“Great all day beach BBQ and snorkel trip!”
Review of Suya Tours

Suya Tours
Ranked #30 of 77 Tours in San Pedro
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We had an amazing tour with Suya! They picked us up on the closest dock to our guesthouse and were right on time. Divinio, Cincho and Jorge were awesome guides! Our group of ten plus guides went to two different spots at Punta Azul for our first two snorkels. We saw an abundance of fish and coral. The waves were pretty big, but we were off on our own. The gear provided to us by Suya fit great and was good quality. The drinks, including Belikin, sodas, and water were plentiful!

Our guides fished for us while we snorkeled, and when they had enough for all of us and we were ready we headed north to the private beach where they prepared our beach BBQ and rum punch - yum! They chopped us fresh coconut for appetizers, then for lunch we had snapper, lobster and conch with cooked veggies, coconut rice, grilled potatoes, cole slaw, and tortillas. For dessert they grilled fresh coconut and dusted it with cinnamon and sugar - so good! Everything was delicious.

After some rest in the hammocks, we finished off our day at Mexico rocks where we saw nurse sharks, a reef shark, different stingrays, and lots of fish. There was a turtle sighting, but I didn't see it. Once back onboard we were all having so much fun we convinced the guides to make a stop at the Palapa bar so we could all enjoy one more drink together. It was a blast!

We will definitely go with Suya again. The price was reasonable and experience was beyond description, no matter how hard I tried above. The only places I could see room for improvement were 1) a little more direction from the guides for a first time snorkeler, I learned more from the other couples than the guides, and 2) a little more interpretation/description of what we're seeing in the water. We still had an amazing time, though!

1  Thank lysstwrt

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Thanks to the Suya Tours team, special shout out to Allen and Erica, our vacation was great! We had an 8 day stay in San Pedro and did 3 trips through Suya; Lamanai, fishing and snorkeling @ Shark Ray alley!! Even through the rain we had a fantastic time on the adventures. All the guides we so knowledgeable about the island!! Also, I will say the prices seemed very reasonable to me! Thanks again, Suya Tours team!! Hope to see you all again soon :)

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Carlos and his staff are absolutely wonderful and highly professional guides and are a lot of fun! You want a day of snorkeling, a lobster lunch to die for on the beach, some rum punch, a little shark wrestling , swim with turtles, etc.? Suya Tours is your ticket to a great vacation on Ambergris Caye.

1  Thank Phil H
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We booked Suya for the Lamanai Mayan ruins tour. Allen was our tour guide and picked us up promptly at the time expected from our resort Xtan Ha, which is one of the furthest resorts in Ambergris. This tour was an all day affair, but we though well worth it. If you want a one of kind, very exotic and unique tour, choose this one.
First of all, we travelled 1.5 hrs by boat to a town called Ladyville. There, Suya provided a nice breakfast of bacon and egg sandwiches, juice and fruit. After breakfast, we were transferred to a bus. After about 15 minutes, there was a terrible sound from the engine. The a/c had given out and our tour guides called for transportation back up. We all got off the bus and got to know the others on the tour. Allen said it would take about 30 minutes for our alternate vehicles to arrive, which they did.
We then got into 2 different vehicles and were driven about another hour to the area where the river is and the river boats are kept. We went on a cloudy and rainy day, so Allen gave us raincoats to wear. We got on the boat and had a new boat captain who knew the jungle river like his backyard. I have to say both Allen and the new captain drove these boats at top speed. If you are prone to motion sickness, I would definitely take Dramamine for this tour! Allen pointed out the jungle flora, plants and animals along the way. We stopped to feed to spider monkeys fruit from the boat, which was fun. Allen is very informative and an interesting guy. After about another 1 hour boat trip, we arrived at the Lamanai park.
Allen and his crew provided us with beverages and a delicious full course lunch that was home made by one of the workers wife. It was chicken stew, rice and beans, plantains, salad, fruit, and soft drinks, water and beer.
Beware when entering the jungle, it is very hot and the humidity is stifling. The bugs, mosquitos and what ever else is there will automatically swarm around you. Suya tours did tell us to come prepared with tennis shoes, cool clothing and plenty of bug repellant. This tour may not be the best idea for someone who is heat sensitive or allergic to bug bites!! Just standing in the jungle without even walking, you will be drenched with sweat. We had to re-apply bug repellant at least 4 times in about 2 hours because the bugs are relentless!!
Allen was a great tour guide and knew all the details about the Mayan Indians and the pyramids. After viewing all the pyramids, he gave us some time to shop in the gift shops and then board the boat again for the trip back.
The total time you will be travelling to get to Lamanai is about 3.5 hrs if you are staying in Ambergris or San Pedro. The sea was rather rough due to winds and rain, so the boat ride was very bumpy, but this was beyond anyone's control.
We felt safe with Allen and his crew, as he did look out for our safety while in the boats and climbing the pyramids.
We had also booked a snorkeling tour with them to swim with manatees, but due to the rainy weather, it was cancelled.
We would definitely use Suya tours again!

1  Thank angie O
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We are actually still in Belize and I was so happy with our snorkeling tour today that I thought I must write a review. We only had a couple of days left in the trip and the last minute, I decided that we can't leave Belize without a snorkeling trip. I checked all the reviews, wrote three companies and Erica at Suya was the ONLY one that got back to me and VERY quickly. Communication was prompt and prices were very reasonable. We are here during the slow season, so at first they weren't going to be able to go out with just me, my husband and kids, but, they made a reasonable adjustment on the price for us to go on a private tour. And, quite honestly, I'm so happy it ended up being private. It was a gorgeous day and the snorkeling was absolutely beautiful! My boys are 4 and 7 and Allen, our guide was very attentive and careful with our children. He is also incredibly knowledgeable about the fish and coral, so we learned a lot about what we were looking at and pointed out things that we didn't want to miss! My only regret is that I didn't find them sooner because I wish I could have done their other tours with them.

1  Thank bmcgoo