“Very poor management and customer service.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambergris Lake Villas

Ambergris Lake Villas
Ranked #10 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“Very poor management and customer service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Lake Villas for 5 nights in A3 nice furnished 2 bedroom apt. Clean, nice view from the balcony. What made us uncomfortable it are bed sheets and towels. Sheet in master bedroom had holes and stains. New sheets were given to us on 3rd day and they weren’t perfect. Towels are old and almost all of them had yellow stains or nail polish stains. One more. Based on agreement someone should meet us in airport. We sent emails to the management 2 days before arrival and we did not get any response to our emails. Then we called them before arrival and get confirmation that someone will be in airport, but no one meet us. After waiting in airport for 20 min we found phone and call to management. Someone whom I talked to was very surprise that we arrived already and waiting. We got a taxi and came to apartment. We weren’t happy with a management at all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RussianTurist64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Belize City, Belize
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had stayed at this resort twice before and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, however, it seems that it is now under new management and I was totally disappointed this time around. My family had booked a three bedroom condo for our 2 night stay with another family. For starters the prices went north whilst the level of service went south.

The problems began upon my arrival as there was nobody at the "office" to check us in so I had to wait in a golf cart with my wife, 4 year old and 6 month old. After waiting for a while we called our friend who had made the reservations who in turn had to call (or e-mail I am uncertain) someone to come and attend to us. As we were about to leave for the shelter of a nearby restaurant a friendly young lady came up in a taxi, opened the office, and proceeded to check us in. After we were ushered to the rooms she gave us her mobile number and indicated that she was not on site so if we needed anything we would have to call her cell and ask for assistance. I got the distinct impression that she was working primarily at another location and Ambergris Lake was more of a "as and when the need arises" situation.

We quickly discovered that there was no remote for the AC in one of the rooms but when we called the young lady for assistance she indicated that she was unable to come back to Ambergris Lake for a couple hours. We figured this was no big deal and could be overlooked so one of our party climbed on top of a cabinet to reach the AC in order to turn it on manually. The problem was that the remote never appeared for the next 2 days so the AC had to remain at full blast at a uncomfortably low temperature. Next we discovered that the soap in the bathrooms were dried and broken up into many pieces as if they had been around for ages. The rooms and beds were dusty and the tub in the master bedroom was filthy. One of my sojourns to turn the AC off revealed that the filters were caked in dust as if it had not been serviced for many months.Toilet paper, like quality service, was a no show.

We wanted to relax by the pool but the only way to do so would have been to sit in the blistering sun as there were no umbrellas on the compound. I know this because we called to ask for them when we didn't see any. For those sunbathers who may balk at my last comment I will remind you that I had my 6 month old with me so lounging around the pool with her was impossible.

To top it all off, at the end of the trip there was a need for us to stay in the room a couple hours later than checkout. We called and requested this and were willing to pay the costs of doing so. Despite the fact that there was no other booking for the unit our request was denied and we were all told to leave. Ironically, I am pretty sure that if we had just stayed nobody would have noticed.

In summary I am never staying at Ambergris Lake Villas again and would discourage anybody from doing so!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zugulu
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Ambergris Lake Villas is now under the management of Shoreline Solutions Belize, the grounds are looking great, the pool is maintained daily, the onsite office is opening shortly and security is out and about doing a great job.

Maid service is included in the rental price, golf cart rental, bicycle rental, tours, excursions, local cell phone rentals can all be arranged from the office.
All condominiums have fully equipped kitchens, dining & living area, 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms, and balconies with a view of the pool, all include; Cable TV, Wireless Internet, Extra bed linen and towels etc.

This complex is not beachfront, but the modern and elegant condominium vacation rentals are just steps from the Caribbean Sea, with breathtaking views of the Belize Barrier Reef, located a short mile from the hustle & bustle of San Pedro Town on the tropical island paradise of Ambergris Caye. Ambergris Lake Villas is your tropical home away from home.

Located steps to the Mar de Tumbo beach (one of the best beaches on Ambergris Caye), Ambergris Lake Villas is an ideal choice for families or couples looking for their own piece of paradise.

Definitely a place to put at the top of your short list….

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mustgetoutmore
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

The space and units are lovely. I was told that they were anticipating a management change which will resolve any issues we had. First of all, all of the staff with the exception of the cranky front desk girl and Milo were top notch. Unfortunately, I witnessed a grown man, have a boyish temper tantrum, yelling and me (the customer). We had initially reserved a unit with a bath tub (for health reasons). Very close to the departure date, we were notified that they made a mistake and did not have a unit with a tub for the first week. We agreed to manage as our flights were booked and our vacation was planned. We were told that we would have a king size bed. We didn't but it gets better than that! Milo sent someone out to buy a new KING SIZE bed and came back with the exact size (queen size) bed that we already had. I even went as far as printing out the measurements from online to prove to him that he bought another queen size bed because he argued with me.. Milo yelled at me insisting that he can do nothing to make me happy. He chose an opportunity to unleash when I was alone, stuck in his office in the middle of a sudden rain storm. I would call this bully tactics and not acceptable. I was in tears on a holiday listening to some large man scream at me. Not a good feeling! We didn't need much. We simply wanted at least some of the things we were promised and certainly not to be argued with. We enjoyed everything else about our stay. The units are lovely the staff are amazing. Clearly, the Hospitality Industry is not this man's forte so the simple solution would and hopefully is a management change. If that were to be the case, I would say the places are PERFECT!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BelizeloverCanada
Wood Dale, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from staying at Ambergris Lake Villas for a week. Each unit is individually owned and managed by the on site staff so they are all decorated differently and may have some different amenities. We stayed in A3 which is a 2br 2ba unit with a beautiful full modern kitchen. The refrigerator was pre stocked with sodas ($1.50), beer ($3.00) and water ($1.00) which was very convenient. This unit was nicely decorated and had a cozy island feel to it with beautiful wood work, ceiling fans and air conditioning. The place was very clean and it had a wonderful balcony for sitting and reading. One negative was that there were no blinds and the curtains were thin lace that provided little in the way of privacy, especially at night. Hopefully the owner will take care of this soon.

This place was an outstanding value. It was $99 + tax ($108 with tax) for one bedroom but when we arrived the other bedroom was unlocked which gave us a little extra room to store our suitcases. The price includes daily maid service and they offer free rides into town and pick up for return. They also have bikes on the property which they rented for $5BZ ($2.50USD) per day. They were not in great shape but they got us to and from town each day and the price couldn't be beat. Laundry service was available for $5 per load. The maid picked up the laundry when she cleaned the room and it was returned later that evening. We really appreciated not having to pack as many clothes.

There was no phone in the room so we usually went down to the office when I had to call our dive shop. We found out on the last day that they had prepaid cell phones in the office that we could use - just pay for the minutes. So you may want to ask about that when you arrive. The room had a newer HD TV with cable and HBO. There was an x-box and some kids games and a few books for anyone looking for something to read. We didn't watch much television or play video games but I was able to watch the videos from our dive trips using the USB port on the x-box. Another suggestion for the owner would be to put together a notebook with instructions and information such as the TV channels, menus from some restaurants, recommended tour operators, grocery store locations, info about availability of bicycles and prepaid phones, etc. It's a small point but that has been helpful at other villas we have stayed it. By the way, there is a very modern well stocked grocery store by the airport on the way into town and several small local groceries even closer to the villas.

Ambergris Lake Villas has a very nice pool area right on Lake Ambergris. Before we arrived I was somewhat concerned that the lake might be a little swampy and attract mosquitoes but it was actually a very nice peaceful lake and we never used the bug spray we brought. It was pretty windy while we were there so that might have something to do with the lack of mosquitoes. By the way, some locals told us that it is always very windy from the last week of February through march. We missed a few dive days due to rough seas because of the winds so that would have been good to know.

The cons: 1.) as some other reviewers mentioned there is a lot next door which has an old shed and some junk laying around. It looked about like any American redneck's back yard with cars up on blocks, etc. A few well placed trees would have helped hide the mess. 2.) the walls and ceilings were pretty thin. We joked throughout our stay that there must be Irish folk dancers staying upstairs from us. It also sounded like they frequently rearranged the furniture. We thought maybe this was a feng shui thing or something. Tile floors don't do much to dampen the noise either. 3.) The place is not easy walking distance from town. We did walk it a couple times but wouldn't want to do it several times a day though. The bikes and free rides into town made up for this though. A cab ride was about $10 BZ ($5 USD). 4.) As mentioned before this unit lacked blinds and had only very thin curtains that didn't offer a lot of privacy. Other villas appeared to have blinds or heavier curtains. While the place is not absolutely perfect it was a wonderful place to spend our vacation and it was a great value for the dollar. I have paid more to spend the night at a Holiday Inn in Indiana than we did to stay in this charming island get away.

Room Tip: We stayed in unit A3 and were very happy with it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I have been going to Belize for almost 20 years. We used to stay elsewhere, but no more. Ever since we found Ambergris Lakes we won't stay anywhere else.The condos are immaculate and well appointed. The staff is extremely friendly and easy going. If you need a ride into or to be picked up from town, they are always willing to accommodate. If you need extra towels, soap, shampoo etc.. you just have to ask or leave a note. The rooms are cleaned daily, floors mopped and even tho you are in a condo your dishes get done. The pool is always sparkling and warm, plus there are no restricted hrs on its use. You can swim all night if you want to. There's at least 3 small grocery stores within a short walking distance and they open early in case you forgot something for breakfast. The views from the 2nd floor are beautiful, but even on the 1st floor you look out to the pool and the lake, very peaceful and relaxing.If you want to grill something, there's a movable grill for use, so you can put it right outside of your condo, just like at home. Table and chairs on every porch or balcony to enjoy your morning coffe.
Milo can answer all your questions about San Pedro and point you to all the right people if further information is desired. He is afterall, a San Pedrano and there isn't anyone or anything he doesn't know. And he is always willing to help. Nope, we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Why would you?

Room Tip: All room face the sea or lake.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Perth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at Ambergris lake Villas over Christmas for 6 nights. We had a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom condo. Gorgeous patio on the upper floor overlooking the water, the lake and the pool. Condo was great. The villas, the pool, the property are extremely well maintained. We used the pool a lot after coming home from various outings. The condo is a very short walk away from the beach and the dock where you can get picked up for snorkelling, diving or other trips We used the bicycles at the condo a lot to go both north and south on the island. We walked into town everyday, sometimes along the road but more often along the beach. I can't say enough good things about Milo and all of his staff. The airlines lost a bag for one of the members of our group and Milo and his staff helped out tremendously in tracking it down by phoning the local airline contacts multiple times each day until it finally got to San Pedro airport and then they drove us to pick it up. I would highly recommend the condos for anyone who is looking for a very nice place to stay with lots more room and comfort than your average hotel room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family