All reviews loved athens golf cart lone star grill black orchid ambergris caye pelican reef bedroom unit flights of stairs miles south of san pedro fish pool bar granite countertops the security guard in town washer and dryer nice kitchen perfect place to stay
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Two weeks at Athens Gate Villas with wonderful friends went by pretty fast ! I had my Birthday In Belize concert/party there on the beach under a tent and it was the best one I've had in Belize! Joe & Eleazar set it up beautifully complete with a riser stage, tables & chairs and a full moon ! Big E at the bar knows everyone on the island that needs knowin and set us up with great snorkle & dive trips with pickup at the dock there..and also a visit to the Mayan Ruins... "2012 doesn't worry me..." (from my song "King of the Island"). Hanging out on their beach or pier or around the pool bar was perfectly relaxing.

PLUS.. walking across the street to 'eat at Joes' in the new LONE STAR CANTINA was a special treat. everything I tried off the menu I would and did order again ! Looking forward to next visit ! - Kelly McGuire , Redfish Island Records, www.redfishisland.com

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 467kelly
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My family stayed there for two weeks in January 2012 and enjoyed the condos immensely. We did NOT want to leave! It was beautifully decorated and had everything. Elizar, the guy who works there, was wonderful. We enjoyed chatting with him. He is very accommodating and friendly. The condo area was always kept clean. We enjoyed using the pier for snorkeling and swimming. We will recommend this to other friends if they plan a trip to Belize!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I had a fabulous trip to Athens Gate Resort in San Pedro, Belize. When I flew into the airport I was taken back in times quite a few years to a much more peaceful time, people on golf carts, very few cars and everyone was so friendly. When I arrived at Athens Gate Resort by prearranged transportation by Rhonda at Athens Gate I was greeted by the ever so friendly and helpful driver Alberto. When Arriving at Athens Gate I was greeted by Mr. Joe and Rhonda, they both were so sweet and kind and let me know if there was anything at all that I needed to please let them know. They also sent me to their wonderful pool bartender to lineup any snorkel/dive trips which i did. Everything in the rooms looked brand new, the 2 building are engineered to absolute perfection and beauty!! I felt like the "King Of The Island" staying here. The furnishings were amazing and the view was even more amazing. I also lined up a dive trip through Eliazar (E) with Rico's Tuff Enough Dive Center, did my first intro to dive, it was amazing swimming alongside horse eyed jacks, enormous grouper, sea turtles nurse sharks and sting rays. Also was able to catch a few Kelly McGuire shows while on the island, he is a Belize favorite and from time to time flies in from Texas for some R and R and to do a few shows in San Pedro. Most of his music is written about San Pedro Island, Athens Gate is even mentioned in some of his songs and Ambergris Caye, all of his cd's are a must have for San Pedro visitors and troprock fans as well!!! Anyway, I will never stay anywhere except Athens Gate Resort and would recommend it to anyone that was planning a trip to San Pedro, Belize!!! Make sure you check out Mr. Joe's Lonestar Tex-Mex Cantina directly across from the resort, it is amazing food and the best Chicken Fried Texas Steak in all of Belize I assure you!! Thanks again to everyone at Athens Gate Resort, Mr Joe, Rhonda, Eliazar, John, James,Josh, Rebel and Chino for making my stay unbelievable and unforgettable, I hope to be back very soon!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This is our 3rd trip on the island and Athens Gate feels like home. From the moment we arrived we felt like family. Rhonda and Mr. Joe are wonderful hosts and are a wealth of information about the island. (Oh and Mr. Joe's makes a mean Texas fried Steak). The condos are beautiful and well appointed. The veranda being the favorite part. Many lazy cups of coffee in the morning and glasses of wine in the evening, nothing more beautiful. Eliazar is the "man" on property, he is a gracious host and can do man. If E can't make it happen, it can't be done, he is amazing (we miss you already El)! Last year Eliazar (at Pelican Reef their sister property) set up the most amazing excursions, but this year he out did himself. Our private catamaran trip with Tough E Nuff tours (Willie and Lewis) was the most amazing thing we have ever done! Although last years trip with Oliver was incredible, this was over the top. Snorkeling, Fishing, eating and relaxing was beyond words. Our diving experience with Rico was also amazing. Each time we arrive on this island (or in the country for that matter) we fall in love with the people on this island. They are the most amazing part of Belize. If that weren't enough, add warm beautiful waters, white sandy beaches, amazing sea life, yummy food and more than I could ever tell you. Athens Gate is perfection, the grounds, the people, the beautiful condo, if this isn't heaven for you, go somewhere else on vacation.... Leaves more room for us.

Room Tip: Upper floors have the best view, but all of them have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This was our 6th trip to San Pedro. Athens Gates will forever be our destination on the Island. Our hosts, Rhonda and Joe, were so inviting and made us feel right at home. Eliazar was absolutely fabulous. Any request, from fishing trips, dive arrangements, restaurant reservations, whatever, he made it happen.
Our accommodations were by far, the best in San Pedro, and we have stayed in other very nice places. Very spacious and comfortable. Our chef (daughter) found the kitchen very well equipped for any preparation.
Every morning we woke up to beautifully manicured beaches and common areas.
Every amenity was provided for us.
A scale of 5 is really not adequate for this place. Believe every word that is written about how great it is, and then add a dream or two, and it will happen. We loved it, will return, and so will you.

Room Tip: No tips are needed. Every room has a view and the view is Magnificent!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family