Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$359
US$240
El Secreto(San Pedro)
US$500
Hotels.com
SunBreeze Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$224
Mayan Princess Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$143
  • Beachfront
Banana Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$114
  • Breakfast included
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$224
  • Pool
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$149
Las Terrazas Resort(San Pedro)
US$349
  • Pool
White Sands Cove Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$145
Sapphire Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$237
Elvoline
All reviewspool barlaundry servicegolf cartbeach basketthrough vrboin townbedroom penthouserooftop restaurantwater taxilaundry donegrocery storemain poolocean viewtruck stopfitness centerfamily vacationdaily housekeeping
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The resort was nice and clean. We had the 2 bdrm/2 ba condo and it was pretty big. The view from our balcony was great, overlooked the pool and into the ocean. I liked the spacious bathroom...although I never understood why there would be a towel rack above the toilet (a little gross to me). You can't even reach it from the shower stall. The pool area was nice and big and the water temp was nice too. The food at the bar was ok...not great but ok. I would think this is one of the biggest resorts on the island with the nicest pool. I went to Las Terrazas for my diving certification and it's a nice hotel, but maybe more for couples. Very white...kind of Shore Club (in Miami) feeling. From what I could tell, most other hotel pools are small and rectangular. Grand Caribe's pool had a "resort" feel to it which I liked. I already knew the Belize beaches would be disappointing based on all the reviews I read, so I wanted a nice pool area to relax at. I'm glad I made this choice for that reason. The beach area is bad...so much seaweed. I didn't bother trying to go into the water from the beach or the dock. The hotel dock was also the nicest, or one of the nicest I saw. The staff was really nice too and I liked the free laundry service. You can just leave your dirty laundry on the floor and it'll be washed and folded when you get back.

2 things I didn't like: 1) Our bathroom products were never replaced and we had to call each time to get some extra shampoo/conditioner; and 2) The pool towels are not actually "replaced," they are washed by the cleaning staff. So if you need new towels w/o waiting for it to be washed, you have to go to the front desk each time to get new towels.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank JK_NY
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Visited 06/20 - 06/24/2012
Room D1 - 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom
It was a very nice condo. Each bedroom had a comfortable king size bed with lots of pillows and nice bathroom. Everything has been updated. The kitchen is all stainless steel GE or Cuisinart appliance. Ours even had a rice cooker and “brick oven / toaster “in it. There was plenty of room for four people and I really liked the fact that the bedrooms were on opposite sides of the condo. Each condo is decorated a little differently, depending on the owners taste. One suggestion for Grand Caribe to suggest to the condo owners is to install room darkening curtains. The sun is up by 6am everyday and the white curtains do nothing to block it. Laundry is done daily for you at no charge, which is an awesome bonus! The maids start around 8:30am or 9:00am unless otherwise told. Everyone mentioned that their bath towels smelled of mildew. Some condos came with beach towels and the majority did not, so you had to use the mildew bath towels at the pool too. Also, some condos come equipped with hair dryers and others do not. Even though toiletries are provided I found that my husband and I went through them in a day. All in all be prepared to bring your own soap, plastic cups (only glass is provided in the rooms), snacks, and plenty of bug spray. The mosquitoes are horrible everywhere on the island.

Staff
The staff of Grand Caribe is very friendly. However there were a few things that I noticed.
1) The groceries that we had ordered & confirmed with Julie prior to our arrival were not in our room. Our “original” room that we requested on the 2nd floor had been given to another couple in our group that arrived first.. Well our groceries were also in that room. Lisa quickly made it right and brought the beer and water that night. She apologized profusely and I appreciated her urgency. The rest of our groceries were delivered the next morning.

2) Depending on whom you spoke to and when at the front desk, you would get totally different answers to your questions. Our 2nd day there we ordered another case of beer and water to our room and it was no problem. However another couple in our group was told they would have to contact the grocery store directly.

3) The front desk staff doesn’t seem to be able to multi-task. We went up there to ask them three questions and eventually gave up after the first one because she seemed so overwhelmed.

Maid Staff
The maid staff is friendly and works efficiently. We asked them to come back later in the day and that was no problem. In our condo the door to the laundry room was kept locked, which wasn’t a big deal to us. However some others in our parties had unlocked laundry rooms so they could do it themselves. The only complaint is that all the kitchen towels also smelled of mildew and that the kitchen trash is the size of a bathroom trash can.

The Beach
We never hung out at the beach. It’s not really set up well for a group of people; we usually had 8 – 12 people. The water is clear but there is so much seaweed and stuff that you don’t want to swim in it.

The Pool
The pool was nice, a good temp, a good size and is cool that it has a swim up bar. We didn't visit the two smaller pools. The hot tubs weren't up and running while we were there either.

Cowboy Doug’s Bar & Grill (onsite)
The night shift bartender, Tu-ah (spelling?) was very friendly and accommodating. He can help you out with anything that you need and seems to be the owner’s (Doug) right hand man. The food is good and priced a little high but to be expected in Belize. It’s for sure a better deal to order cases of beer and water through the concierge or grocery to your room. I highly suggest the cobb salad, club sandwich and American breakfast. The bartender that I experienced during the morning and afternoon shift, Victor was not friendly and moved slow. He never had a smile on his face and it always seemed like we were bothering him. At one point, the concierge had called down to the bar to see if we were there so that they could confirm our flight from Topic Air and he actually hung up on them. The only reason I even knew someone was calling for us is because I heard him say D1. Also, room service was supposed to be until 10pm each night but when we called at 9:30pm we were told the cook had already gone home.

Concierge
Concierge was a huge help with everything. She quickly took care of ordering extra groceries, booking excursions, golf carts and booking our travel back to Belize City via Tropic Air.  Highly suggest paying the extra money to take the 20 minute puddle jumper over the 1 ½ hour water taxi ride to / from San Pedro. All the excursions, flights, and groceries can be added to your room bill.

Island
We rented a golf cart on our 2nd day for $75.00 USD per day. It was a two mile drive into town, which wasn’t bad except for the pot holes and mosquitoes. We stopped at a wine and cheese shop, a fruit stand, and a few local markets to pick up sodas and snacks. By far the nicest market was Crystals. It has the largest variety, is clean, and even smells good. The staff there is very friendly too.

Our last night in Belize was the annual Lobster Festival, which was fun. We took the Costal Express Water Taxi into town from the resort ($5 USD per person, each way). There were a ton of tents set up with different lobster dishes, drinks and novelties. My husband and I stopped in a few different bars and met up with our group at Fido’s. We stayed there for a few hours as it has the best service, music and cleanest bathrooms.

Room Tip: Avoid B8 - One bedroom. My sister and brother-in-law had it. It's not updated, has a ton of knick-knacks, and the A/C went out on them. The condo does not provide a fitness center or spa.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank BusyButt
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for your recent review. We greatly appreciate your feedback,
as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.

We have reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action
to resolve each issue.

The problem you experienced with the odor on the bath towels was due to
inadequate treatment of our laundry room cistern which we are pleased to
advise has been rectified. We recognize the inadequacy of linens and
supplies, such as hairdryers and have since developed an in room
inventory which is subsequently being followed by a purchase order to
accommodate the turnover ratio and guest uses. Additionally, we are
re-evaluating our daily housekeeping inspection processes to ensure
these type of issues do not occur in the future

We have also noted your concern about the inconsistency of the front
desk staff. We are in the process of organizing training programs for
them so as to avoid any further discordance with guests.

As for the hot tubs, replacement parts have been ordered and are
currently being shipped to us. Unfortunately the replacement parts are
not readily available in Belize and need to be shipped from abroad.
We are sorry that this transition occurred during your visit.

The Bar and Grill is leased out to a third party which limits how much
say we have in the facility however we are working with them to rectify
the situation and improve the overall service.

We greatly appreciate your recognition of our bartender and our
concierge clerk and have since posted a copy of your kudos.

The issue with seagrass being on the seafloor is currently being
addressed. Because of our proximity to the reef the seaweed forms part
of the natural eco system in the environment. While we try to keep it to
a minimum in some areas for use of our guests; it is a delicate
balancing act and we try to keep our disturbance of the environment to
as much a minimum as possible.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding black out curtains; we recognize
this is an issue and hope to have a remedy for this very soon.

We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is the best place ever! We selected the Grand Caribe as the location for our destination wedding. Our wedding party reserved a total of 4 beautiful condos and everyone was thrilled! The Grand Caribe has a wonderful and friendly staff and great security. My wife and I were married on the cool white sandy beach between two palm trees, and we could not have asked for a more beautiful setting. After the ceremony, we had a moonlight reception on the pier with family and friends. The moon was full and appeared double in size.

Our entire stay at the resort was met with an unbelievable staff, who really made us feel at home. They were incredibly helpful and accommodating in every way and have left a memorable experience in our heart's.

The Grand Caribe is only a mile or so from San Pedro and is reachable by taxi, but we decided to rent a golf cart which made our stay all the more interesting. Riding back and forth to town for supplies, groceries, souvenir's, and exploring was all the more fun. Bouncing along dirt roads in Ambergris Caye with a golf cart is reminiscent of what it must've felt like to ride a horse in the western boom towns of the USA! The island has the feeling of a small boom-town and everyday in Ambergris Caye was an adventure.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clint C
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Our group was there for 8 nights. Have stayed in a few places on Ambergris Caye. Grand Caribe so far has been the best. Very clean, very good service. They also did our laundry for free which I have never seen. The pool area is beautiful. Cowboy Doug's was great. It's small but there are areas outside to sit or you can sit in the pool at the bar to eat and/or drink. Some of the group had been there several times and some were Ambergris Caye virgins. They said they would love to return. The only downside was we were not there during lobster season. All other trips it was lobster season so we will be sure for our next trip to plan during lobster season. Has a very nice dock for the tour folks to pick you up. I highly recommend Grand Caribe for your trip to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. There are many restaurants on the island that have fabulous food. Buy your wine and hard liquor at the duty free store in Belize City. If there is a downfall to San Pedro, it is the price of bottles of hard liquor. The pictures you see on the website, honestly depict the resort. There is no crime against the visitors on Ambergris Caye and the people are extremely friendly. Do we love Ambergris Caye, YOU BETTA BELIZE IT !!!

Room Tip: You do not have to be ocean front to have a view, however if you are not, you need a 2nd or 3rd floor to have a view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 18Zonies
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed her for a week. Loved it! We are a family of six and it was a perfect size. Two full bedrooms, each with a bath. The master bedroom featured a jetted tub and seperate shower. The third bed was a pull out in the sofa. The condo had a large living area that was open to the kitchen and dinning room. We also had a patio with seating for four. Located right on the beach. Other amenities were two pools, two hot tubs, bar (including a swim up bar) and small restaurant. The only real down side is you are not near town. You can walk to town, but it takes awhile. The beach is not a swimming beach, lots of sea grass, so plan on swimming mostly in the pool. The on site restaurant was ok, but not fabulous, very basic food. Huge perk, FREE laundry service!! We would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: We were in E2 near the lobby and looking out to the pool and ocean further off, but I don't think any of the rooms here have a bad location.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family