Banyan Bay Suites
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 8 December 2010

The Villas at Banyan Bay are amazing. The units are wonderful, the grounds beautiful, and the staff most helpful. This was our third trip in three years and we will continue going back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 December 2010

The first night we didn't have any hot water, we called the front desk and it was 15 minutes later they sent a person to fix it...then the front desk called 30 minutes later to make sure it was working. The location for us was nice not too close and not too far from downtown and we found we could walk all the way there on the beach. Rico's is a nice place to eat and I found the breakfast menu to be my favorite. The pool is really just for cooling off in, not really big enough to do any serious swimming in, but the younger kids will find it adequate.

If this is your first visit to Belize a few things you should know is this is not Mexico and prices are much higher for restaurants, drinks, transportation, etc. Also your cost to visit the ruins, cave tubing, lip-line trips are going to cost more from San Pedro due to the cost of getting to the mainland. A great guide is a must, in my opinion, and we worked with Mark Cal who is a native Mayan. Mark has tons of knowledge of Belize and can set up any type of trip, or trips, you want.

We were at Banyan Bay for a week and did an activity nearly every day which our kids loved…we did 2 different ruins, fishing, snorkeling, and shopping.

3  Thank RandyMidwest
Reviewed 22 November 2010

My family loved our stay at Banyan Bay! Very comfortable and roomy 2 bedroom condo overlooking the ocean. It was great to have the beach directly outside of door - not all hotels/condos in Ambergris Caye have beach to ocean access... Everything you need is right there - beach, pool, Ricos restaurant on the water, dock for excursion pick ups, dive shop, etc. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful for every request! They will deliver bottled water to your room for a nominal charge and this is recommended as the desalinated water is not too tasty! I would also recommend renting a golf cart if staying here as it is far enough away from town to warrant needing one unless you don't plan to leave the resort much.

Our stay here was great and we will definitely go back!

Reviewed 8 November 2010

we love our time share at banyan bay and look forward to coming year after year. the grounds have been nicely maintained. the rooms are spacious and clean. the beds are very comfortable. the customer service is excellent. the food at Rico's Restaurant has improved tremendously. It was so good this year we ordered everyday for the adults. the pool is perfect for young children and adults. the beach is kept clean. we brought our friends this year and they loved it too.

Reviewed 30 September 2010

Stayed here for a week with the hus' for vacation. This place was recommended by someone "in the know" so we didn't spend too much time researching other options. Overall I was pleased with Banyon Bay.
Likes: Condo was large for the price. We have two bedrooms which was nice so we could be strech out and used the extra room for luggage/storage. Two bathrooms were nice for getting ready. Cleaned every day while we were out. Air conditioning was devine! Kitchen was nice - although we didn't eat in much. Dock pick up was nice for all of our excursions, but pretty much every place offers this.
Dislikes: Quite a trek from the main village. You definately need a golf cart - which didn't come cheap. I didn't interact with the staff much (I rarey saw any!). I wouldn't say the front desk people were rude, but I wouldn't say polite either. Not very welcoming, just kind of answered direct questions and certainly not very helpful. This may reflect the whole laid back "whatevs" feeling that you see throughout the island. Seemed kind of wierd about thier towels? Same thing with the dock staff - I kind of felt like they were doing me a favor by booking my excursions. I saw two HUGE roaches in our room one day. Rico's looked disappointing. We only had drinks here our first night and utilized the many dining options in town for our meals. I had read reviews that said the pool here was the best on the island. If that's the case I would hate to see everyone else's pool. It looked about like an average Holiday Inn pool in the States. There was the ghost of a swim up bar but it looked like it hadn't been used in years. Small thing, but our TV was OLD SCHOOL and tiny. Didn't use this much, however.

I would stay here again and it's really not a bad place, but after seeing some of the options available on San Pedro, I would probably check them out first before returning.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BandN129
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Wow! What an amazing trip! Belize is so beautiful! The Villas at Banyan Bay were pretty nice and a great place to stay.

I have seen reviews on here about some people getting the "older" units and how they were very unhappy. I believe we got one of the "older" units, a poolside suite. I'm guessing the oceanview ones are the fancier ones. There were a few things that were wrong with the unit but in no way had a negative effect on our vacation as some of the other reviewers may have suggested. One of the burners on the stove did not work, one of the outlets in the master bathroom didn't work, the dresser drawers were beat up (but still functioning), and the blinds had seen better days. Other than these little things, we found the unit to be nice and roomy. The floor was nice tile and the kitchen/bathroom countertops were nice granite (I wouldn't really call that "old"). There was a full kitchen (oven, stove, microwave, toaster, blender, dishes, silverware) which was great. The AC was extremely strong and the room was always cool (outside temp = 90F+ and humid). Had we been upset with the room and thought it would ruin our vacation, I'm pretty confident that we would have been able to change units as the staff was helpful and obviously saw the importance of customer service. We were already settled in and unpacked when we discovered this stuff and didn't care to make a big deal of it.

ALL of the staff were very friendly (front desk, maids, landscapers, wait staff at Rico's). They were always there to greet us with a big hello and a smile. They were very friendly and helpful when we spoke to them and got advice on dining, activities, etc. There was internet (had to pay) in the lobby of the hotel. The staff was very good about recording our time as you have to pay by 15min increments if I remember correctly. I kept track for the week and we ended up getting charged much less than we should have. We rented a golf cart (at the hotel) for a few hours one day and drove around town. This is definately the way to go if you can afford it. Again, they gave us a break on the rent. However, I think you can get a better deal in town. So, we rented bikes (at the hotel) for the rest of the week to save money and get some exercise. Yet again, they gave us a good, less than it should have been, rate for the week.

The hotel itself is not huge, which we thought was nice. It was very quiet as there were only a few other couples staying in the whole place. The pool is also not huge but nice and there were a lot of lounge chairs around. There was a swim up bar that was not opened, bummer. Maybe they open during busier travel times. The beach is beautiful and only steps away from the hotel. They also have groundskeepers that rake the debris that washes up on the beach. They also rake the sand every morning to make it nice and smooth. Pretty cool.

Rico's is right there and a pretty cool spot. Their breakfast is good and reasonably priced. So is their lunch. The dinner menu gets a little pricier though. Entrees started at probably $15US ($30BZ) and went up to probably $40US. That's not astronomical but it's high for down there. The food is good though. They also do the room service for a fee. There is also a dive shop right by Rico's where you can set up trips (snorkel, dive, fishing, cave tours, zip line, jungle tours), which was nice and convenient but seemed to be a bit more expensive than the guys on the side of the road downtown. I don't think they are allowed to negotiate.

All in all, The Villas at Banyan Bay was a great experience and a great place to stay. Beautiful place, beautiful country, about 1.5 miles from town, and nice surroundings. However, I see that it has earned a Gold Crown rating from RCI, which I understand is supposed to be the best of the best. BB was very nice, great staff, a great place to stay, I'd definitely stay there again, but I'm not sure the unit we stayed in deserved a Gold Crown rating. Wherever you decide to stay, you will have an amazing time in San Pedro! What an awesome place with really nice locals!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wald911
Reviewed 26 August 2010

great, roomy suites. Felt very at-home there, yet walking out of the front door you were in an exotic tropical location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family