“The Most Wonderful Place on Earth”
Review of Cayo Espanto

and 1 more site!
Cayo Espanto
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Orlando, Florida
“The Most Wonderful Place on Earth”
Reviewed 20 February 2010

My husband and I were toying with the idea of going to Belize on our honeymoon. While searching for places to stay, we came upon Cayo Espanto in our search. As soon as we saw the website, we knew we HAD TO go to this magical place for part of our honeymoon!

Everything about Cayo Espanto was excellent (with the exception of one activity that I will touch on later in this review).

First we were greeted at the airport with a sign bearing out name and an very helpful employee that arranged all of the details for our ouddle jumper plane to take us out to where we needed to be to get to Cayo. Once in San Pedro, we were taken on a 7 minute boat ride to Cayo Espanto and were greeted with the entire staff waiting for us on the dock with Espanto Waves for us to drink. Our room was set up with flowers and a table was set with a delicious shrimp appetizer. The sunset was beautiful and neither of us could believe we were here!

We were given a walki talkie in order to communicate with the staff whenever we needed something and we certainly made use of it for yummy cocktails while lying out on our private dock. The food was excellent and served at the time that you want. You are given all the privacy you need and attention when you want it.

While we were there, we had a couple massage on the outer deck of our villa. The highlight of our trip was a private snorkel trip for my husband and I. Neither of us had never really been snorkeling before, and it proved to be awesome. I even held a nurse shark, was able to touch a stingray, swam over huge turtles as they were eating on the group and with a giant school of fish. On the way back, our boat driver saw dolphins jumping out of the water and drove over to them and they jumped out of the water by our boat. Awesome! We were even greeted with the cocktail of our choice when we got back to the island.

The negative experience we had was our lunch on a private beach. We were driven out on a boat for about 15 minutes to a remote location where a table with umbrella and food were set up for us. We were given a cell phone and instructed to call when we wer ready to get picked up. Unlike at Cayo Espanto, where there are stratgeically placed mosquito killers, there were none on this island and giant biting flies were very eager to bite my sunlotioned body. They even followed me way out into the ocean as I tried to escape them. These things were like 5 times the size of a normal housefly. I was pretty miserable on that little trip.

Our plunge pool was fantastic and everything was seriously the best ever. I am definatley spoiled after that trip. After Cayo Espanto we went on to stay at Blancaneaux Lodge and then Trutle Inn. Both pale in comparison to what you get at Cayo.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lksium19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Absolutely incredible place! We knew that it was going to be exceptional when we were greeted by the 'housemen' with pina coladas ready and waiting!! This really was the ultimate stay in terms of privacy, paradise and pampering. It was fantastic! The food was award winning / Michelen star standard and the chef had no qualms about substituting various dishes if we preferred - incredible. The villas were spacious and beautiful and the location was just absolutely out of this world. The only area that we found lacking was the service from the office manager / resort manager. On arriving at Cayo Espanto, we made if very clear that we wanted to speak with the dive master in order to work out when the best time to go diving would be (this was on the Monday) - only by chasing several times were we eventually introduced...by this point it was the Thursday and we literally had one day when we could go diving, which was a great shame. We also found that there were a couple of things we had to keep reminding the office manager / house men about, which you wouldn't expect. If you want to be pampared completely (ie. not having to call using the walkie talkie every hour) then be sure to include this on the pre-arrival questionnaire. Overall, we had the most wonderful, romantic, indulgent and out of this world stays at Cayo Espanto and I would definately like to go back!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank smudge89
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 1 February 2010

After many months of research we were between Tahiti and Belize and Cayo Espanto was our choice. The location is a bit of travel on planes and boats, but very much worth the trouble. The staff meets you and escorts you by boat to your island villa. The decor is a little more rustic than some may expect, but you feel very comfortable in the tropical surroundings.

The views are exquisite and the food was incredible! Our house man Obed was wonderful. Although please note that its somewhat difficult to have full privacy while in and around your villa, due to the intense level of service.

We highly recommend the snorkeling tour at hol chan and shark ray alley. A guide meets you at your dock and takes you directly to the underwater parks and snorkels with you while pointing out every type of marine life you can imagine.

The only disappointment we experienced was the sea lice that live in the water around this island. Even with the lotion they provided, the sea lice attach to you immediately upon entering the water. This discouraged us from swimming or wading in the incredibly beckoning waters surrounding the island. Also, you need to beware of the lice when kayaking and sailing around the island. One other caution to note is that if you do enter the very shallow waters around the villa/dock there are poisonous rays that camouflage well in the sand.

We actually did not spend much time away from the island during our stay since we were headed to San Pedro next - but the resort's shuttle service makes it easy to come and go.

Also note to request to close up the villa before dinner to avoid inevitable mosquitos.

Come with an appetite - the food is amazing!

Truly a romantic place full of tropical luxury and breathtaking views!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KellyNuch
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Ok, I really like to write my reviews while I am still at the hotel so that I am accurate and everything is fresh in my mind.
This place truly is a paradise for those looking for a pampered, luxurious vacation. The food has been outstanding- my husband just turned down lunch, but Obed encouraged him to try the fajitas today because they looked so good. Obed was right, of course. Request him if you go!!! He has been here 10 years and is delightful! I also got to meet the famous Germann as well as he drove us by boat to our remote picnic, which is a must!
Everything has pretty much been said about the island- beautiful, remote and very quiet. So, i will focus on the service and my "very recent" experience.
We arrived to the usual waving hands after everything was swiftly handled for us at the various airports. We were shown to our room, which I felt I already knew due to much research! Within minutes, a huge plate of quesadillas arrived. Waiting for us was the cooler, well iced, and the box fan that I requested.
The next day, I enjoyed a massage before we took out the hobie cat to the uninhabited island nearby. There it was, written out in palm fronds,"welcome Melissa and Kevin" -
are you kidding? I was just as surprised to see the beautiful designs drawn in the sand every day, all throughout the island.
Unfortunately, the mosquitos wreaked havoc on me. Obed came to my rescue by bringing me bug patches, and, after he could see the bites looking pretty bad(think chicken pox) he ordered a tube of antbiotic cream from the pharmacy in San Pedro. This after various staff members brought by Claritin and calamine lotion from their own homes without request... He also brought me a huge bottle of aloe when he noticed i was a bit red(we ran out of sunscreen on the picnic-bring more than you think you need!)Yes, this is the true spirit of service and people caring about their guests. The laundry has been taken away to be ready for packing as I write this.
As I sit looking at this beautiful view, beside my perfectly heated pool the same color as the water and my husband enjoys U of TN basketball(a first for us outside the country) I must say this has been the most delicious vacation ever!
We also enjoyed the island's dog, Buddy. He was happy to be your companion for the stay if you are missing your own- he especially seems to show up at meal time! For those that knew Salty, he has retired.
I am more than happy to answer any questions and will post pictures when I return-just go!

Speaking of Obed, here goes the list of special things he has done for me/us.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank melissamce
San Francisco,CA
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We went to Cayo Espanto almost 2 years ago (I'm finally contributing a bunch of reviews) and I'm delighted to see that judging from most reviews it is still the incredible place we experienced.

We loved the personalized luxury of Cayo Espanto, where all our meals, activities, dining were totally private. We were never even aware of other guests on the island.

We've been to several places with butler service (e.g. Jade Mountain St Lucia, Rosewood Mayakoba) but I feel that it's really at Cayo Espanto that the concept works best. It's also the resort that works hardest to personalize the experience to your preferences.

We also enjoyed some incredible diving (again private).

My husband picked this as the place to propose to me. He couldn't have picked a more perfect place.

(PS we stayed in Casa Manana and we preferred being on that side of the island overlooking nothing but the Caribbean sea. On the other side you can see land and some other houses).

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JohnSFDC
Atlanta
Reviewed 4 January 2010

This was a perfect place to celebrate our anniversary. Total relaxation and an escape from reality. The food was out of this world. Some of the best food we have ever had. The staff waited on our every want. Our villa was breath taking and the bed was so comfortable that the only thing that could get me out was the delicious breakfast that I knew was waiting. Our only complaint is that we had to leave this paradise! Worth the money and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Momof2boysAtlanta
Palm Beach
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Absolutely, positively unbelievable. Worth every penny (and even more).

They had our favorite music playing when we arrived.

We actually had 7 course dinners. You have got to try the Creme Brulee and the Souffles. The eggs benedict and juevos rancheros were great.

Service is the best in the world.

We have been several times. Going back in March.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple