“Great place!”

Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Whitecourt, Canada
“Great place!”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We booked this condo online going by other reviews and pictures,most were good some bad. To say the least we were not disappointed in any way, mind you both of us are very tolerable. Nicest place we have stayed in our travels so far, maybe because it is so new and clean. We had no problems with the room,all the staff was very helpful, and the pool was awesome! We did spend a lot of time at the pool as there is not much for beach,we knew that going to Belize. Beach was cleaned on a regular basis and the seagrass was not that bad. There was a couple spots off to the side of the dock that were seagrass free if you wanted to float around there. We rented a golf cart when we needed to go to town or just go for a drive. Cost for renting the golf cart I would have to say is a bit steep! Food at the pool bar was good, a bit pricey but good. We did take the time to checkout other resorts and agree that we had made a great choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building on the third floor facing the ocean which gave us a great view of the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danj1959

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Our 3/3 condo was huge, clean, well-maintained, and comfy. The housekeepers even did our laundry for us...a treat! Good pool, nice staff at the pool bar but a little pricey.

Our main gripe... Everyone gets about the island in a golf cart. And the only road between Grand Caribe and the town is in terrible condition, usually filled with deep puddles and badly rutted. Enough trips on that 1 to 1 1/2 mile road and your teeth will loosen. This is, of course, a problem shared by all resorts on the north end of the island.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tanager1
edmonton
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This property is in a great location although you may need to rent a golf cart, it is also a great walk along the beach to town (about 3/4 to hour walk) We would walk in for dinner and catch a cab home if it was too late to walk. Cabs are very reasonable. The pool area is about the best we saw while on Ambergris Caye. Beware of the chicken tacos very addictive and the swim up bar hosted many a party. fun fun . Condo it self is gorgeous with absolutely everything you need. Only down fall...no BBQ which is too bad. Housekeeping amazing they did our laundry everyday!

Room Tip: Our room was main floor with very good access to pool and balcony overlooking the ocean...perfect
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank darcitalk
Midlothian, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I cannot say enough about this resort. It is beautiful! My husband and I travelled with our 3 children and stayed in a 2 bedroom condo. There was plenty of space for us, and the rooms were immaculate. I especially appreciated the laundry service, as it meant that I was not taking 4 loads of laundry home. :-)

Let me tell you about the service...my youngest son found a coconut along the beach one day and carried it back to the resort. He went to the pool bar to ask if they could open it for him. A young man working there told him that the coconut he had found would not be any good, and then proceeded to climb a tree to grab a fresh one for him. I cannot tell you how much we appreciated that! I don't think he even thought about the memory that he was creating for my son, but I sure did.

Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay at Grand Caribe!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica C
Ojai, California
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Loved it, the condo couldn't have been any nicer. It was a wonderful location and can't wait to return. It's a sure keeper

Room Tip: stayed on the beach front it was fabulous, just like a commercial
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Gladewater, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed there with a group of friends, and everyone we were with had a blast!!
It was close enough to town ( a short golf cart ride), but far enough to still be remote.
We took a deep sea fishing trip with Fish Strike Force and have extremely satisfied. They are right there on the resort and are the best guides I ever used!!
I highly recommend Grand Caribe. It seemed very kid friendly as well. We plan on going back with our 2 yr old as soon as possible!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The main selling points of this hotel are the immaculate rooms and the great pool which is located right near the beach. You are not really going to find a typical beach on this island (Clearwater beach in Florida for example) so you should know that going in. That is one of the reasons we selected Grand Caribe because it definitely had the nicest/biggest pool on the island that overlooked the water. The pool also helps to draw in a lot of families with small children. Since it was the off season this wasn't that overwhelming to my wife and I but I can imagine it gets more hectic in the busy season.

The location of the resort is also a plus. We were able to walk to many of the restaurants/resorts we wanted to visit while staying there (Palapa's, Capricorn, & Aji's to name a few). It's an easy and cheap water taxi ride into town from the pier. The water taxi allows you to forgo the rental of a golf cart though my wife and I did rent one for a day for groceries and a trip to hidden treasure. We learned afterward that you can have groceries delivered to your room as well.

The main reasons I'm giving the resort 4 stars instead of 5 are as follows: botched tour booking and limited front desk hours.

We booked the cave tubing, zip lining, and ruins tour (we arrived on a Saturday and booked it for the following Thursday). We were told to arrive in the lobby at 620am, which we did, and we ended up waiting in the lobby for over an hour. When the front desk staff finally arrived we were told that the tour guide (Mark Cal) forgot to write down our tour thus resulting in us sitting in the lobby without a clue as to what was going on since there was nobody in the lobby except security people. This highlights the other issue I mentioned of the hotel having limited front desk staff. If you are going to have people picked up from your resort at 6:20am you should have someone at your front desk who knows what is going on and who to call if something goes wrong.

While the tour snafu appeared to be the fault of the tour company the hotel staff did very little to accommodate us other than booking the tour for the next day. We had planed to do this tour on our second to last day on the island so we could relax on our last day. Instead we got to wake up at 530am 2 days in a row! Instead of trying to make this up to us somehow the supervisor simply looked at me and asked "what would you like us to do?" It was clear she didn't normally handle these types of issues. If I was running this resort I would have been on the phone with tour company asking them for a discount on the re-booked tour since they botched things up and I'd also be reconsidering this company as a partner of mine.

The tour itself was something I wish we would have just skipped all together because it included 4 hours of sitting in a car! Having dealt with Chicago rush hour traffic on a frequent basis this was by no means how we wanted to spend a day of our vacation. It would have been nice to know this up front but this is probably our fault for not researching the tours more.

In my mind the tour was definitely not worth the $300 per person cost either. The cave tubing involved a 3 mile walk (while carrying your tube all the way) and involves a lot of rocks that can hurt you if you don't sit up while in the tube (I still have a nice bruise on my hip). The zip lining was also a let down. It looks a lot cooler than it really is and isn't something I'd really care to do again. In hindsight I think we would have done the Caye Caulker tour in place of the one we did. We also did the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley tour and that was definitely a must do!

Overall, I think if we had skipped the cave tubing, zip lining, and ruins tour this would have been a 5 star experience. The resort has a lot of good qualities but still has some room for improvement in terms of customer service and should possibly reconsider some of the tour companies they use. I think we would stay here again in the future but we'd just be a lot smarter about the tours.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple