“Interested in CROCS”

ACES / American Crocodile Education Sanctuary
Ranked #26 of 74 Tours in San Pedro
More attraction details
Owner description: Join ACES's Expert Croc Team on an evening, educational, crocodile eye-shine aboard the "Swamp Thing." Search for predatory crocodiles to capture, tag, & re-release to help ACES Biologists collect scientific data on Belize's wild & threatened American crocodiles. (ACES is permitted by the Belize Forest Department.) Your expedition takes you through mangrove islands & into the starlit night while searching for Isla Bonita's extraordinary, nocturnal wildlife and the infamous saltwater crocodiles in their natural habitat. Departing from "The Office Bar & Grill" at 6:30 pm, this extraordinary 2-3 hour expedition is only $50USD per person. All proceeds go to crocodile rescues, research, and education in Belize.
Yukon, Oklahoma
“Interested in CROCS”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very good informational excursion and great for the whole family ages 4 and up. Would have been better if we caught an actual crocodile! But that is the sad situation that these animals living. Their numbers are dwindling.

Visited May 2014
CrocsBelize, Employee at ACES / American Crocodile Education Sanctuary, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
It is a sad situation with the dwindling numbers and the population just isn't self sustainable right now. But, that's why we do what we do!!

I'm sorry we didn't get to catch a croc, but tat's the nature of hunting for you, sometime we don't. I hope the education made for the lack of a capture though.

Look us up again if you're back and maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Thanks for coming, and for the review.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“ACES is a #1 ACE in my book!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

On a recent road-trip adventure through Belize, I took the ferry over to San Pedro for a couple of nights to explore and to meet Vince & Cherie and witness the tagging and relocating of crocodiles. Having interviewed Cherie by phone for an article, I knew it would be an amazing experience but it was even more amazing than I anticipated! When the boat arrived to pick us up it already had an almost 8 foot croc on board. We took him out for relocation, watched as Miriam and Chris measured and tagged him and even got to name him - we decided on Pissed Off Christoph due to his hissing aboard the boat. Watching Christoph swim off in his new location was something I will never forget. I will also never forget Miriam - the 20-something year old intern - hopping into the dark waters to snatch a smaller croc and bring him on board for examination. She is one brave chicky! Cherie & Vince - keep up the excellent work. If you go to Belize, this is not to be missed. You will never forget it!

2 Thank TrippingwithTerri
Oh Christoph was a fiesty one!! Behaving as a croc should!! Haven't seen him since which is a good thing!!
Aye, Miriam was a character!! She was a hard worker and enthusiastic as one could hope for. She's supposed to ask before she gets in the water for safetys sake, but by the end of her internship, I couldn't keep her in the boat, as soon as we saw a croc she was off!! LOL!!

I'm glad we managed to get you guys out, and thaks for doing the article and the lovely review.

Don't forget to come back!!

Chicago, Illinois
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Crocodile Julie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

An interesting and educational way to spend an evening on the lagoon, this worthwhile not for profit agency takes you out on the boat (reservations needed, current donation is $40 USD) to look for the indigenous and endangered crocodile. This group tags, surveys, tracks and if need be, relocates more aggressive crocs.

Captain Chris and interns took us out after sunset into the lagoon for a fun ride. One crocodile was spotted in an estuary and Cap't Chris and his intern jumped into the water to try and capture it, but it got away.

Back on the boat we all chatted about the important things in life, like Game of Thrones, lol. A while later another croc was spotted but submerged too soon but nearby another one was spotted and captured. We were then given an very informative introduction to crocodile health and habits. This croc was not previously tagged and his health was poor. We were lucky to witness the procedure of tagging, taking measurements and notes, having the opportunity to hold him and even were asked to name him. So, if you see Tyrion the crocodile, tell him hi from me.

2 Thank BikegoddessJulie
CrocsBelize, Employee at ACES / American Crocodile Education Sanctuary, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
It still hasn't got any better has it!! That darn game of thrones, I guess this must be a filler season!!

I haven't seen Tyrion since we let him go. I'm sure he's found himself a nice little niche somewhere where he won't be bothered by man nor beast.
I wish he was in better health. I think I know where he came from, he's not usually in that part of the lagoon where we found him. I think he's usually in this nasty little pond not far away from his capture point, which would explain his poor health and lethargic attitude. But, hopefully, being away fromt the garbage and pollution, the clean water we left him in should flush out his system pretty quick. These guys are awfully resiliant, it's incredible how they're able to bounce back the way they do.

Thanks for coming, and thanks for taking the time to do that extensive review. I'll say hi to Tyrion for you when I see him again!!

Chicago, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Who knew you could do this in Belize? Belize it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

A couple of locals suggested that we check this out as it is something that they enjoy doing every once in a while. We showed up at the appointed time and went out with Captain Chris and Miriam. The knowledge that they have about crocs is impressive and I learned quite a bit. I'm glad that we were able to experience what it's like to go out looking for crocodiles at night. It took a while before one was spotted. I couldn't believe it when Chris and Miriam jumped into the water and went looking for it. Unfortunately they were not able to catch it as the croc knew what they were up to. A little later they did catch a croc that had not been tagged so it was interesting to see how they get tagged and measured.

The cost of the outing was US$40 and the money is used to sustain the activities of ACES as they are a not-for-profit.

I recommend this for people of all ages.

2 Thank Klikes2travel
Sometimes it's takes a while to find one or two of those sneaky buggers!! They are oh so sneaky after all!! I hope our education kept you entertained though while we conducted our search.

That was a good night for us, slow as it may have been to start with. It's a rare occasion for us to catch a croc that has never been tagged before so that was great data for our books!!

Shame he wasn't as in good a health as he could of been (if I'm thinking of the right croc), but hopefully he's doing better where we dropped him off in cleaner water.

Thanks for coming with us, and thanks for the nice review.

Gavle, Sweden
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Really awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This was a really thrilling and cool experience! Unfortunately we weren't able to catch any croc on our tour but we were really close! The guides were really ambitious and dedicated to their work and they made it very interesting and educational. I learned a lot about crocodiles and it was definitely worth the visit! Too bad the crocs didn't want to cooperate with us this evening though... But we saw the eyes of them and the guides really did their best to catch them.

Next time in Belize, I'll try my luck again!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank olssonmalin
Those crocs are getting smarter that's for sure!!! It seems the more we chase them, the harder they are to catch which is great for their survival in the long term.

I'm sorry we didn't catch anything for you that night. That's just how it goes sometimes when hunting.

I hope you still had a good time though, and I hope you look us up again if you're ever back in town and we'll do our best to get one in your hands!!

Thanks for coming , and thank you for doing us a review.