“Athen's Gate to Heaven”

and 1 more site!
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Starting out at the beginning. Lori was a pleasure to work with regarding the booking of two rooms. 3 couples in one and two in the other. She was always quick to respond to questions and handled everything with professionalism. Upon arrival at airport we were greeted by Carlos. They had 3 vans ready to take us to the condo. E met us as we pulled up. He let us settle in to our beautiful, well decorated and clean accommodations. Then met us at the pool bar for complimentary rum punch. Yum. If you plan on eating in your condo expect to go to at least 2 possibly 3 stores. Mermaid Market and Green house were our best bets. Mermaid is on the way to condo. Green is in the middle of town. Worth the drive, best prices on produce. The island is very expensive for provisions. Don't forget to get napkins or paper towels. The condo doesn't stock any. Also, we had only salt and pepper for seasonings. Just fyi.
I bought fish and shrimp from Fishman Johnson (E has his number) for a bbq one night. Javier (grounds keeper) and E got the grill going for us and were a wonderful help. The Lone Star restaurant across the street has fantastic drinks and good food. The Sulpata's were the best. On appetizer menu (open faced taco's). Best dinner we had on Island was at Blue water. Across from Tropic Air. AWESOME food. Black Orchid, close to condo, was also very good.
We always felt safe with Luis on patrol from 7-7. He is very friendly and genuinely likes his job. He kicked my butt at a game of Gin Rummy.
As other posts have mentioned, E will assist with any reservation you need. Excursion or restaurant. I don't have any criticism for staff. ALL friendly and helpfull.
My criticism for future visits would be wi-fi in rooms (it is just by pool), a way to communicate between condo's (phones in rooms?), some basic cooking spices would be helpful, maybe a way to get groceries and necessities delivered to condo upon arrival. E and I talked about these and I know they are discussing some options. Will look forward to see if they get some fun stuff for the next time we can visit! :)
I would recommend confirming prices of pre-planned excursions upon arrival. I had a misunderstanding about the price of my referral dive course. I was understood it to be $250, online at Athen's Gate it states $280, online through Amigos Del Mar lists $285. I was charged $300. Before taxes. It was an extra $65 I hadn't planned on. Not the end of the world, but not how I wanted to end my trip. Athen's gets an invoice from the company for you to pay at the end of your stay. I can't shoot the messenger, but I was mad at myself for not confirming.
Oh, Lester, the bartender makes the best Coconut Mojito! With mint grown right there at the condo!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Blondebetty7
There are newer reviews for Athens Gate Beach Resort

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Athen's Gate is a wonderful place to stay in Ambergris Caye. The staff is exceptional (especially E.), the rooms are gorgeous, the setting is pristine. E. will help you arrange any day trips/excursions and will meet your every need. The area is safe and quiet and just a short golf cart ride away from town. This is a place we would return to as we enjoyed our stay so much!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CassieJ95
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I've already submitted a review but cannot find it. In any case, Athen's Gate is worth reviewing twice. The room was hands down the most beautiful room I've stayed in. The woodwork and decor are in excellent taste.
The customer service is second to none. Lori was so helpful with the reservation and the island hop flight and Eliazar "E" provided that sense of security and handled any type of reservation you could imagine and you knew it was handled. There was an episode on House Hunters International the other day that showed Grand Caribe (my original choice until I found Athen's Gate) and two other locations that were over priced and lacked the sleek, beauty of our condo here. If I were to buy in Belize, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase at Athen's Gate.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We enjoyed absolutely everything about Athens Gate. The staff, and especially "E" make it all so easy for you. It really is a no stress holiday. There are restaurants nearby and going in to town in the golf cart is fun and easy if you want more variety. We had a 3 bedroom condo and it was beautiful and well appointed - the kitchen has everything you could need if you choose to eat at the resort. The grocery stores are expensive and the one we used did not have everything we had hoped to find, but the baker across the street had wonderful things! The Caye Coffee is one of the best we've tried and we enjoyed that every morning on our own balcony overlooking the beach. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Athens Gate is an exceptional Resort! My husband & I visit there every year we go to ambergris Caye! We always have to go to the lighthouse bar &. Visit with Eliazar, (best bartender) who can meet any drink to perfection!! Eliazar can arrange any trip you would like to do: snorkeling, diving, ruins, or tubing!!! The resort is right on the water and had sunrises!! The pool is perfect, condos absolutely beautiful!! We just love this resort!!

Room Tip: All are GREAT!!!none are different furnished same, 1st class resort!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ANNIE0118
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We loved the whole experience at Athens Gate. We could not get a room at The Athens Gate for our first night on Ambergris Caye and were forced to stay at another hotel down the road. It was horrible, broken screens on the windows, bugs in the room, screaming kids in the pool. I was terrified that this was standard fare on the island. The next morning we quickly packed and arrived in paradise.

Athens Gate is exceptional . Spectacularly maintained, every convenience you could dream of with amazing views, plus staff who organized our every whim and are more like the best of family.

We stayed in top door 2 bedroom. Super modern w every convenience imaginable.

Eliazar, the manager of the property, and his right hand at the bar were so helpful w everything from organizing diving trips and, unfortunately, ear drops post dive, to best food on the island, to rum punch on the beach. I don't know what we would have done without their kindness.

We are looking forward to our next trip and hope to make it a yearly event. Can't say enough goodness about it.

Room Tip: Loved top floor for extra peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mia L
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from a week at AG - myself, my S.O. and another couple. EVERYTHING, from making the reservations all the way up to our departure, went seamlessly - an absolutely "No Stress" holiday. Even though our flight into Belize City was delayed and the other couple missed their flight so were coming in much later than expected- Tropic Air got us onto flights out to San Pedro and Carlos was waiting there to bring us to the hotel. From there, E pretty much takes care of everything! He arranged our snorkeling and fishing trips and a massage on the beach (see below for more info on activities), made us drinks in the afternoon and filled us in on all we needed to know.

We stayed in Unit #7 - a third floor 2 bedroom unit. It was gorgeous! Plenty of space for 2 couples to hang out and not feel cramped. The kitchen was big enough for us to all chip in and cook our fresh catches. The unit could use some wine glasses and a corkscrew but E will lend you some from the pool bar. The back bedroom had two twin beds when we arrived - which wasn't going to work for us, but the staff came up and bolted the frames together and remade the bed up to be a king size within a few hours of our arrival. The beds and linens were top notch!

The hotel is small (no elevators) but very serene. The views from the porches/balconies are breathtaking. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. Add this to the warm and friendly people working at Athen's Gate and you have a new home away from home!

We had a golf cart, which I would probably recommend for exploring the island - unless you really just want to stay put. There are a couple of restaurants and a mini-market within walking distance from AG and several restaurants will send a car to pick you up/bring you home. Otherwise, it's a bit of a hike on a dusty road to get to the closest end of town (and that's not really "downtown"). The roads south of town are bumpy and you have to go slow, but it wasn't all that bad. Some of the reviews had us really nervous about the roads - I think the worst roads are to the north of San Pedro.

GOLFCART WARNING: Seems like the police like to target the tourists for parking violations. We were warned about not parking in front of the red curbs. In fact, when we parked at what appeared to be a brown stripe in the cobblestone street we all agreed that it looked OK to park there, but the brown stripe was actually faded/dirty red paint and we received a $25 ticket ($12.50USD - so no biggie) BUT we talked to others who got tickets and their fines were higher so make sure you are parking at least 30' from the corners and on the same side of the street with the sidewalk and not in front of any marking that may have been red once upon a time!!

ACTIVITIES:
We did the all day sailing and snorkel trip to Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley and Caye Caulker. E arranged this for us through Tuff Enuf Tours. My guess is you may be able to get tours cheaper if you did the arrangements yourself, but pretty sure E is picking out the best companies to work with. And how nice to sit at the pool bar with a cocktail one evening and make the arrangements for all your activities for the week??

The all day Sailing/Snorkel/Caye Caulker trip was good - but not the best sailing/snorkeling excursion I've been on. Our guide on the snorkel trip did not point out different fish or explain what we were seeing in the marine reserve. He was mainly there to keep us together as a group and make sure we made it safely back to the boat. We had several older guests on our snorkel outing that needed a lot of help, so that may be why our guide didn't have much time to point things out to the rest of us. Still a bit disappointing when you see other guides explaining what fish were being seen to their groups. You do the snorkeling on your way to Caye Caulker. It felt a bit rushed, so if you really want to take your time with the snorkeling - you may be better off doing just the snorkel trip without combining in Caye Caulker trip. The captain radios ahead to order lunch at a restaurant when you are under way to Caye Caulker (you pay separately for your lunch). Lunch still took a long time to get and we only had an hour to explore Caye Caulker. Again - felt a bit rushed - if you really want to explore, I'd take a water taxi there and spend a longer time there. Overall this is a good trip if you want to see a lot in one day.

We also had E book a fishing excursion for us. This was through Tuf Enuf Tours as well. Dave was our guide for the day and even tho he had been told there would be 2 people fishing, he accommodated the 4 of us with no problem. We fished several spots in the morning. The last fishing spot we could get out and snorkel. Then Dave took us back to Shark Ray Alley. The sharks know the fishing boats and come swarming - it was really something to see. On the way to our lunch spot, we saw sea turtles and dolphins. We thought we were going to remote beach to have our fresh fish cooked for us, but ended up back at Athen's Gate, where Dave cooked our lunch on the grill there. I personally appreciated this, since there was a bathroom handy and we didn't have to worry about getting bit up while sitting on a remote beach (yes, there are biting bugs, use bug spray) - but it was different from what we expected. I'm guessing the fish were biting better on the south end of the island where there are less undeveloped beaches? Whatever the reason, it was the BEST meal we had on the island (fresh fish in homemade tortilla's Dave picked up that morning).

After lunch, we went to a spot where we could dive for conch. Ended up with enough conch to have for dinner that night and as ceviche the next day! Dave was very knowledgeable and kept up a comfortable conversation throughout the day. I would highly recommend a fishing outing with Dave from Tuf Enuf tours. He personalized the day to our interests and everyone (even me, the non-fisherperson) had a great time!

Traveling there had my back out of sorts, so had E arrange a massage for me on the AG beach. This was through Ocean Essence Spa and was very good. It was quite a bit more money than you would pay if you went downtown (at one place on the beach you could get an hour for $35 vs $85 at the hotel) but you were spared the bumpy golf cart ride before and after and could easily make the transition from the massage table to a shady chaise lounge for a long nap. It was a nice splurge and the massage therapist was very good.

This was our first trip to Belize, but it won't be our last. We were a little skeptical reading all the excellent and above average reviews for pretty much every thing in the area - could a place really be that good??? The answer is a resounding YES!

Room Tip: NO ELEVATORS! If you can't handle stairs be sure to get ground level rooms. All the rooms appe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple