We have traveled to numerous places for an ocean front vacation (i.e. Cancun, Los Cabos, Europe) and would rate Grand Caribe and Ambergris Caye our favorite. Very relaxing atmosphere. Every room has a great oceam view and extremely nice accomodations (recommend 2nd floor for the best view). The dock is incredible - nicest on the island and there are even lounge chairs there where you can spend the day.
Staff was extremely helpful for scuba diving, golf cart rental, calling the coastal express - anything we needed.
Everyone on island was extremely friendly (they obviously know they live in paradise). All spoke English (I thought several would speak spanish, but when asked they said they grew up in Belize speaking English).
If you are looking for a low risk country, English speaking, no crime recommend you visit Ambergris Caye island.
Once we were there, we looked at all the places on the island for future rental. We would rank Grand Caribe our # 1 favorite. We felt it was the best location that was close to town, but not "in town". We also looked at Cocoa Beach, Las Terrazas, but they were too far from town for us and a smaller property (everything seemed "crammed in to a small amount of land).
Food was good by the pool for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They will even make a special request is they have the items. We were told that Grand Caribe plans to build a restaurant and fitness center at some point.
Breakfast: Grand Caribe, Yoga place next door (didn't eat breakfast much)
Lunch: Wild Mangos in San Pedro, Mambos - take the coastal express since it's north of Grand Caribe or the Blue Water Grill in San Pedro.
Dinner: Mambos (will pick you up free for dinner); Blue Water Grill.
Best Burger: Legends close to Grand Caribe
Good BBQ: Lazy Croc next to Grand Caribe - open Fri/Sat/Sun only
** Go to the Palapa Bar for a drink - it's a palapa way out in water; incredible views.
Recommend: 1) Picking up beer and water on the way in from the airport if you get a taxi since there's only golf carts, bike and boats for transportation, 2) get fruit from numerous fruit stands around town, 3)Loved Amigos Del Mar for scuba diving - very professional and located at the Coastal Express.
Other recommendations: If you want to walk the beach at night take a flashlight. Very casual atmosphere - tshirt and shorts is fine anywhere at night.
Other: The coolest thing about Ambergris Caye is with the barrier reef, there are no "crashing waves". The water is incredibly beautiful and it's more like a lake since the waves aren't crashing and it's only 3-5 feet. You can snorkel right off the dock. You will see people kayaking, fishing, windsurfing, sailing etc. Just incredible. We were there for two weeks and it wasn't long enough! Recommend a boat pass for the week and renting a golf cart for a day or two. We also loved riding bikes.
There is a "golf" island that we tried to set up to play (they will fly and pick you up), but since it's for sale it was closed. Hope it opens soon!
If you like to fish (not deepwater fishing), hire a small boat and go to the west side of the island.
All said, if you're looking for a "party place" like Cancun, this is not the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The unique layout of this premier resort provides the entire 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom condos with an unobstructed panoramic view of the second largest Barrier Reef! The residences are beautifully appointed with spacious, fully equipped kitchens. The living rooms and bedrooms have flat screens and all accommodations also have ipod docking, DVD and internet service. Concierge can arrange local flights, golf cart rentals, all tours including snorkeling, diving, fishing, sailing, mainland excursions, private charters, private chefs and babysitting. Contact us for your next vacation, honeymoon or any special occasion! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums Hotel San Pedro
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums San Pedro