounds of the island we city dwellers aren't used to.
--The bed and pillows are firm. I prefer mine to be softer, so I would recommend bringing your own pillow if you're the same.
--There are TONS of storage in the master bedroom (since it was just us, we never saw the second bedroom). There's a full closet with plenty of space for hanging clothes and a second smaller one with shelves. Then there's the bedside table and an armoire. You will not be wanting for places to stow things.
--Wolfgang lives in the second floor apartment upstairs so you'll see him around. We enjoyed our interactions with him and liked him being nearby. He helped us order pizza delivery one night and made sure we had everything we needed.
--There's also a second, smaller guest house behind the main house. So there could be other guests around the property as well. We made quick friends with the woman who was staying there and enjoyed when she joined us for rum on our patio.
--The groundskeeper, Eldon, was a sweetheart and was eager to help with anything we needed. He takes great care of Wolfgang's property by clearing out anything that may have fallen from the palms overnight or clearing out seaweed that has washed up. And maybe more importantly, poisoning any ant that dares attempt to make that particular strip of beach home.
--The housekeeper came on Wednesday of our Sunday to Sunday stay. So you should be prepared to hang up towels and clean up after your self for a few days. She did do our laundry for which we were very grateful.
--Cookie and Tiger, Wolfgang's sweet doggies, were a welcome addition to our stay. I was missing my own dog so much, a few minutes with them was just the thing I needed. And until you've seen Cookie trot up and down the beach with a coconut in his mouth, your holiday isn't complete.

I have stayed in a handful of vacation rental properties and this is one of the best. But if you're looking for pampering and someone to constantly clean up after you, then you should look for a hotel (I'm looking at you Mr. 2-Star Reviewer from FL).

Angela R
Issaquah, Washington
“Villa Casa Buena Vista was paradise, it stays with you...”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

I've waited almost a month to write this review because I've kept the memory of Villa Casa Buena Vista so close to me, reliving the memories & moments... imagining I'm still there.... Reliving enjoying my coffee with coconut cream on the patio in the morning, lying on the beach - either in the sun or shade throughout the day, lounging on the water chair in the afternoon sun in that beautiful, clear blue-green water. Eating our dinner on the patio with a view that most on the island simply don't have.

Just like no photo can adequately portray the beautiful Caribbean waters, no words can do this villa justice. If you're looking for peace & quiet. But I'll try. We found rave reviews of this villa and the photos and amenities sold us, which is why we booked it. So I want to return the favor with my own review.

I am a single female who was traveling with a friend. We are both single Moms who had a chance to vacation without kids - so we didn't want to be around other peoples' kids while we were on vacation. This was the perfect place to get the peace, quiet and pampering we sought.

Upon arrival, Wolfgang not only had coffee and fresh juice & coconut muffins waiting for us... (I want more of those muffins!) but he also graciously toured us around San Pedro - giving us a local's perspective on where to eat (and not). We really appreciated this. We immediately stocked up on fresh pastries from The Baker and homemade guacamole from Maria's. YUM! I would challenge anyone to find a better host.

We felt safe knowing Wolf, his groundskeeper, Eldon, and his 2 dogs were always around.

Wolf and Eldon were available and attentive, but never intrusive or pushy. This was the right balance of attention for us.

The villa itself is so beautiful and clean. I'm very picky when it comes to comfortable and clean accommodations - and this villa (mostly) met expectations. To be picky, I do have one critique. Again, as two single females, traveling together (but not as a couple) - we were looking for, and found here, 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms. Both bedrooms have an ocean view, we loved that! However, the 2nd bathroom has not yet been remodeled, it's very small and hot, making it hard to do my hair or put on jewelry and makeup when sweating. So I used it as little as possible. What made up for it was the outside shower, which I LOVED!!! How often do you get to do that? I was so happy to shower outside where I could see palm trees over the top of the shower! Such a treat.

I could go on & on about how much I loved this trip. But I need to share why this place stays in my heart. It's Eldon and Cookie. Eldon is the groundskeeper who does anything & everything he can to ensure you're happy, comfortable. We had to let go of using the internet for recommendations and learn to rely on Eldon who knew best. :)

Cookie is the 'coconut retriever'. I've never been much of a dog person. But I could seriously take Cookie home with me. Cookie is awesome!!

Not my favorite parts of this trip:
- Golf cart, dirt roads, potholes, cobblestone streets - but you're in a 3rd world country, so you accept & deal with it
- Restaurants on dirt roads, not along the beach - sometimes we got our food to go b/c Wolf's villa is prime real estate, you simply cannot beat the patio view
- Yes there are bugs in Belize, and yes, I got bit, but plan & deal with it; or don't go to Belize! Wolf's villa is one of the best places for the least bugs b/c he is right on the water and you get that ocean breeze

Favorites of this trip:
- Paradise location
- Beautiful villa
- Wolf's water chairs - could live on that thing!
- Snorkeling trips (we went on 3, highlight!)
- The Belize people were beautiful, friendly and not pushy
- Wolf
- Eldon
- Cookie

I'm SO glad I explored Belize and yes, I would go back. Thankful for the beautiful memories!

Liked best: The location of the villa on Ambergris Caye, remote and beautiful
Liked least: Golf cart with the dirt roads, potholes, speed bumps, etc.
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Kaigoss69
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
“Do not agree with other reviewers”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

I'm not sure why everybody seems to love this place so much. We are not picky, nor are we whiners, and this is one of the few negative reviews I had to write over the years. I usually keep quiet, but I wanted to make sure that other people like us don't make the same mistake. We wanted to like this place, we really did, but in the end it was a huge disappointment. On the positive side, the location is great for relaxing, swimming and snorkeling. The grounds are clean and well taken care of. But this is where it ends.

Negatives:

* Mosquitoes! July is mosquito season and we were attacked whenever we dared to venture outside. I'm talking swarms! We had the larger villa and the screen door to the porch slides and there is a huge gap even when the door is closed and hundreds of hungry little blood suckers are sitting on the screen waiting for you to come outside and many make their way inside through the opening between the screen and the window. I specifically asked about mosquitoes and I was told that we should not worry because there is always a breeze off the ocean which blows them away. Well, there was a breeze maybe for 1 or 2 days while we were there during our 14 day stay. 12 days of mosquito hell. Not until the last few days did we find out you can buy these spiral incent things that you burn and they kill the mosquitoes inside the apartment. They work, but how healthy is that?

* Wolfgang is a bit too controlling. He was worried about us leaving the mobile air conditioners on during the day even though it was very warm inside (he actually asked us not to use them at all and only if/when we really needed them). He actually came inside a few times when we were gone and turned them off! Then he reminded us that we should not run them during the day! This is unacceptable and rude. Also, we used some of the kitchen knives for fishing and at one time he was in panic because all the knives were gone and he accused our kids of losing them. Of course, we did not lose any and at the end of our stay the kitchen was stocked the same as we found it. Wolfgang is European and this can sometimes be normal behavior over there, but on this side of the world it is rude. He was also not shy about sharing his political views, which we did not agree with.

* The groundskeeper was too pushy asking for handouts. He was nice and friendly, but every time we returned from a fishing trip he invited himself in and asked (indirectly) for a portion of the catch. Basically standing there with his hands open until you give him something. Not cool.

* In order to get around you need to rent a golf cart. Plan on spending around $250 a week for that. Everything in town is very expensive, everything. The people are constantly asking for handouts, no matter where you go. The restaurants are just OK when you factor in the price.

We should just have done all-inclusive in Mexico but we wanted to try something different. We learned our lesson.

Liked best: Ocean
Liked least: Owner & Mosquitoes
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
30 Jul 2014
Thank you for your anonymous posting and criticism. It is well taken. We are aware that we will have to improve in many ways to present an even better product for our guests.

Unfortunately wind and weather are unpredictable; still nearly 50 weeks a year we have a nice ocean breeze keeping bugs completely away from our ocean front property. Mosquitoes are everywhere in the Caribbean and tropical world where there is nature left. Experienced travelers know that they only swarm and bit starting at dusk and no more than for 2 hours. The rest of the day you are completely safe and specifically during daylight.

Belize and Ambergris Caye might not be the ideal destination for "All Inclusive" travelers and families with kids. Yes, Cancun and other well know Mexican destinations are less pricy than individual travel destinations and more attractive for families.

Ambergris Caye is indeed a quite unique paradise for individual travelers trying to avoid such mass tourism. We are very happy to live without the services of the US corporate world, mega resorts and US chain stores. Most of our island's guests specifically come here for such an escape and change.

Our island has amongst the highest electricity prices on the entire continent, from Alaska to Argentina at a rate of about 5 times of the average US electricity pricing. Therefore it is very common at hotels, resorts and vacation rentals that costly ACs are turned down/off while guests are out on an all day trip. Besides the costs, some saving of energy will not hurt the environment.

Thank you for your kind attention.
Wolfgang
Debora S
Rogers City, Michigan
“Beautiful Ambergris Caye”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

We just returned from a 10 day vacation to Villa Casa Buena Vista in Ambergris Caye. This was our second stay at the Villa and enjoyed it as much as our first visit 2 years ago. The property description is every bit what is advertised and more. We stayed in the 2 bedroom, beach front unit with another couple as before and once again were not disappointed. We arrived via Island Ferry this trip, which was new since our last trip. The ferry service was waiting for us at the airport in Belize City. They transported us and our bags from the airport to the water ferry and we left immediately for the ~50 minute boat ride that delivered us directly to the dock at the villa. We'd arranged for round trip service so on our day of departure, Island Ferry picked us up at the dock and delivered us to the airport in Belize City. We were extremely happy as the boat ride was enjoyable and very hassle-free! Because we'd stayed at Casa Buena Vista previously, we did not participate in the island tour with Wolfgang, however, he did arrange for our golf cart to be delivered the day we arrived. As before, Wolfgang was a wonderful host and his exceptional staff, Eldon and Merta were always friendly, courteous and accommodating. Eldon keeps the grounds looking great and is available and always willing to look after any need you might have. Merta came into the villa 2 times during our stay to clean, change the bedding, put out fresh towels and even washed some of our laundry, all with a friendly word and smile! We enjoy the beach, sun and snorkeling and have had great experiences with Suya tours located just down the beach from the villa. They have a wide variety of tours, however, we only took advantage of their snorkeling tours. The guides are the best, taking time to point out all varieties of fish, coral and other sea life. We saw all sorts of fish, sharks, rays, conch, turtles, etc. and were always treated very well by the Suya guides. We returned to Ambergris Caye for several reasons. Not only do we enjoy Casa Buena Vista, Wolfgang and his staff, we love having a beach to ourselves, always having beach chairs at our disposal, floating chairs for the ocean, the the peace and quiet to enjoy the sun, beach and ocean and snorkeling. Additionally, we have fun shopping where the locals shop, buying fruits and vegetables daily and purchasing fresh baked goods every morning - loved the warm cinnamon rolls for breakfast. It was fun to jump in the golf cart and explore the island. We could be busy when we wanted to but also had the luxury of peace and quiet with a good book on the beach. I'm certain this will not be our last trip to Villa Casa Buena Vista!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The friendly, laid-back feel of the island.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Iowa
Reviewed 7 March 2014 for a stay in February 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing