“Words do not describe”

Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Nashville, Tennessee
“Words do not describe”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary so we wanted something special. We could not have made a better choice. After spending a few days in the jungle where we attended a wedding and did the site seeing, we went to San Pedro for the R & R part of the trip. We chose Grand Caribe because we wanted to be on the north end of the island away from the hustle and bustle of the town. We were also hoping to get there just before the rush of spring break (almost end of March) and it turned out to be perfect timing. The beach and the pool were never too crowded and there were more than enough lounge chairs in both places. Our favorite thing to do was swim in the ocean tho :) The Cowboy Pool Bar had great food and I think we ate there about every meal OH!! and you must taste their Crazy Coco - it was the BEST!! (Ribeye sandwich also a big hit) What I cannot say enough about is the room. We stayed in I1A and first of all I need to comment on the wood work in the unit. The cabinets, tables, chairs everything was amazing. They provided coffee which we enjoyed every single morning for sunrise which was a breathtaking view from the units veranda. There was always a wonderful breeze and the view of the reef is surreal. The furniture was comfortable even to the point that on our second day there, a short cool front came through in the afternoon so we were watching a movie and we fell asleep on the sofa. Speaking of sleep - we couldn't get over the comfort of the bed either. It was like sleeping on a cloud. I think this was because it had a thin foam lining between the sheet and the mattress. The cleanliness or the unit was superb and trust me my husband is very picky when it comes to that. The experience at Grand Caribe was so amazing that we ended up staying an extra day since we just really did not want to leave. Cannot wait to go back for the 11th anniversary!!!

Room Tip: If you want the best view stay in a room on the top floor
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tessa V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I just got back from my wedding at Grand Caribe Resort, and I wish I was still there. My wedding was beautiful and just what I wanted. The wedding planner did a great job incorporating my wedding colors into the bouquet and cake. She also scheduled my hair appointment and massage that both took place in my condo the day of my wedding. My wedding was just like I imagined it would be with little stress in planning. They even offered to press my dress and my husband's suit along with each of my guest's clothes for the wedding!

The resort was very accommodating to our guests and all of my guests loved the resort and the staff. The resort, itself, is beautiful and has a great beach, long dock for fishing, multiple clean pools, and is well-maintained. Our condo was very nice and clean with updated appliances, tiled bathroom, large jacuzzi bathtub, and large balcony with breathtaking ocean views. The kitchen was fullly stocked and if we needed anything, the resort would bring it up to us. I cannot say enough about the staff at this resort. Most of them took the time to learn our names and greeted us by name each time they saw us. Our housekeeper was great and had our room decorated upon our arrival and on our wedding night. She also did our laundry during the week! The bar staff was friendly and fast and also learned our names. We used the resort for our excursions and found it was so easy to book an excursion (even on the day before we wanted to go). The staff member booked everything for us, and all we had to do was show up on the dock at the correct time.

The food at the bar was very good and they have some of the best ceviche on the island. The only downside to the resort is the drink prices. A gin and tonic was $12, a vodka and soda was $9, and a draft beer was $7. I would suggest buying liquor from the store to save money. Also, the resort is about 2 miles from the city center of San Pedro. I would recommend renting a golf cart, as there are not many restaurants close to the resort in walking distance.

Overall, everyone in my group had a wonderful time at Grand Caribe. I would definitely recommend this resort and plan on coming back one day!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank AngieE816
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had a two bedroom condo that was spacious & clean. My husband, 18 year old son and myself were there for 8 nights. Comfortable beds, laundry service, everything you need in a kitchen. The staff was friendly and always very helpful. The view was beautiful of the sea. We loved having a golf cart for our entire stay to explore the island and go to dinners in our area or drive 2 miles to San Pedro. Water Taxi's are available also. The staff will arrange all fishing, snorkeling & diving excursions. We had a great experience at this resort for our first time visiting Ambergris Caye. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CFTNM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Caibe from March 29th to April 5th, 2013. First trip to Belize. We took the puddle jump flight from Belize City with Tropic air. The front desk made all the arrangements when we booked the room. They picked us up at the airport in San Pedro, and took us to the resort. The cab ride was paid for by the Grand Caribe. Checked in, and they took us to our condo. Holy cow, was it beautiful. We had the massive one bedroom suite, I1A. Right dead center, on the second floor. Stunning room, with unreal views. There was, however, a problem lurking that we did not find out about until after getting home, more on that in a minute. The grounds a fantastic, and all the staff were exceptional. Especially Ada and Ingrid at the bar. The people of Belize were all very warm and friendly. We rented a golf cart for 3 days to get around. Really worth it, if nothing more than convenience. There is a water taxi that takes you from the dock to town for $5 US each way. It runs every 2 hours. The cart for 3 days was $211 US. I had to put $25 of gas in it. The roads are terrible, worse in a golf cart with no suspension. We did the Hol Chan, and Shark Ray ally snorkel on Sunday. Very touristy and over organized. My wife and I hate taking tours for this kind of thing, but the area is a marine reserve, and closely controlled, no choice. Saw a great variety of fish and rays. At Shark and Ray alley, saw the biggest nurse shark I have ever seen. Must have been an easy 300 lb's. I am a diver, so I did 2 reef dives on Monday. Went with Amigos Del Mar dive shop for all the snorkeling and diving. They were great. The real high light came on Wednesday. We went to the Great Blue Hole. This has been on my diving bucket list for a long time. My wife came as a snorkeler. This was truly the high light of the week. I have done a lot of diving, from French Polynesia, the Caribbean, Costa Rica, and these dives were the top of the heap, by miles. If you go to San Pedro, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Amigos Del Mar were incredible. Fed us all day, and it was valet diving. I did not do anything except dive. They looked after everything. Now, back to our little surprise in our room. We started the week hanging at the small beach. My wife commented that she was getting a lot of bites. Nothing unusual for the beach, so we thought. The next day, the bites started showing up on me. We were now steering clear of the beach, thinking it was sand flees or something like that. The week goes on, and we are now covered in bites. way more than I have ever encountered, and we have travelled a lot. I started really thinking about it this week, and looking at the area of my bites, and particularly, the pattern. I did some research, and I am convinced we had a bed bug infestation in our mattress. The mattress top was foam, which I found incredibly uncomfortable to sleep on, but my wife liked. There is no way we got these bites on the beach. The pattern of my bites is classic bed bug. It never occurred to us at the time, as we just assumed the beach, or mosquitoes. I sent the front desk an email indicating my thoughts, but don't expect a reply. In spite of this, we loved Belize. If you stay here, check your bed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kip W
Tewksbury
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I with our our 3 children ( 15,13,11 ) spent 1 week at Grand Caribe for our spring break. The resort is immaculate, the housekeeping and laundry is first rate,same as the grounds keeping, There is pride evident in the way the workers care for the property and for their individual jobs.Front desk and concierge could not be more helpful.They organized our pickup and return to airport our golf cart rental and all our tours. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Our condo was awesome, granite counter tops, high end appliances and all the comforts of home.We ate all over the island and could not find a bad meal. We simply used the restaurant reviews of all the previous visitors. We had equally great experiences with the fishing , scuba and snorkeling trips.We could not find anything to complain about, Grand Caribe is a home run.

Room Tip: all rooms have great views from what we could see , one tip , pack very light and then only take hal...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 1967Shelby
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Our family, my sister and boyfriend and mother and friend (6 adults and 2 kids) traveled last week of March 2013 to Grande Caribe. We had a great time and the staff was pleasant, friendly and helpful. We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite for 7 nights - this unit had great space, sparklingly clean and the amenities were excellent and the daily laundry service was awesome. The pool was excellent and beach was suitable. The bar food and service was good -- nice work by Ingrid and Chi taking care of us. The only improvement I shared - was larger pool umbrellas, small tables next to lounge chairs. Recommend (and we did) bring small set of snacks (chips, salsa, potato chips, PB&J, bags of cereal, etc.) to help curb appetites, quick breakfast in the morning, snacks at the pool, etc. Additionally, make a trip to the store for beer, milk, bread, and some other key necessities, The only thing to think about - is this resort is 2 miles north of downtown and you will need to rent a golf cart if you want to go downtown for dinner every night OR spend the $20 USD taxi ride each way -- we used Aby's Taxi (he was excellent). As for the rating, honestly, don't know if there was a fitness facility, I ran on the beach and road. For kids' activities there wasn't much, but we snorkeled off the beach and spent the day in the pool. Other than that...great trip would go back in a minute.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor so we had to go up two flights of stairs...not a big deal for us.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuart A
Trinidad
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I have stayed at Grand Caribe various times over the past 3 years with my infant daughter and cannot find anything to complain about. The staff are all very friendly, helpful and accommodating (which in my opinion is not fake warmth put on as a show merely for guests, as I have come to appreciate that Belizean people are generally quite friendly by nature, but this cultural trait is of course well applied and appreciated when it comes to the tourism industry). They even arranged an Easter Egg hunt for all the children who stayed over the Easter weekend.

The resort would be specifically attractive to families based on their large rooms, expansive multi-level pool area (which as far as I understand may even be the biggest in San Pedro and Ambergris Caye) with small fountain in the children's area and waterfall, beachfront location, facilitated transfer services to and from the airport (they arrange taxis and inland flights upon request), on hand ancillary services (they can arrange golf carts for those who wish to venture out of the resort and diving/snorkeling/fishing/sea excursions - facilitated by their onsite pier), and onsite pool bar & restaurant service (which can also be used for room service).

The resort is located in Northern Ambergris Caye which is away from the bustling activity and nightlife of the Main San Pedro town. This tends to make it nice, quiet and private, ideal for families and couples.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family