“Perfect in every way”

and 1 more site!
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Beautiful, well appointed condos that seem brand new with all the amenities of home. Pool, patio, bar, and beach areas are also spotless and perfect for lounging the day away. Pull up a stool at the bar, update your Facebook status with their WiFi, look out over the pristine sand and turquoise water, and get to know the staff and visitors over a cold drink. Elizar and James anticipated our every need and even made all our reservations from dinner to snorkeling. The owners were in residence during our visit and were very friendly and helpful. Upon meeting other island visitors, we were told over and over how lucky we were to be able to stay at Athens Gate (compared to their resorts). I couldn't agree more... I am so glad we stayed here - we left feeling like very treasured friends. Rent a golf cart from them to take easy trips into town. I can't say enough about the amazing week we spent at Athens Gate. When we return to San Pedro, we will never stay anywhere else.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Athens Gate Beach Resort

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We live in San Diego. This is our return trip to Belize. We came a couple years ago (also during July) and stayed at Pelican Reef Villas, which was amazing; I have to say it is a hard choice between the 2 properties. Our stay at Pelican was our first experience, Lori the manager, gave me so much information from the first phone call and everything she said was dead on. The things that I think people do not realize looking at retouched pictures and clever angles are things like the beach. Most properties North of Pelican and Athens Gate have a seawall and although the sand is beautiful you cannot access the water by just walking into it. There is very little foot traffic on your beach compared to others, as it is not a thoroughfare like they are in the middle of San Pedro. When you sit on the beach with a cup of coffee early in the morning you really get to experience paradise, it is so quiet and peaceful. The staff checks on you literally every time you glance in their direction. The amazing part is that they treat you the same whether you walk up to the bar with a beer from your fridge or a beer from theirs. They just don't act like they are trying to sell you something they act like they are trying to fulfill your every need. They will help to book activities and although it is probably slightly more expensive than booking your own, they use top-notch tour operators and lets face it do you really want to take a chance that you picked the right one? "E" and James could both work at the Ritz Carlton and be customer service employees of the month, but I'm glad they work here. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ON the beach at Pelican and a 3 bedroom ON the beach at Athens Gate, Amazing rooms, very modern, very home-like. Here is some of my Belize advice...Spend at least one day in the pool swimming laps up to the swim-up bar. Jump off the pier and swim at night, Spend one day with Oliver for the beach BBQ (this is the absolute best day, and that includes ALL of the trips we did in 14 days of hard vacationing), Get up early even if you don't get up early, you are not invincible put on sunscreen and bug spray, Take a whole day and a golf cart and resort hop as far north as Portofino (make sure you stop at Palapa Bar). This time when we went we really paid attention to the top 20 properties on the island listed on Trip Advisor in case we found something better for next time; and hands down I don't think you will find a better location coupled with a better property and a better experience. My suggestion to you is stay at Athens Gate if this is you first trip, you definitely wont be disappointed and i doubt you will move for your second trip, you can't go wrong at Pelican Reef either. This will be a yearly destination for us and i have nothing but great memories.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Seoul2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

We spent half of our trip at another property in Ambergris Caye. We are so happy we decided to spend the last half here at Athens Gate!
The property is located in a very quiet part of the island and offers the peaceful, beautiful atmosphere we were seeking.
E and James met us with a rum punch and were very attentive to our needs.
As we were lying by the pool, the owner, Joe and his wife stopped by and said hello.
They are fellow Texans and so very friendly.
The 2/2 rooms here are approx 1800 sqft and have everything you could ever need.
We left five beautiful (and noisy) kids at home and were looking for relaxation and we sure found it here! I'm lounging by the pool right now, posting this and recommending this property to friends :)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I reviewed Athens Gate last year after our first stay here and our second visit was even better than the first. I'm a bit inclined not to write such a spectacular view because I'd hate for Athens Gate to become a huge tourist attraction, but that wouldn't be right. I like the fact that I feel like this is a hidden gem in San Pedro. I want to keep this piece of paradise a secret!

I'll keep this review as short and sweet as possible. We stayed at Athens Gate for 11 nights and had the pleasure to stay in both a two bedroom and a three bedroom condo. E greeted us when we arrived and had our luggage sent up to our room (top floor). Unit 12 (in my opinion) has the best view. You can see the beautiful ocean from the balcony and also when you're inside the condo.

Check-in was speedy. E promptly gave us our welcome beverage (rum punch or E and James' favorite: Light House). I've had a lot of rum punches in my time and Athens Gate's rum punch is a force to be reckoned with.

Four of us stayed in a two bedroom condo for five days, then switched over to a three bedroom when the rest of our group (12 people total) came in five days later. The two bedroom condo is really spacious and everything is top of the line.

E and James' attention to details is fantastic. Any time you needed a drink/wanted to book an excursion/needed a suggestion, they were here to help. E even went above and beyond when our friends who were staying at another hotel for a few days lost their luggage and E offered to help them track down their luggage.

The accommodations were fantastic. The pool is wonderful and the view from the condo, as well as from the pool and beach is unparalleled.

I do have to say that the two bedroom condos are much more spacious than the three bedroom. The three bedroom condos still have the top of the line appliances/granite countertops/etc., just seems smaller (since you don't have the third bedroom, you have more common area space).
The great thing about being on vacation is you don't really spend that much time in the room, especially with having such a wonderful beach and pool area right outside your door.

Without the personalized service from James and E, I don't think we would have had as wonderful time as we did. We had a group of 12 here at Athens Gate for the remaining five nights of our trip. E and James made the process of booking a catamaran for our group painless. They were always quick to help.

Pros: The view, accommodations, service (E and James), the list goes on and on.

Cons: We didn't get to spend enough time in Belize. It's so beautiful here.

Tips: Bring bug spray. It's not Athens Gate's fault, but the mosquitos are horrible here. Two bottles of bug spray for a 10 day trip didn't seem to be enough. Bring bug spray from the US, it's sure to be cheaper than bug spray on the island. If you're looking for a great place to eat, that's close by, be sure to try Lone Star Grill and Cantina. Food and service is wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was one of the best vacations I have had in such a long time. Belize- Ambergris Caye and the surrounding islands were so beautiful. I can see why it is voted #1. I was traveling with one of girl on a girls getaway from the busy cities and chillax and go on little adventures.

Athens Gate was the best place on the island in my opinion, as far as resorts. The property is very new and well kept grounds. I loved the view with the docks running out to the ocean with huts and Athens Gate has these huge pilars and a lighthouse-- well it's really bathrooms. It was a boutique spot and lovely.

The staff 'E' and James were awesome. Even the little dog J-Lo, she was my dog away from home.

I highly recommend this hotel/resort. They have everything, we went kayaking and we rented a golf cart for the week and rode to town.

The only complaints I have were the mosquitoes were out of control at night---pretty much all over outside of town. And we didn't realize how close the jungle was and never made it there...

I want to go back all the time and I wish I lived here... it was so sad leaving. Such a memorable experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tara B
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I recently visited Athens gate and immediatly fell in love. It is a very nice secluded area that made me feel like I could just wind down and relax. The service by the staff was excellent. The two staff member that we interacted with the most. James and E, were very nice friendly people and made me feel like I fit right in. The rooms are very spacious and are spotless. The view from the balcony was incredible. Although you cannot just walk into the ocean from the beach, there is a small peir that goes far enough out for you to jump right in. It is great for both families and couples. It truly was a lovley experiance. I would go back in a second!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gabby S
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were totally overwhelmed by the personal service and attention given to each and every guest.
"E. the manager magically appeared to welcome at our arriving taxi of travel weary family of six and whisked us immediately into a carefree vacation mode. The resort is beautiful and impeccable. E. and his copilot James always had a pulse on our diving outings and made sure everything went off seamlessly. The swimming at the resort beach and dock also included an array of sea life including a baby octopus, eel, huge angel fish and other amazing things.
Our family which consisted of a teenage daughter and others in their young twenties and cannot wait to come back and are already trying to figure out a date. The food recommendations from staff were incredible and we were never steered wrong. After a long day of diving this resort was a welcoming place to come back to. Although there were many guests the resort did not feel crowded or overwhelmed but actually personalized.

Room Tip: The views are all incredible...but we stayed on third floor and loved the view from our huge balcony...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family