“Athens Gate is the best in SanPedro”

and 1 more site!
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I along with my sister there were 6 of us who stayed in a 3 BR condo facing the ocean. From the time we arrived at the airport all of our needs were taken care of. Our flight from Belize City was arranged by Rhonda who owns Athens Gate along with her husband Joe. Rhonda and Joe (who were from Texas and moved to this beautiful island). are both very nice and seem to enjoy making your trip to their beautiful resort and Ambergris Caye special. Elizar ( all call him "E") who has his office in the swimup bar is the go to guy for any and everything we needed. When we first got there I told him we had left a bag in Belize City. By mid morning the next day my bag was placed up on the bar by "E" fully intact. Everything he took care of for us seemed so effortless to him but was so awesome to us. From arranging for our golf cart which we had in about 15 minites to making suggestions for spa time and good restaraunts. He took care of it all with a sense of ease. All while smiling and mixing us drinks at the beautiful swim - up bar. the grounds were beautiful and spotlessly clean. laying on the beach at night was wonderful. It was so quiet and a wonderful coastal breeze. In the distance you could hear the waves hitting the reef out from the condos. The reef is the second largest in the world next to Australia. Our condo was beautiful and well appointed. Very nice Kitchen all SS appliances and everything you would need to make delicious meals. We basically did a little breakfast items coffee and snacks. On the hugh balcony at night you could see boats and enjoy just sitting and listening to the sea. The town of San Pedro was about a 2 and 1/2 mile trip on golf cart which was a lot of fun singing with the harmonca through the streets. great little shops and restaraunts in town to check out. We esepecially enjoyed Fidos which is a very large Bar restaraunt with good food and drinks and some awesome entertainment. Kelly McGuire and Dusty Barber were amazing and with the flamingo guitars. They just kept playing and the crowd was very pumped. One thing we were very impressed with the people who lived there were so friendly. It seemed like home and we cant wait to go back for a longer stay next time. Joe and Rhonda have some other condos just down the beach that are also very nice Pelican Reef Villas. We walked down several mornings for breakfast where we sat around the beautiful pool facing the beach. We had wonderful breakfast Ruthie and another lady took very good care of us and served us a most delicious breakfast. Ever since we came back we cannot stop thinkink about this beaultiful place with smiling faces that are all so ready and willing to make your stay something you will have fond memories and soooo...We Cant WAIT TO GO BACK!!!

Thanks again to Joe/Rhonda/Elezar and all the wonderful staff at Athens Gate!!

Room Tip: If you can get one that faces the ocean with the balcony it is so nice!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toni T

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Two weeks at Athens Gate Villas with wonderful friends went by pretty fast ! I had my Birthday In Belize concert/party there on the beach under a tent and it was the best one I've had in Belize! Joe & Eleazar set it up beautifully complete with a riser stage, tables & chairs and a full moon ! Big E at the bar knows everyone on the island that needs knowin and set us up with great snorkle & dive trips with pickup at the dock there..and also a visit to the Mayan Ruins... "2012 doesn't worry me..." (from my song "King of the Island"). Hanging out on their beach or pier or around the pool bar was perfectly relaxing.

PLUS.. walking across the street to 'eat at Joes' in the new LONE STAR CANTINA was a special treat. everything I tried off the menu I would and did order again ! Looking forward to next visit ! - Kelly McGuire , Redfish Island Records, www.redfishisland.com

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 467kelly
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My family stayed there for two weeks in January 2012 and enjoyed the condos immensely. We did NOT want to leave! It was beautifully decorated and had everything. Elizar, the guy who works there, was wonderful. We enjoyed chatting with him. He is very accommodating and friendly. The condo area was always kept clean. We enjoyed using the pier for snorkeling and swimming. We will recommend this to other friends if they plan a trip to Belize!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I had a fabulous trip to Athens Gate Resort in San Pedro, Belize. When I flew into the airport I was taken back in times quite a few years to a much more peaceful time, people on golf carts, very few cars and everyone was so friendly. When I arrived at Athens Gate Resort by prearranged transportation by Rhonda at Athens Gate I was greeted by the ever so friendly and helpful driver Alberto. When Arriving at Athens Gate I was greeted by Mr. Joe and Rhonda, they both were so sweet and kind and let me know if there was anything at all that I needed to please let them know. They also sent me to their wonderful pool bartender to lineup any snorkel/dive trips which i did. Everything in the rooms looked brand new, the 2 building are engineered to absolute perfection and beauty!! I felt like the "King Of The Island" staying here. The furnishings were amazing and the view was even more amazing. I also lined up a dive trip through Eliazar (E) with Rico's Tuff Enough Dive Center, did my first intro to dive, it was amazing swimming alongside horse eyed jacks, enormous grouper, sea turtles nurse sharks and sting rays. Also was able to catch a few Kelly McGuire shows while on the island, he is a Belize favorite and from time to time flies in from Texas for some R and R and to do a few shows in San Pedro. Most of his music is written about San Pedro Island, Athens Gate is even mentioned in some of his songs and Ambergris Caye, all of his cd's are a must have for San Pedro visitors and troprock fans as well!!! Anyway, I will never stay anywhere except Athens Gate Resort and would recommend it to anyone that was planning a trip to San Pedro, Belize!!! Make sure you check out Mr. Joe's Lonestar Tex-Mex Cantina directly across from the resort, it is amazing food and the best Chicken Fried Texas Steak in all of Belize I assure you!! Thanks again to everyone at Athens Gate Resort, Mr Joe, Rhonda, Eliazar, John, James,Josh, Rebel and Chino for making my stay unbelievable and unforgettable, I hope to be back very soon!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This is our 3rd trip on the island and Athens Gate feels like home. From the moment we arrived we felt like family. Rhonda and Mr. Joe are wonderful hosts and are a wealth of information about the island. (Oh and Mr. Joe's makes a mean Texas fried Steak). The condos are beautiful and well appointed. The veranda being the favorite part. Many lazy cups of coffee in the morning and glasses of wine in the evening, nothing more beautiful. Eliazar is the "man" on property, he is a gracious host and can do man. If E can't make it happen, it can't be done, he is amazing (we miss you already El)! Last year Eliazar (at Pelican Reef their sister property) set up the most amazing excursions, but this year he out did himself. Our private catamaran trip with Tough E Nuff tours (Willie and Lewis) was the most amazing thing we have ever done! Although last years trip with Oliver was incredible, this was over the top. Snorkeling, Fishing, eating and relaxing was beyond words. Our diving experience with Rico was also amazing. Each time we arrive on this island (or in the country for that matter) we fall in love with the people on this island. They are the most amazing part of Belize. If that weren't enough, add warm beautiful waters, white sandy beaches, amazing sea life, yummy food and more than I could ever tell you. Athens Gate is perfection, the grounds, the people, the beautiful condo, if this isn't heaven for you, go somewhere else on vacation.... Leaves more room for us.

Room Tip: Upper floors have the best view, but all of them have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This was our 6th trip to San Pedro. Athens Gates will forever be our destination on the Island. Our hosts, Rhonda and Joe, were so inviting and made us feel right at home. Eliazar was absolutely fabulous. Any request, from fishing trips, dive arrangements, restaurant reservations, whatever, he made it happen.
Our accommodations were by far, the best in San Pedro, and we have stayed in other very nice places. Very spacious and comfortable. Our chef (daughter) found the kitchen very well equipped for any preparation.
Every morning we woke up to beautifully manicured beaches and common areas.
Every amenity was provided for us.
A scale of 5 is really not adequate for this place. Believe every word that is written about how great it is, and then add a dream or two, and it will happen. We loved it, will return, and so will you.

Room Tip: No tips are needed. Every room has a view and the view is Magnificent!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed Decemeber 14 - 21st and had an excellent vacation. The condo exceeded expectations and we have stayed at 5 star hotels in the past. The tap water was reverse osmosis and there was a full kitchen plus washer/dryer. The view was incredible. We fished and snorkeled right off the dock and caught barracuda, snapper and a crab. The restaurant across the street, Joe's Lone Star Grill, had the best Grouper meal on the island as well as the best chicken fried steak anywhere! The concierge service was stellar. All we had to do is ask "E" and he would deliver the best boats on the island. If you love fishing, we caught snapper until our hands had blisters. We enjoyed a private night snorkel with Barbar that was unbelievable. If you haven't seen a green moray eel at night with flashlights, you really should! The picnic all day excursion with Oliver and Brian was an adventure that included fishing, snorkeling and a delicious meal. Make sure you book with your room because all of the above trips helped to make this the best vacation I have ever taken (including vacations in Europe and Hawaii).
You can use the bikes and kayaks from the resort and should. We rented a golf cart and ate at some very good restaurants. Wild Mango had great small plates and excellent ceviche. Carolines was freshly prepared and one of the best places to eat.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple