“Great Resort Ok Location”

Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
chicago
“Great Resort Ok Location”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. It reminds me of a Ritz Carlton. This was the first time for me to stay at a hotel condo. It was nice because a lot of the people we met had been there many times and gave us good advice as far as restaurants and activities. The rooms are huge. I stayed in a one bedroom that was about 1000 sq ft. Maid service was phenomenal and they do your laundry. Every room has a view of the ocean. I booked my room through vrbo.com and got a great deal. At night the only thing I did not like was having my room close to the street and smells of sewer wafting unto the grounds. The beach is not really swimmable due to seaweed but you can swim off of the dock. The pool is great. The hotel only has one restaurant that is connected to the pool. The food was surprisingly good. The staff in the restaurant for some reason was always rude and very slow. To health nuts, eating fruits and veges is a luxury here so get some at the market when you arrive. If you fish you can do it right off of the dock for your dinner. Lots of snapper. We went deep sea fishing and caught the same stuff as we did off of the dock. The front desk staff was always super helpful. Everyone drives golf carts here. They were really expensive. I think about 75.00 usd per day. You can rent them by the hour but they are often times not available. Cabs are really expensive but comparable to other Caribbean countries. The more casual restaurants I found to be the best. Do not miss Elvi’s kitchen. The Belizean tacos are amazing. The street bbq is super good too. On every corner people are making papusas. Eat a lot of them!! Try and go during lobster season. Two must do attractions: First you must snorkel at Hol Chan. It is the best I have seen in the world. You will see sharks, grouper, turtle and stingrays. They bring you to deep areas where people are scuba diving below you. Another attraction is the Mayan ruins. If you have a lot of energy getting there by boat and bus is fine but if you are with kids or are older fly over to Belize. It is a very long but cool day. Last tip. You only need to arrive to the Ambergris airport 5 minutes before departure. Very lax.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
prarie village, ks
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Everything was lovely until we discovered that there were bugs in the mattreses of one of our bedrooms and my daughters were eaten to death. We did not let that ruin our otherwise wonderful experience, HOWEVER we were not taken too seriously and compensation was not offered. That cut our three bedroom into a two bedroom because nobody was willing to go in that room again.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 December 2012

San Pedro and many areas surrounding are quite seedy. Staying just north at Grand Caribe is a bit of an oasis and not too far out of town for dinner treks by boat or golf cart. The concierge, Melody, is exceptional at booking dinner reservations, dive trips or any other adventures. Dive operators pick you up right in front on the diock. The pools are salt water pools. Accommodations are clean and about 2years old. food is just so-so and over priced at Grand Caribe. Best to go elsewhere. Biggest disappointment was how much trash and plastic there is in the water. The beach is not the mat enticing beach. In all, a good experience.

Room Tip: Depends on the amount of people traveling. We loved one bedroom on the beach first floor walk out...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Benmansmom
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2012

this place is INCREDIBLE! If you are looking for privacy, but just minutes from the bridge to downtown San Pedro, this place is incredible. I would highly recommend it. The pool is the largest on the island. The food is awesome. And the beach ir private & very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank troy m
Liberty Township, Ohio
Reviewed 2 December 2012

we vacationed here in the summer of 2012 and loved it! The resort is beautiful, the staff is so very friendly and helpful. The view from our room was AMAZING! We loved it so much we actually bought a condo in the resort!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 November 2012

not much not to like about this place. great location, great service, beautiful decor and surroundings. the only possible negative is the distance from San Pedro, but getting to town is half the fun. we rented a golf cart from the front desk one night, got a cab another night, and took a water taxi on the third. All were great options, but I recommend the water taxi option.

Room Tip: a ground floor room doesn't get you access to the beach directly. you get a better view from a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My husband and I went to Belize for our 20th anniversary and stayed in the jungle for half of it (check my other reviews - fabulous place!), and then decided to come to the beach for the second half. Our travel agent booked us into a place in the heart of San Pedro, and we were not impressed at all... and sad that our vacation was going to end on such a sour note (again, you can find this in my other reviews).

Our saving grace was when we rented a golf cart and explored the northern end of the island and found the Grand Caribe, quite by accident. We pulled up that morning around 9am, walked through the lobby, saw the indescribable view out the back, and by 10:30am, we had checked OUT of the other place and fully moved IN to the Grand Caribe!! And we only had 1 night left of our vacation!

The tedious move was WELL WORTH IT. This place is stunning. The condo they placed us in had a full-size, stocked kitchen, a gorgeous bedroom with a walk in closet, and a bathroom that was OUT OF THIS WORLD. The shower alone made the whole place worth it! And between the time we left at 9 and returned at 10:30, they had decorated the room for us with towel swans on the bed, a heart made from rose petals, a bathroom sink full of rose petals... it was lovely, and so much more in line with what we wanted for our special honeymoon. (okay, my husband could've done without the flowery swans, but guys, little extra touches like that make a difference to us ladies!)

Another perk that made the move a no-brainer was that they provided us with a personal housekeeper who did ALL of our laundry for us!! I'm talking our WHOLE WEEK's worth of laundry even though we were only there for that one last night! I went back home with a whole suitcase full of clean clothes. Ahhhhhhh....

Their salt-water pool is incredible - I think it's the biggest in Belize, if I'm not mistaken. The views of the ocean are gorgeous (I'm sure it helped that we had beautiful weather). The general atmosphere is quiet - which was more what we were looking for as opposed to the noisy crowds down in the heart of San Pedro where we were.

My ONLY complaint - and it's not even a fair complaint - is that the beach is only mediocre. This is true for most of the island, though... the buildings are built right up close to the water, so there's not much sand to begin with. And they are constantly fighting the seaweed that washes up onto the shore. Most of the reputable resorts (of which this is one) do a good job of scooping it all up each day. Big, boring job, but I'm glad they do it - what they have is beautiful... it's just not much. In a nutshell, if you want a gorgeous beach, go to Playa del Carmen. If you want a gorgeous room in a beautiful country with attentive service and a fantastic swimming pool, then you can't go wrong with the Grand Caribe.

I think we paid about $309 ($350 or so after taxes/fees) for a 1 bedroom suite. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I have photos (and if you'd like to see them you are free to send me a message), but if you are questioning the "reality" of their professional, stock photos - don't. This place is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple