“Honeymoon of my dreams”
Review of Cayo Espanto

Cayo Espanto
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My new husband booked this for our honeymoon as a surprise for me. Imagine my surprise when I found out we were spending 5 days on a tropical island with every amenity known to man and service of a quality that I have never experienced before. From the moment we stepped off the plane in Belize City we were met by a representative of the Island who took care of us and made sure we had everything we needed to make the next leg of the trip. When we got off the next plane, Luis (who would be one of our housemen) met us and got us in a taxi and took us to the pier for our boat ride to the island. We were met there Fantasy Island style by all of the "help". They each introduced themselves and we were swept away to our villa, Solana. Solana is on the western most tip of the island and my new husband made sure we had the villa that would give us the best sunsets because they are so special to us. The villa was beautiful, the scenery superb, the food so tasty with a beautiful presentation, the care that was taken of us by our housemen, Carlos and Luis was unmatched anywhere on earth. We could do something or nothing. Most days we chose nothing. It was so nice just to sit and soak up the atmosphere and each other. One day we soaked up too much sun and Luis brought aloe for us to use. We did have an aloe and seaweed massage. It was great for our sunburns and so relaxing. Also, my husband did arrange for a private picnic on a neighboring island. Everything was set up for us, umbrellas, dining table and chairs, places to lay out if we chose to. The island was beautiful and they even swept the sand for us. Lunch was brought with us in a huge cooler as was any drink you could ever want. They gave us a phone and told us to call when we were ready to return. My husband told them my favorite soft drink was Coke Zero and they made sure to supply us with it daily. The chef would visit everyday to go over the dinner menu for the evening and every evening we would be taken somewhere romantic on the island for dinner. The table would be set with candles and flowers, and the Caribbean Sea was just a few steps away. This is the most romantic place in the world and they know how to keep it that way. They are invisible until you want (or need) something and then they seemingly appear out of nowhere. I cannot recommend this place enough. If you want beauty, romance, a "do something or nothing" place to be, then you should visit here. I cannot wait to return. Just to tell you how thoughtful they are ... when we left the island, there they all were again ... lined up to tell us goodbye. I had lamented to my husband the day before that I wished I had asked them for all of the menus that they had presented us with each day so that I could have that "visible" memory. Imagine my surprise when Erica handed us a packed lunch in an insulated bag for our return to the airport as well as each days menu. It was like she read my mind. Love, love, love this place! Talk about how expensive it is if you must, but you can't afford NOT to go there.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad villa on the whole island. Each one offers its own unique qualities...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lee Ann K
There are newer reviews for Cayo Espanto

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is an overdue review! My husband and I are approaching our three year anniversary and naturally we thought about Cayo Espanto. We stayed here in 2010 for our honeymoon and had an amazing time. My husband told me he felt like James Bond the entire time we were there. We stayed at casa solano and the views were breath taking. The food was some of the best we have ever had. The morning pancakes caused my husband to emit a joyful hum while he ate. The amazing attention we received from the staff was unrivaled by any other hotel or resort that we have ever experienced. The excursions that were arranged with the hotel to see the beautiful sights in Belize were top notch - snorkeling on the reef, visiting Mayan Ruins, and zip lining. Also, one day we went fishing with German, a local guide, and we had such a fun time. One day I mentioned to one of the staff that I wanted to see a movie that had recently come out on DVD. That day he went into town bought the DVD and my husband and I watched it on an inflatable 10 foot movie screen. I was so shocked at the steps that he had taken to make us feel like we were the priority. When we tell people about our honeymoon they usually are shocked to hear just how much fun we had at Cayo Espanto. Please look no further if you are planning your honeymoon or a vacation of a life time. We hope to be back one day soon at Cayo Espanto.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelChicago9
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent 6 days on Cayo Espanto in October 2008. It was the most amazing place with so many special qualities it is hard to know where to start. Our houseman was Obed and his assistant was Rollie and they waited on us hand and foot day or night. When we were up in the mornings I would push the button on the walkie talkie and immediately he would respond, "Yes Mr. Tolman this is Obed, what can I do for you?" I would tell him we were up and they would come and set up a table on our private dock with a plate if fresh fruit and fruit smoothies while we decided what we wanted to have for breakfast. The day would only improve from there. They have a dive master on site for snorkeling or scuba diving adventures. I have my advanced open water scuba and yet with the snorkeling we did there, I saw more wildlife than any scuba diving I have done. If you have ever wanted to be completely pampered then this is a destination you must check out!! We will definitely
Return to stay again in the future. Well worth the price even though it is expensive.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank steeletolman
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Generally we do not go back to places we have been to before, preferring instead to venture to places new and unknown. The world is a big and interesting place - why go to the same place twice? Once in a while however we find a place so good that we have to go back again,and then again. Cayo Espanto is such a place. Everything about the island is first class - the people, the food, the surroundings, things to do (snorkeling with nurse sharks, manta rays and turtles anyone?). The food is excellent and it is hard to understand how Michelin star restaurant quality food can be prepared on a small tropical island off the coast of Belize.
Leave the world behind, come here, and then spend the rest of the year wishing you were back here. A rare gem of a place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
48  Thank gnvhp
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My boyfriend and I recently spent 10 days at this little piece of heaven in Belize. From the time we stepped off the plane in Belize City (a full 2 days before our actual stay at Cayo Espanto!), we were met by a representative of the resort and we could tell that our stay was going to be extraordinary! This resort takes care of every detail of your trip, making you feel safe (and spoiled rotten!) in every way. Aside from the ridiculously luxurious accommodations and premier food, the service is off the charts! Our every wish and whim were catered to graciously, and we just adored our houseman, Obed! One evening we commented how neat it would be to eat dinner on a floating pier we'd kayaked out to on a previous afternoon, and the next evening, we and our gourmet dinner were sailed out to that very pier for a candlelight dinner for two on the water! Probably best of all, though, was seeing my boyfriend, a self-employed businessman who typically works 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week, completely unplug and unwind and relax. For those 10 days, he was transported to another place where he hadn't a care in the world, aside from catching those bonefish and barracudas circling our private dock. I don't think this would be possible anywhere else. We are grateful to the wonderful staff at Cayo Espanto for making our days with them so entirely wonderful and memorable. We will definitely be back again!!

• Stayed: July 2013
16  Thank AbbyPerich
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at Casa Ventanas. It was a dream of mine to stay in an over water villa! The service at Cayo Espanto is unbelievable from the moment you arrive. The food was exceptional and beyond my wildest expectations.
We really enjoyed relaxing on the deck and spending time together. The only issue we had was the sea lice. Although we were provided special sun screen I still got bit but did not have any rash. Unfortunately these are common all over the world.
If you are looking for a social environment this is not the place for you. You truly feel like you are on your own island. It was a nice break from New York and every detail was considered. I would recommend Cayo Espanto to ANYONE looking to relax and unwind. It is worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank StephNewYork
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Not much to say that hasn't already been said by other reviewers. My husband and I spent the last half of our honeymoon in Casa Manana on this beautiful island. It's as close to perfect as you can get. The food was impeccable, the service great and the view unparalleled. The attention to detail at Cayo Espanto was amazing.
Before traveling they sent a relatively in depth questionnaire so that they could provide the best experience (and food) possible. And they did.

We'll definitely be back here for an anniversary!

Room Tip: Casa Olita, Casa Manana and Casa Estrella probably have the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple