Cayo Espanto
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Mata Rocks Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$142
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$359
US$240
Mayan Princess Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$143
  • Beachfront
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$224
  • Pool
Banana Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$114
  • Breakfast included
El Secreto(San Pedro)
US$521
US$500
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$149
US$430
US$414
Orbitz.com
White Sands Cove Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$141
SunBreeze Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$224
All reviewsplunge poolwalkie talkieprivate islandcasa estrellaoverwater bungalowour honeymoonlas ventanashobie cat sailingtiki torchestiny islandthe entire staffbelize citymoment you arriveblue holethrough customslobsterprivate place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I was here with a group and we rented the entire island. The service was impeccable and the food is the best I've ever had on a vacation. The water was full of sea pests (sea lice - a form of jelly fish) and the plunge pools are very small but nice and private. The service was amazing!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Joe M
Reviewed 2 February 2013

What can I say. Absolutely the best service anywhere. Period. We travel quite a bit and like to stay at 5 star properties. We have been to the Caribbean probably 15 times over the years and this without a doubt the best place we have been. Food was great, fresh, and in as much quantity as you want. They will taylor to your specific requests. Where else can you have 5 star cuisine by candlelight with black tie service in your swimsuit on the beach if you want. I highly recommend the day at sea with German, you (or German) catch your lunch and then he cooks it on the beach. Also recommend the helicopter for arrival and departure if within your budget. Saves a lot of time and hassle and they give you a reef tour as well. But the service is what distinguishes this property from the others. All the way from Russell in bookings, to Erica and Ester in the office it is truly the best anywhere. Our houseman Obed and his assistant Fernando were truly outstanding and I think what made our trip so special. It was our 30th wedding anniversary and they went above and beyond to make our trip memorable. I can't wait to get back.

16  Thank rc5Ar
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We spent 7 nights in the Aurora villa at Cayo Espanto and were relaxed and pleasured from the first moment to the last. Two housemen, a Chef and a housekeeper were literally at our beck and call (via walkie-talkie). The quality of the villa was first rate from the spaciousness and the wonderful outdoor areas down to the beautiful furnishings and even the bedding. Everything is done to your individual desire. The food was first rate, utilizing much fresh seafood. All meals are served in your villa at a time of your choosing. Three choices for both lunch and dinner and off menu if you prefer. Breakfasts are wonderful as well. Even the included house wines were acceptable to a pair of oenophiles with an additional wine list if necessary. There are massages, kayaking and day trips available as well. For us, just "doing nothing" for a week was what we needed and royally received.

Room Tip: Each villa is a bit different but all seem wonderful. Check all 7 out on line.
7  Thank perfessa
Reviewed 18 January 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Cayo Espanto as part of a group retreat. We were in Casa Ventanas, one of only 7 dwellings on the ~4 acre island (ours was the one over the water). If you read the other reviews, you'll get an excellent sense of what it's like there, so I want to quickly focus on the Pro's and the Con's and then give you my overall assessment of Value.

Pro's:
- Excellent accomodations - well designed, thoroughly clean, comfortable, great views. We visited a number of friends and all the Casas were of similar high quality
- Staff/Service - friendly, service-minded, always available at an instant's notice. They really tried to learn our preferences so the longer we stayed, the less we had to ask them for. Again, friends were all bragging about their excellent bulter service
- Food - not 5-star, but good variety and excellent taste. Very flexible if you wanted to go "off menu". They also did a great job of accomodating our diet, which was dairy- and gluten-free
- Ambiance - Peaceful, beautiful, quiet, relaxing. Not a place to go for a party, but if you want to get away from it all - this is the place. (Note: since we were part of a retreat, we did not get to take advantage of any day-trips they had on offer... did enjoy sailing the hobie-cat, kayaking, and dips in the ocean - no sea lice as others had reported... also had a very good massage in my room)

Con's - OK, going to sound stupid, but really had no complaints... but looking back, I found myself asking myself if it was worth the high price tag? Which leads me to...

Value - With tips, we were at about $1750 per day, which would buy you a lot of vacation anywhere. I started to make a mental inventory - a private villa, 2 on-call butlers, great food and drinks, amazing setiing... then I compared it with the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas, where I've stayed often. There, an oceanview room with 3 meals, drinks and use of the beach/ocean gear (kayaks, hobie cats, etc) would run about around $1200. This for a regular hotel room, no personalized service, no ability to have complete privacy... for me the extra $550 was worth it. Mind you, I wouldn't call Cayo Espanto a bargain, but you do get what you pay for - a unique, luxury experience... one that I'll never forget.

I'm looking forward to going back - 'nuff said?

13  Thank Crabnomore
Reviewed 20 December 2012

My (now) husband and I stayed at Cayo Espanto four years ago and it remains our best vacation to date. Everything was perfect. Before you leave you complete a survey regarding your food likes and dislikes and each night you are escorted to a different area of the beach (or inside your villa if you so choose) where a table with candles and a new menu of your favorites had been setup. Every meal is . In addition to the food, the service was really impressive. Upon arrival you are given a walkie-talkie so you can speak to your house butler at all times. They were always unbelievably accommodating; on one occasion they even brought us s'mores upon request.

During the day we spent our time laying out, sipping on their famous Hurricanes (very different than the new orleans version) and playing paddle ball in the shallow waters that surround the villas. We also went snorkeling in the crystal clear water and were able to see some nurse sharks. We only left the island once and that was for a day trip the hotel setup. We got to see some underwater caverns, went rappelling and did some minimal hiking. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple