“Lied to :(”

Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Colorado
“Lied to :(”
Reviewed 22 April 2008

My wife & daughter & I booked a family vacation to El Pescador Resort for a 8 day stay this last March. Day 1- We arrived it was really windy & raining but HOT, we are from Colorado. The first night the power was out and we had no AC in our room:( Since it was windy and the fishing was not good the fisherman were hitting the bar hard, we were kept up most of the first night :(
Day 2 - We left on a excersion at 7am, breakfast was at 6 am after being kept up most of the night. That day was fun we saw the ruins. "paid for out of pocket." My daughter wanted to swim in the ocean but you really could not swim anywhere by the resort due to the trash and debree along the shore, to get out to the reef you would need to book an excersion to get out to the reef. Between the shore and the reef it is a highway of boats so you can't just swim out their. We expressed our concerns about the lodge not really being a family friendly spot, but more of a mans fishing lodge. Steve the owner said he would refund our remaining stay. Paying $910.63 /day with out excersions, we told him we did want to leave and left the next morning, staying 2 nights total. We received a refund of $1779.60 out of $7285.00
I would not go back.

Stayed March 2008
14 Thank ColoradoJim08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Wimberley, TX
Reviewed 19 March 2008

Last year, we determined that we would get PADI certified for SCUBA and a friend said we should go to Belize to "test" our certification. "OK, sounds good to me.":

I went to the WWW and spent a long time researching the possibilities. Based on many criteria, I finally decided on El Pescador. It is a little pricey but it seemed to have everything our party wanted. The six of us rented a two-story villa.

It was very nice. The kitchen was very modern and fully functional. We had three bedrooms (two down and one up) and three bathrooms. Balconies accompanied all rooms.

The primary focus of this resort is fishing. We did not partake. Due to a marital relationship (I surmise) they have a dive master, Alonzo, the son-in-law of the proprietor. He knows what he is doing. We took six dives over a five-day period and were NOT disappointed.

At the end of the day, what I really liked about this location was the fact that it was quiet and secluded yet fully functional. I was extremely relaxed and did not want to leave.

There are many details about our trip that I am not including but if you have any questions, please contact me...I will be happy to answer.

• Liked — quite, secluded, great staff
  • Disliked — poor internet connection, access to town
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at El Pescador around mid-August (luckily getting out right before Hurricane Dean!). We are not avid fishers, although did enjoy the one day of fishing we did do. This is definitely a fisher's resort! The grounds are beautiful, and the staff are super friendly! I loved the fact that there was no TV to bother us and that we had the communal dinners each night. The food was absolutely fabulous! We met lots of interesting people and had great converstaions! I learned a lot about fishing! : ) The owners were never present as others have described, but Bob, the resort's host, was incredibly nice and went out of his way to get to know everyone. He even knew our schedules for the next day. I would recommend the all inclusive deal, otherwise would eat in town or somewhere less expensive (the all-inclusive is totally worth it). This is a very laid back, mellow place where everyone is a friend. On our last night a group of about 6 came who were a bit more of the partying type than the rest of the resort. For those of you who are partyers, this is not the place for you. Most of us are asleep by 9 because almost everyone is up by 6 to go fishing or other excursions.

All that being said, there were a couple of hang ups that may prevent me from returning. The biggest issue I had was with the bed. The room itself was nice, especially since you're really not in there all that often. But the bed was THE worst bed I've ever slept on. It was hard as a rock (which I can live with) but also incredibly noisy. It reminded me of the sound that those old plastic sofa covers made when you sat on them. Consequently, every time I moved I woke up. Every time my boyfriend moved I woke up. I did not have a decent night's sleep the entire trip. I can live with a lot of things when travelling, but I need a decent bed--especially for the cost of the resort! The housekeeping was another issue that wasn't quite up to par. Again, not nearly as big an issue as the bed and would not prevent me from returning, but still an issue. They sometimes took our towells without replacing them, and on one occassion completely skipped cleaning the bathroom so didn't take our dirty towells at all! We also ran out of toilet paper one day because they never left an extra roll.

If you do go (especially during the off season), make sure you ask for a room on the second floor or on the first floor with an empty room above you. On our last night we had people directly above us and it sucked. You can hear every single step! Other advice: if you do the rocky point beach BBQ (fun!!), make sure they actually take you to rocky point. We went to some ghetto beach park that was not kept up with a big dog tied up in the middle (with his dog [--] everywhere-yuck). Make sure you have at least 2 cans of OFF--the bugs will eat you alive.

Bottom line: I would go back in a hearbeat if they replace the beds. Everything else I can deal with for such a great place.

Stayed August 2007
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Extremely friendly and personal service, everybody goes out of their way to make your stay perfect. Excellent food, comfy (though not very large) rooms, beautiful hotel grounds. It's pretty pricey compared to San Pedro in town places, but the tranquility is definitely worth it. Fishing focused, but we were not fishing and felt quite at home.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OlyaDallas
atlanta
Reviewed 13 June 2007

Great resort with an outstanding dive op. El Pescador the resort where unda the sea is fishing lodge that has an exceptional Dive operation. Outstanding diving, best Dive Master (Alonzo) I have had in about 50 dives.
Alonzo is extraoridinarly proficient, a great teacher, safety/environmentally Conscious. What makes Unda the Sea standout Is you dive in a small group--I only dived with two divers or less (for eight consecutive dives). Consequently, You get personal attention "unda the sea" making your dives immensely enjoyable.
Enjoyed the full meal plan, eaten family style with the owners. You enjoy dining this way as the owners share their knowledge of local Belizean culture. Sports fishermen/women and divers regale you with their fishing/diving tales. And "Bob" the lodge's expert fishing host joins in to add levity to the conversation. Meal Plan includes all meals (B,L,D) along with local Drinks (Beer, non alcoholic, rum). Food was excellent (Fish, Pork, BBQ), delicious Soups, best deserts I have had including 5 Star cruises.

Accomodations were Clean and comfortable, A/C worked well, no TV/Radio--really encourges one to Relax. Service was over the top--they learn your name, and drink preferences by Day two of a week's stay.

Strongly recommend families, couples and singles consider a stay at the family run, Customer focused fishing&diving lodge--El Pescador.

• Liked — food, service and diving, diving, diving
  • Disliked — bugs
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank divefangeorgia
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 13 March 2007

I had not been to El Pescador for at least 27 years when my friend and I returned there on March 1 to go fishing for four days. The place is very well run, clean with good meals. The staff went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and well taken care of. There were many people at El Pescador with wives and/or children. There are many activities other than fishing which the staff was happy to arrange for the guests. Pescador is a first class operation and is a bargain compared with other similiar places.

1 Thank Wirggley's dad
chicago
Reviewed 26 January 2007

My family stayed at El Pescador for a week. If you are looking for a vacation resort that is remote "light" yet close enough to San Padro to have city options then this is the place for you. The villas are the best accomodations that my family of 5 have ever had. They are big and have an island feel. This is a place for fishing, scuba and relaxing. The Capricorn restaurant next store is great. The crab claws are the best I have ever had. The staff is attentive. Make sure you meet Cesar in the bar, a quality guy! The road from town is almost unpassible. Come here before it is paved.

• Liked — roomy and tropical feel
  • Disliked — na.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family