“Hidden paradise”
Review of Belize Hutz

Belize Hutz
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Hutz mid March 2014. Gloria the new owner was amazing and definitely would call her the "hostess with the mostest"! Everything you need is right there. Bed, bar, pool, pool table, and of course beer. Perfect rates and walking distance to the beach. There is no reason not to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marweenie

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This place has recently switched ownership, and definitely for the better. The new owner, Gloria, is an amazingly friendly, hospitable American who will take the best care of you. My boyfriend and I stayed here for a month and felt right at home.

The location is a bit out of town, but with bicycle or golf cart (the two most popular ways to get around), it's less than five or ten minutes to the main part of town. You can rent bicycles from the hotel. The beach is a quick two-block walk away. There are plenty of restaurants and small local shops nearby. I really liked that it was a bit outside of the bustle of the main part of town; it felt more local and like the romantic getaway we were looking for.

The service is probably the best asset of this place. The housekeeper and cook, Evelyn, can make you some mean rice and beans or breakfast if you request it. In my opinion, she makes the best wings in town. The small bar is usually pretty full with locals, expats, and tourists at night--definitely try the rum punch! We were more long-term stays, but we would ask for our room to be cleaned and it would be done within the hour. Gloria and the rest of the staff will provide you with a wealth of information and resources if you are looking for something to do around the island, and they all made me feel as though I was part of their community. The internet and AC works well, beds are comfortable, very safe, showers are hot, and the pool is refreshing after a hot day out on the town!

I'm sure all of these things will only get better as Gloria continues to make improvements to the place. If you're looking for an affordable getaway with a more local feeling, definitely come to Belize Hutz!

Room Tip: The music at the bar goes until 12am or so most nights, so I'd ask for a room away from that if...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alimary23
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I had the chance to stay at hutz last weekend for a few days, let me tell u AFFORDABLE LUXURY is what the new owner offers she took over the place a couple weeks ago. she has completely turn the place around the grounds are clean the staff is helpful and completely friendly, they go out of the way to make ur stay exactly what you want there is a full bar next to the pool, and a pool table for those of u who like that, they have a huger lounge area where u can relax and chill, read or watch television, there is a small store right across the street there food menu is really great. and the local cook is one of the best on the island, for your money its the best place on the island the rooms are great and cozy all in one. so when going to the island go to belize hutz ask for gloria the new owner.

Room Tip: rooms in the center are great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank matthew l
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a room at Belize Hutz for about 4 weeks, as it was one of the most affordable places to stay in San Pedro that was still close to the beach. I was skeptical at first because the price was so low, but this place is awesome!

Gloria, the new owner, has gone out of her way on multiple occasions to make our stay great. She has a gift for genuine hospitality that I've not found at other resorts, and the rest of the staff is friendly and helpful as well. Apparently, she just bought the place and is in the process of making all kinds of new improvements, although, we found the place cozy already.

The huts are about 2 blocks from the beach, and about a mile from downtown San Pedro. We walked downtown every day for the first few days before deciding to get bikes, but there is plenty to do close by, and a small grocery store right across the street. There is a bar and a billiards table right next to the pool, and the bar gets a decent sized crowd sometimes.

Overall, this is your best bet for an affordable stay on this wonderful island.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fuzz W
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Hutz during our trip to San Pedro in January 2013. Our room was clean and comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and fun! The food was also wonderful and we polished of a lot of rum when hanging out at the bar! The beach is a very close walk away however town is a bit of a trek. We ended up renting a golf cart for the duration of our stay which turned out to be very fun and surprisingly inexpensive! We recommend staying at Hutz and the price is right!! Thank you James for a great experience!

Room Tip: Try and book room in the back of the resort to stay away from the day time noise on the streets.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brianne M
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed her for a few days and James was great, the office staff was great and the locals who hang out here were wonderful. We loved them! I talked to the owner and he assisted in giving us information on the place. There is a great bakery and store right nearby.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hanna B
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This by far, was the worst experience of my life. I travelled solo and couldn't have imagined such a complete dump. Loud music till all hours of the night, so no sleep. Still trying to figure out if I got bit by Bot flies which leave larvae under your skin. There is mud everywhere under the rooms and flies/mosqitos everywhere. The rooms are awful. Service non existent. No bikes, no food, no sleep. Just the worst experience of my life. Do not stay here. Trust me, it is worth the extra money to stay anywhere but here. These reviews are not real either. There is no way people would review this place as a good place to stay. No way. Miles from town and golf carts are $70 US a day and there is no way you would want to walk or ride a bike from this location. No beach anywhere near this property. No restaurant, no maid service, no friendly smiling faces. This area is the worst part of town and you are living like the locals here and it is filthy. Do not stay here. Trust me. I wish someone had wrote a real review like this before we booked her. Pay the extra dollars, it is worth it. Stay at the Royal Caribbean Resort, a thousand times better or even Rubys, Corona Del Mar, Sunbreeze Hotel or Pedros if you want to save money, but not BH.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo