My husband and 24-year-old son just returned from El Pescador on Ambergris Caye in Belize, where they spent a blissful week fishing every day from the crack of dawn until sunset before returning to the hotel for a fantastic meal served family-style with the 60 or so other guests. There also seems to be an equal number of super-friendly staff in this family-owned resort.
Family is an operative word along with bonefish, tarpon and permit. Three generations of the hosts' family live on the property and so the feeling of a warm, extended family permeates El Pescador. While my husband and son were there, they met another father-son pair as well as vacationing brothers and a few families (the moms and daughters mainly shopped and took excursions to the Mayan ruins, etc). There is also excellent snorkeling and scuba diving.
There are 13 rooms in the main lodge and then eight, two-story, 3-bedroom, 3-bath villas that can be rented as 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms. The villas have cathedral ceilings of Belizean hardwood and coral stone floors. The views are drop-dead spectacular.
Only two slight downsides to this particular trip: Neither male in my family got the Grand Slam of fishing (bonefish, permit and tarpon). They didn't even see any permit and my son let his lone tarpon torpedo away but they had great fun catching, shall we say, a boatload of bonefish? The only person to walk away with the Grand Slam last week was a professional fisherman so we can assume that says more about skill than the paucity of tarpon and permit around Ambergris Caye.
The other downside (again, slight) was the Internet service was spotty so it was several days before the guys got a chance to bike about 5 miles to an Internet bar on the beach where they (finally) let me know they arrived safely -- while downing conch fritters and Cervezas.
They take care of EVERYTHING at El Pescador from the moment you arrive in Belize City to the short flight to San Pedro and the water taxi to El Pescador. Excellent lunches are provided for the fishing days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Pescador’s beachfront lodge and villas are situated on over 45 private acres with ambiance, specializing in fishing, diving and eco-adventures. We are family-owned and operated with emphasis on creating camaraderie and an authentic Belizean experience. El Pescador is proud of our philosophy to protect and nurture friendship, adventure and the environment. El Pescador has long been known as a world-class fishing destination offering outstanding flats fishing for bonefish, tarpon and permit. El Pescador has been the only resort on Ambergris Caye specializing in saltwater flats fishing since 1974. Since coming under new ownership in 1997, the resort has established itself as an eco-friendly tropical getaway, including a commitment to offset all carbon emissions generated by its guests flying to Belize. Donations are made on behalf of guests to a local Belizean non-profit organization, Green Reef Environmental Educational and Coastal Research Institute, to offset the carbon emissions used to travel to Belize. El Pescador was also among the key organizations to implement the new Law protecting bonefish, tarpon and permit as catch and release species. This is the most all encompassing legislation of its kind worldwide. It is great news for Belizeans, anglers, tourists and conservationists alike. El Pescador is a serene and gracious establishment on the doorstep of the world’s largest living Barrier Reef. El Pescador offers accommodations in guest rooms within its colonial style, mahogany main lodge, as well as in 1, 2, and 3 bedroom luxury beachfront villas. The villas are perfect accommodations for couples seeking romance and privacy, and for families and small groups traveling together. All rooms and villas are beachfront and have unobstructed views of the Caribbean blue waters. In addition to unequaled fishing, this first-rate resort offers all the eco-adventures which take full advantage of Belize’s exotic flora and fauna. Scuba diving, snorkeling, manatee watching, cave-tubing and zip-lining, and Maya archaeological explorations are just a small assortment of the activities available while staying at El Pescador. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your El Pescador Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Pescador Hotel San Pedro
- El Pescador San Pedro
- El Pescador Resort Belize/San Pedro