“Athens Gate Resort-Best in San Pedro, Belize”

and 1 more site!
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I had a fabulous trip to Athens Gate Resort in San Pedro, Belize. When I flew into the airport I was taken back in times quite a few years to a much more peaceful time, people on golf carts, very few cars and everyone was so friendly. When I arrived at Athens Gate Resort by prearranged transportation by Rhonda at Athens Gate I was greeted by the ever so friendly and helpful driver Alberto. When Arriving at Athens Gate I was greeted by Mr. Joe and Rhonda, they both were so sweet and kind and let me know if there was anything at all that I needed to please let them know. They also sent me to their wonderful pool bartender to lineup any snorkel/dive trips which i did. Everything in the rooms looked brand new, the 2 building are engineered to absolute perfection and beauty!! I felt like the "King Of The Island" staying here. The furnishings were amazing and the view was even more amazing. I also lined up a dive trip through Eliazar (E) with Rico's Tuff Enough Dive Center, did my first intro to dive, it was amazing swimming alongside horse eyed jacks, enormous grouper, sea turtles nurse sharks and sting rays. Also was able to catch a few Kelly McGuire shows while on the island, he is a Belize favorite and from time to time flies in from Texas for some R and R and to do a few shows in San Pedro. Most of his music is written about San Pedro Island, Athens Gate is even mentioned in some of his songs and Ambergris Caye, all of his cd's are a must have for San Pedro visitors and troprock fans as well!!! Anyway, I will never stay anywhere except Athens Gate Resort and would recommend it to anyone that was planning a trip to San Pedro, Belize!!! Make sure you check out Mr. Joe's Lonestar Tex-Mex Cantina directly across from the resort, it is amazing food and the best Chicken Fried Texas Steak in all of Belize I assure you!! Thanks again to everyone at Athens Gate Resort, Mr Joe, Rhonda, Eliazar, John, James,Josh, Rebel and Chino for making my stay unbelievable and unforgettable, I hope to be back very soon!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 January 2012

This is our 3rd trip on the island and Athens Gate feels like home. From the moment we arrived we felt like family. Rhonda and Mr. Joe are wonderful hosts and are a wealth of information about the island. (Oh and Mr. Joe's makes a mean Texas fried Steak). The condos are beautiful and well appointed. The veranda being the favorite part. Many lazy cups of coffee in the morning and glasses of wine in the evening, nothing more beautiful. Eliazar is the "man" on property, he is a gracious host and can do man. If E can't make it happen, it can't be done, he is amazing (we miss you already El)! Last year Eliazar (at Pelican Reef their sister property) set up the most amazing excursions, but this year he out did himself. Our private catamaran trip with Tough E Nuff tours (Willie and Lewis) was the most amazing thing we have ever done! Although last years trip with Oliver was incredible, this was over the top. Snorkeling, Fishing, eating and relaxing was beyond words. Our diving experience with Rico was also amazing. Each time we arrive on this island (or in the country for that matter) we fall in love with the people on this island. They are the most amazing part of Belize. If that weren't enough, add warm beautiful waters, white sandy beaches, amazing sea life, yummy food and more than I could ever tell you. Athens Gate is perfection, the grounds, the people, the beautiful condo, if this isn't heaven for you, go somewhere else on vacation.... Leaves more room for us.

Room Tip: Upper floors have the best view, but all of them have beautiful views.
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This was our 6th trip to San Pedro. Athens Gates will forever be our destination on the Island. Our hosts, Rhonda and Joe, were so inviting and made us feel right at home. Eliazar was absolutely fabulous. Any request, from fishing trips, dive arrangements, restaurant reservations, whatever, he made it happen.
Our accommodations were by far, the best in San Pedro, and we have stayed in other very nice places. Very spacious and comfortable. Our chef (daughter) found the kitchen very well equipped for any preparation.
Every morning we woke up to beautifully manicured beaches and common areas.
Every amenity was provided for us.
A scale of 5 is really not adequate for this place. Believe every word that is written about how great it is, and then add a dream or two, and it will happen. We loved it, will return, and so will you.

Room Tip: No tips are needed. Every room has a view and the view is Magnificent!!!
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed Decemeber 14 - 21st and had an excellent vacation. The condo exceeded expectations and we have stayed at 5 star hotels in the past. The tap water was reverse osmosis and there was a full kitchen plus washer/dryer. The view was incredible. We fished and snorkeled right off the dock and caught barracuda, snapper and a crab. The restaurant across the street, Joe's Lone Star Grill, had the best Grouper meal on the island as well as the best chicken fried steak anywhere! The concierge service was stellar. All we had to do is ask "E" and he would deliver the best boats on the island. If you love fishing, we caught snapper until our hands had blisters. We enjoyed a private night snorkel with Barbar that was unbelievable. If you haven't seen a green moray eel at night with flashlights, you really should! The picnic all day excursion with Oliver and Brian was an adventure that included fishing, snorkeling and a delicious meal. Make sure you book with your room because all of the above trips helped to make this the best vacation I have ever taken (including vacations in Europe and Hawaii).
You can use the bikes and kayaks from the resort and should. We rented a golf cart and ate at some very good restaurants. Wild Mango had great small plates and excellent ceviche. Carolines was freshly prepared and one of the best places to eat.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Joe & Rhonda operate a First Class resort. The rooms and the grounds are immaculate and everyone wants to take care of your every need. If you are used to 5 star treatment but want some privacy from an overcrowed large resort this is the place. Eliszar, or "E" is the man who can hook you up for fishing, snorkeling, food or anyone or anything on the island. He knows the best tour operators and they pick you up at the dock. This is a family operation, so everyone is treated as a family member. Can't say enough about how well we were treated, they took care of everything, just gave Rhonda our flight info and she took care of everything else. Thanks for taking such great care of my family.

Room Tip: 3 bedroom condo's are right on the ocean
2  Thank Dennis3d
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Just got back last night. Couple points worth mentioning:
- The complex owners, Joe and Rhonda, were excellent hosts. I travel abroad fairly frequently and have experienced none better.
- The units themselves are top of the line everything. From the artwork to the kitchens, all premium.
- The staff. The best part of the complex. Everything written about "E" the concierge is true. This guy works magic. The support staff that works with E is great as well. Housekeeping staff was great and Johnathon was helpful and friendly.

I talked to people staying in other resorts, they did not have this same experience.

Fishing off the pier was pretty good, bring your own poles, but spend most of your time in the morning and night. Snorkeling off the pier was great, but you need to go to Hol Chan during the day and also for a night snorkel (just ask E).

This is my first review on TripAdvisor, but I felt compelled to write it based on the 'couldn't have been better experience' I had. I would not stay anywhere else, and I am contemplating having my destination wedding down there.

Ps. Have E set you up with the Oliver day trip.. with the spear fishing and private lobster cookout!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Athens Gate with another couple in late May / early June.
Upon arrival, we were met by the infamous E, who greeted us by name and brought us to the bar to get us checked in. We had booked a 2 bedroom unit, but were upgraded to a larger 3 bedroom unit because it was available.

E met our every need, from moving our luggage to the new unit to scheduling our excursions (Mayan ruins, zip lining, and fishing), to recommending restaurants. He was a wealth of knowledge, and we wound up hanging out with him by the pool for hours. The owners, Mr. Joe and his wife, Rhonda, were always on the property, and were very nice and accommodating. They own the Tex-Mex restaurant right across the street, where we ate several delicious breakfasts and dinners.

The pool was immaculate, and the beach was beautiful.

Both of our units were clean, beautifully furnished, and afforded wonderful views of the pool and beach. The 3 bedroom unit was closer to the beach, which we loved.

We caught a lot of fish on our fishing trip, which we brought over to Pelican Reef. The cook there prepared the fish for us while we hung out with the two bartenders, and had a relaxing afternoon.

After a week at Athens Gate, I was NOT ready to leave. I am looking forward to going back, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple