“Staff and owners are the hospitality masters”
Review of El Pescador Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Pescador Resort
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My wife (not a fisher) visited El Pescador for a week in April. From start to finish, the owners and staff at El Pescador created a truly unique experience. Each member of the El Pescador team was extremely attentive to our every need, no matter how unusual our request. Miss Judy expertly managed every aspect of our stay and Ed coordinated a flats fishing experience that was second to none. Not being a fishing enthusiast did not detract from my wife's experience....the resort was very relaxing with activities that included kayaking and snorkeling. A big 'thank you' to the El Pescador team, we'll be back for more fun soon!

1  Thank interestedinmango

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Excellent atmosphere, staff and facilities for fishermen. The rooms are basic, no tv, phone etc., but comfortable and clean. The lodge is organized so that guests socialize together after fishing, so as a solo person you don't feel alone. As a fishermen there are lots of like minded people to hang with. It is expensive and somewhat inflexible on fishing as guides and days must be booked in advance without regard to weather, I had 2 days of big wind followed by a day of rain and lightning so permit and tarpon fishing were difficult, but there are alway lots of bonefish. The guides are good and knowledgable.

Do your homework on weather and fishing in advance to make the most of your timing and trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank globalpgm
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I were greeted at the San Pedro airport by a member of the El Pescador staff who transferred our bags to a boat at a nearby dock. After providing us with a couple "cold ones", he took us on a 10 minute boat ride up the coast to the lodge where other staff members took our bags to our room. We booked this trip through Orvis so I knew our accomodations would be great and we weren't disappointed. The private villa we stayed in was huge! It had a large balcony that overlooked one of 3 pools and the beach. The villa had a huge kitchen and living room area which was nice to mix cocktails and lounge around in after a long day on the flats fishing. That evening Steve, the manager, who happened to be a former resident of Pittsburgh, explained the fishing itinerary as well as dinnig and other information. Dinner is served family style which is nice as long as the guests you end up sitting with have similar interests. We eneded up getting stuck with a group the first evening that were there on vacation to scuba and unfortunately lost our interests. The dinner meals were ok but on 2 of the 3 nights we stayed they had Mexican buffet which isn't our favorite. The beef fillets the last night were more to our liking. Breakfast at El Pescador is wonderful. The kitchen staff are very accomodating and will fix you a great breakfast. The first day I fished alone so I could see whether my wife, who has only fly fished once before, would get along. My guide was Tomas, a long time native and guide of the area. The first day's fishing was great from the standpoint of seeing and getting shots at fish. Tomas provided me with lots of shots at Bonefish, which I managed to land 10 - 12. I also got a few shots at Permit which I blew because of my inaccurate casts. Tomas was teasing me that I casted like a "Gringo". It was a long day because I was the only fisherman in the boat. I was glad to get back to the lodge and rest my weary arm. My wife had a wonderful time lounging around the pool, taking walks on the beach, and receiving casting lessons from Lori-Ann. The second day was special. My wife caught her first Bonefish and I got to rest my sore arm. Tomas put plenty of beer in the cooler and took us on a beautiful ride through a winding canal that separates mexico and Belize and was hand cut by the Mayans hundreds of years ago. Our last dinner evening was more enjoyable as we sat with a couple of real fly fishing characters who provided us with some great stories. My wife got her Bonefishing pin which was also a treat. The fly shop and the outdoor bar are also very nice. If you like to have cocktails early in the day, make sure you have some in your room because the bar doesn't open till 2:00 PM. The gift shop has a great selection of shirts, caps, and other apparel. In summation, the staff was very accomodating and friendly; the accomodations were wonderful although the bathrooms (2 in the villas) were a little small; The dinners were ok but I would rather have more selection; The numbers of fish, including Permit are great; the size of the Bonefish are grenerally smaller than the Bahamas; I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry D
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This was my second visit to El Pescador, I went with a friend the first time and it was so good that I have just taken my wife and 15yr old daughter Georgina. We had the most amazing time, the staff were great, very friendly and welcoming. We normally holiday in Mallorca and this is so different, the resort, the fishing, the wildlife were all fantastic, it really is paradise, have a watch of my preview film at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_5HF2pRjUA to give you a flavour of the place. We are already booking for next year, love it and lovely people. It you want to experience something a little different but still in comfort and be taken well care of......book it......NOW

Room Tip: We stayed in a private villa this time on the beach that sleeps 6 in three double bedrooms, rather t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DanConnew
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The major focus of El Pescador's activities revolve around fishing, predominantly fly fishing. That being said, this is no 'fish camp'. I found the staff to be exceptional, the food outstanding, the general environs very pleasant, and the facility to be very clean. The only thing I would advise prospective guests is that the villas at El Pescador are superior to the lodge rooms, especially the lodge rooms on the first floor. There, you tend to pickup noises from upstairs. But, that is the only negative consideration that we encountered on our trip. Our guide, Emir, was outstanding and able to put us on fish during a few days of difficult fishing conditions. Lori-Ann, El Pescador's Director of Fishing, brings great value to the equation by offering helpful assistance to anglers and generally makes you feel at home. Mariano makes the best mango coladas in the Carribean.
Steve is always there to offer assistance with whatever you need. Jim always made us comfortable at dinner. Hmmmm....get the picture? We came to know many members of the staff who were all outstanding. We did not participate in any underwater activities, but after visiting with Alonzo we are confident that there are plenty of opportunities for excellent snorkeling or diving. A nice pool overlooks the beachfront. The whole experience made us feel 'special' during our stay. Accordingly, we're looking at a return trip next year.

Room Tip: Stay away from 1st floor lodge rooms. Go for the villas first and second floor lodge rooms second.
4  Thank fishinrascal1
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my experiences at El Pescador. Staff were professional, friendly and ever willing to go the extra mile. Fishing guides were outstanding. Access to Mayan ruins, the reef and other adventures was easy. Food was outstanding. Rates very reasonable. All in all, I will be back.

Room Tip: All of them are great.
2  Thank Canvasback1938
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Everyone at El Pescador was helpful and friendly. I was unsure of fishing for 4 days but it was such a wonderful experience I would go back again. The food was excellent and the entire staff went out of there way to make sure we had everything we needed

Room Tip: We chose a villa that had an ocean view. It was beautiful
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple