“Best. Romantic. Vacation. Ever.”
Review of Cayo Espanto

Cayo Espanto
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 8 April 2009

My husband and I have just returned from the best vacation of our lives. We had hoped to go somewhere romantic, restorative and all together beautiful and Cayo Espanto was everything and more. I tried very hard to keep my expectations in check after reading all the glowing reviews, and quite astoundingly, Cayo Espanto exceeded them.
From booking the reservation with Russell to our housemen Obed and Rick, we experienced a five star level of care, attention to detail and concern for our needs. In all circumstances, everything that could be done to improve our experience, was done. Thanks to Chef, Brenda our masseuse, Victor and Joel our snorkel guides for taking such good care of us as well. If you want to eat like a king, be pampered like a queen and well, pet a nurse shark, these are your people.
Casa Estrella is simple and gorgeous, the views are breathtaking, the water and sky unbelievable. We saw sunrise and sunset from our two docks. Obed and Rick set our dinner service each night in a different location but always with linen, candles, flowers and deck or water torches. They came to know our favorite drinks and snacks and how we liked this or that, making us feel like royalty. Obed's response to our requests was always "with pleasure".
Despite the pampering, the privacy and sense of seclusion was almost more intoxicating. It was heaven.
I could not have imagined a bettter vacation. Mind you, if action packed and night life is what you want, go somewhere else. But if you want to get away from everything and everyone, reconnect, restore and revel in beauty, luxury, peace and quiet then Cayo Espanto is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tom M
There are newer reviews for Cayo Espanto

Reviewed 16 March 2009

My wife and I stayed in Casa Aurora at Cayo Espanto from March 11-15, 2009. Overall, we had an outstanding experience and I agree with most everything previous reviewers have posted. I consider myself to be very demanding about hotels and resorts - my wife would probably say unpleasable - but there was little to nothing I found to complain about with Cayo Espanto. The staff is first rate, exceptionally friendly, and highly attentive. The villas are well-kept, sophisticated, and look pretty much like what you see on the website. The views are beautiful and the plunge pool is great. Anyone thinking about a vacation here should understand that it is suitable only for those looking to truly relax - other than some water activities there is nothing to do but sit in the sun, swim, read, etc, which is exactly what we were looking for. The food is very good, though certainly not haute cuisine, and considerably better than other all-inclusive experiences we've had. I recommend sticking with the local fish whenever possible - those were our favorite dishes.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ny_wahoo
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We had the best time ealier this month when we began our Honeymoon at Cayo Espanto. After a long day of travel we were greeted by all of the staff with cool towels and drinks waiting for us. We stayed in the Casa Ventanas which is their overwater bungalow and enjoyed the complete privacy we had. The other bungalows have plunge pools but from ours you could step down right into the water. Most of the water in the area is extremely shallow so it isn't the greatest for swimming but we could watch fish while eating our breakfast which was pretty cool. Although our windows and doors remained open we always felt like the only guests on the island. The staff was wonderful, the amenities were wonderful. We had purchased a Honeymoon package so our itinerary was planned for us ahead of time and it was great not to have to plan anything and not to have a bill at the end. We had a private picnic, went snorkeling, and had massages and I would recommend all of those activities. The food was delicious - I think breakfast was my favorite meal and the view from our room couldn't be beat. Pedro was our guide snorkeling and he was awesome and very knowledgeable. We never wanted to leave!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MarylandDivaTraveler
Reviewed 14 February 2009

I had my eye on Cayo Espanto as a "dream destination" for a few years but did not think that it was in my price range until I saw that it offered "free airfare" which made it much more likely to be able to visit. We spent 5 days including a birthday here in early February. It was as advertised: a private island with accomodations for only 12 -14guests in 6 private "casas" with a personal fantastic staff that was available at your call but absent unless you called for them---incredibly responsive to our needs. We had 2 housemen assigned to our Casa Olita including the often mentioned (how could you not?), Obed, and Alex, his assistant. The accomodations were splendid--a very large room with the opportunity to open 3 walls to views of beach, palm trees, and sea but yet able to be closed for total privacy and to escape from the occasionally too strong winds. Our bed was large with lots of pillows, a feathery duvet and a nighttime mosquito net to envelope it. We had both indoor and outdoor showers with plenty of water pressure and hot water. There was a satellite TV and very reasonable stereo CD player and IPOD dock as well as VCR and DVD player and a library to borrow video or music (though we had brought our own). The food was not only plentiful but gourmet delicious with ample choices for every meal and availability of snacks and tea and all the beverages you could want included in the rate (except for wine and champagne--but who needs wine when tere are pina coladas, mohitos and LI iced teas etc available on request? Did I also mention that the room refrigerator was stocked with beer, soft drinks and water? And not to mention the most delicious fresh pineapple juice in the world for breakfast (unless you'd prefer a mango-orange-strawberry-banana smoothie). Unfortunately, the weather for 3 of our days was not calm enough to enjoy snorkeling (I guess we will have to return again----darn it!) and the Casa's private plunge pool was not warm enough to be comfortable for us to use, but these are minor inconveniences and did not detract much at all from the peaceful, pampered pleasure of Cayo Espanto. And for the birthday supper, there was also a private concert by a Honduran guitarist-singer following dinner under a full moon on the beach . It was the vacation that fulfilled fantasies and truly a "paradise found."

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Akanakagawa
Reviewed 11 January 2009

My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary and it was a total suprirse for her...she did not know where she was going until we were greeted at the airport by Elio...Wow...what a place to being greeted at the dock with a beverage of your choice, being escorted to your house along the sand paths that were personally carved for you and arriving at your house to a perfect buffett cd....The food was excellent...beyond all expectations...we went fly fishing and had a blast but found ourselves asking each other if we would miss our lunch and we were getting worried, yes, lunch is that good! The service is extradionary, our staff very attentive and the best! This is the best honeymoon/ anniversary you could ask for.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
9  Thank sdk1983
Reviewed 9 December 2008

My wife and I went to Cayo Espanto in Belize for our Honeymoon and had a fantastic trip. The visit provided us with colorful memories and experiences that we will carry with us for the duration of our lives together. The combination of tropical activities and romantic venues were the perfect blend for the two of us which are simply unparalleled in our current lifestyle. To begin, the food provided at every meal was cooked to any and all of our specifications ranging from the exotic fresh conch with lime for breakfast to the grilled grouper or lobster caught that day for dinner. We also immensely enjoyed snorkeling in the warm clear water with the marine life in abundance and taking a day trip through the tropical river to reach the Mayan ruin of Altun-Ha–simply amazing! In terms of romantic amenities, one day my wife and I opened up our entire cabana, had full body massages and then shared a glass of wine on our dock as we watched the sun set and seemingly disappear into ocean-simply fantastic! I could continue, but in summary the settings, friendly people and staff, food and lifestyle we experienced were marvelous and a gift of memories that my wife and I share with each other on every anniversary. We can’t wait to return. Thank you Cayo Espanto!

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TarHeel092
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I have been to many destinations all over the Caribbean and Mexico, and I have never felt tempted to write a review until I went to Cayo Espanto. To say this place is amazing is a gross understatement. Everything, EVERYTHING, is fantastic. The minute we stepped off the plane we were completely, 100%, pampered and taken care of. The island is gorgeous, and the views are breathtaking. The villa was spotless, plush, and more than we could have imagined. My husband and I are young and were worried about money (whether we were going to get what we paid for), only to be absolutely blown away that we could actually afford such a luxury! Belize is a beautiful country, but what truly made our vacation what the service that Cayo Espanto has. Our houseman, Obed, treated us like royalty. Many celebrities have visited the island and he has been their houseman, and he told us that to him, "everyone is a celebrity", and I believe it! He never made us feel like we were merely a job or a paycheck, he honestly cared about our experience not only on the island, but in his country. We didn't do any private excursions, they were a little out of our price range, so Obed gave us some insider tips about the best snorkeling companies (Amigos del Mar!) and stores in San Pedro. We had a fantastic time snorkeling at Hol Chan--definitely something everyone visiting Belize should do. So let me get to the food--THE FOOD! Oh my goodness, the food was delicious. Patrick and Richard were our chefs, and the creations they served us were incredible. Obed would set up our table wherever we wanted, but truly we let him decide where to set up because he had such a gift for setting the mood and ensuring we got the full experience. Dinner was a five course meal, breakfast was to die for, and lunch was always perfect. My favorite was the desserts--you MUST try the margarita sorbet and key lime souffle. Our fridge was always stocked with whatever we desired, and Obed was at our beck and call for fresh squeezed orange juice, a great margarita, or a little snack (calamari anyone??). We had internet so we could e-mail family and friends and make them so so jealous, and satellite TV so my husband wouldn't miss the highlights of Saturday's football games. The best part was being able to lay on our dock in paradise and still hear the scores! I could go on and on about paradise, but it basically boils down to this: You MUST go. Our trip to Cayo Espanto is the vacation we will compare all other vacations to, and we WILL return. (And Obed, if you read this, I miss you!! My husband just doesn't make a margarita like you, haha!!) Many thanks to all the wonderful people who made our vacation the perfect getaway. When you look in the dictionary, paradise should be defined as Cayo Espanto. :-)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple