“Fabulous June destintion wedding at El Pescador!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of El Pescador Resort

El Pescador Resort
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 28 June 2008

We just returned from El Pescador where we were married last Saturday the 21st. Joining us were 35 of our closest friends and family- none of whom had ever been to Belize. My concern was that, although we are fans of the heat and charming quirks of the country, that many of our guests would not find it so palatable. El Pescador SO EXCEEDED OUR HOPES AND EXPECTATIONS (which are VERY high to begin with) that no one wanted to leave. The staff was more attentive than any resort I have experienced in Belize. Charming, affable...very accomodating.
Our villa was lovely- as was my mom's, sisters, friends, we all had villa envy!!!
The food was the best I had ever had in the country (been to Belize 6 times). Our welcome dinner was a beautiful buffet of the freshest seafood, chicken, lovely breads, beans, vegetables, and so many options. Our wedding dinner was better than I have had at any wedding I can remember (we did surf and turf).
All of our excursions were organized, timely, well managed, and FUN ( I went on the snorkeling catamaran)!!!
My niece (13years old) even got certified during all of this! The onsite dive master took such care with her- she has such a sense of accomplishment.
My Uncle fly-fished and said that the guide was incredible.
All in all, I would suggest El Pescdor to anyone- whether looking for the best diving, snorkeling, fishing, or just great service, atmosphere and accommodations (or wedding!!).

• Stayed: June 2008
There are newer reviews for El Pescador Resort

Reviewed 26 June 2008

We were at El Pescaddor in November 2007 where we spent two weeks for our wedding. The location, amenities and staff were incredible. They hosted 76 people for our wedding it is was an incredible experience. The newly renovated rooms and exiquisite villas make it very comfortable. The swimming pools are great, the bar too convenient and the food is outstanding. We picked El Pescador to host our wedding because we had visited on several occassions and love it. Our guests enjoyed so many activities including scuba diving with on site dive instructor Alonzo Flota and his team at Under Da Sea. The resort is family owned and they treat you like family, it is great. The fishing is world class and the ability to do anything from the resort is great. Although, most of the time we just love to hang out and enjoy the beautiful setting. We are expecting our first child this fall and are already planning to head back in the spring with our baby!

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 26 June 2008

El Pescador is truly a fishing resort, my husband and I were told that the diving master was outstanding and I have to say that we both disagreed with this. I was so put off by is attitude that I chose not to do the PADI certification. He had the typical latin male attitude and was very rude not only to us but also to the wife of one of the other guests. Problem was, he is the owner's husband and since it is a family run resort we chose not to complain about him. Also, there was no mention whatsoever about this location being an eco-resort (I'm not sure how this rating was acquired).

The town of San Pedro is not a nice place to visit, we had two unpleasant experiences there, the road are horrendous!

All told, Belize is very expensive with only a few nice areas to visit, we stayed as close to the beach as possible as this was one of the nicer areas. Our excursions were good, the locals don't seem to like or trust the tourists and seem to expect tips at every turn.

I was not impressed with my trip to Belize, I would not recommend this country or resort as a relaxing destination.

V. Wirthman
Northern Virginia

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank twotravelingdoggies
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Yes the staff is friendly but that is the only positive in our six day stay. The rooms are hardly bigger than the beds, and they control the air conditioning, no TV unless you stay in the $400 plus rooms. The internet doesn't work more that it does work. Six feet of beach but you can't get into the water because of the sea grass. Very limited menu for breakfast and lunch; dinner offers only one choice and served at 6:45 only. Very expensive for what you get. My advice is to shop around, there are many better values for less money.

• Stayed: May 2008
6  Thank TwoHawk
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Here's why you should stay at this lodge
1 - You have no choice
2 - You are a (rich) snob who has a lot of fly fishing equipment and likes to drink heavily.
3 - You want to stay in Belize but have it feel like somewhere else.
4 - You like to be abused while on vacation by the management, pay more than is reasonable, be bullied in many ways, and pestered in others.
5 - You think that the term "hospitality industry" doesn't apply to this lodge.
6-You want to stay in Belize in a lodge with no Belizean soul.
7 – You want to stay in a family run lodge that is not interested in catering to families. The facts are as follows:

I am an avid fisherman - but not a fly fisherman. My family visited in early April. Many other reviews rave about Bob - the fishing coordinator. By the time we arrived towards the end of the Spring Break period, Bob was a rude, burned out guy who did not provide any fishing information - only abuse. He said his boats were all booked up, and his guides unavailable - they forgot to tell us that when we booked. He didn’t want us to talk to other guests to see if they would share a boat - he said - "everyone here comes to fish alone and they don't want you (a spin fisherman) along". He promised to give me a cancellation, but when one came up - he did not. As we were checking out (escaping) early we talked to a guest who said he was bored fishing alone and would have loved to have had company - in fact - each day he came back early and did not use his guide/boat for the full day cause he did not have a partner to fish with. One morning I wanted to have breakfast at a particular table and the owner - Steve was in my place (face) - Guests come last at this lodge.
If you want to come to Belize to get away from everything that is Belize - stay here - fly fish to your heart's content - but realize that this is not a place for families - they have no idea what hospitality means - and you can revel in having gone to a beautiful country with great people - and were able to ignore it all. Or you can go down the beach either direction and find the real Belize.
Like it says on the fire cracker package - "light fuse - get away".

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank GrahamGriffin
Reviewed 22 April 2008

My wife & daughter & I booked a family vacation to El Pescador Resort for a 8 day stay this last March. Day 1- We arrived it was really windy & raining but HOT, we are from Colorado. The first night the power was out and we had no AC in our room:( Since it was windy and the fishing was not good the fisherman were hitting the bar hard, we were kept up most of the first night :(
Day 2 - We left on a excersion at 7am, breakfast was at 6 am after being kept up most of the night. That day was fun we saw the ruins. "paid for out of pocket." My daughter wanted to swim in the ocean but you really could not swim anywhere by the resort due to the trash and debree along the shore, to get out to the reef you would need to book an excersion to get out to the reef. Between the shore and the reef it is a highway of boats so you can't just swim out their. We expressed our concerns about the lodge not really being a family friendly spot, but more of a mans fishing lodge. Steve the owner said he would refund our remaining stay. Paying $910.63 /day with out excersions, we told him we did want to leave and left the next morning, staying 2 nights total. We received a refund of $1779.60 out of $7285.00
I would not go back.

Stayed: March 2008
14  Thank ColoradoJim08
Reviewed 19 March 2008

Last year, we determined that we would get PADI certified for SCUBA and a friend said we should go to Belize to "test" our certification. "OK, sounds good to me.":

I went to the WWW and spent a long time researching the possibilities. Based on many criteria, I finally decided on El Pescador. It is a little pricey but it seemed to have everything our party wanted. The six of us rented a two-story villa.

It was very nice. The kitchen was very modern and fully functional. We had three bedrooms (two down and one up) and three bathrooms. Balconies accompanied all rooms.

The primary focus of this resort is fishing. We did not partake. Due to a marital relationship (I surmise) they have a dive master, Alonzo, the son-in-law of the proprietor. He knows what he is doing. We took six dives over a five-day period and were NOT disappointed.

At the end of the day, what I really liked about this location was the fact that it was quiet and secluded yet fully functional. I was extremely relaxed and did not want to leave.

There are many details about our trip that I am not including but if you have any questions, please contact me...I will be happy to answer.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family