“Perfect fly fishing resort”
Review of El Pescador Resort

El Pescador Resort
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 26 October 2013

THE PLACE to get started with flats fishing. Easy travel, friendly home atmosphere: El Pescador delivers the goods on all counts. Relaxed ambience but the entire operation is exceptionally well run with near military precision. Everything from the airport water taxi to the meals to the fishing instruction was on time and first class. The rooms are clean and cozy, the grounds well maintained. The setting and layout make this small resort feel private and isolated. I rarely take an inclusive package, but the value here is unbeatable. The food is fresh, local, and varied. The service is very personal and attentive to individual needs. The bar and bartender are great. This is a fly fishing oriented resort and everyone works hard to help even novice fishermen be successful. Detailed introduction, daily casting lessons, and experienced local guides make your visit an "immersion course" in saltwater fly fishing. By the way, the fishing is superb: bonefish everywhere, permit from school sized to trophy, native tarpon population available year-round. I'm going back this summer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GTS53

Reviewed 22 October 2013

As a first time saltwater angler with a non fishing wife I was a little apprehensive about our trip to Belize but I needn't have been. Our experience at El Pescador was superb, they could not have been more knowledgeable, helpful or friendly. My guide was great and the casting instructor brilliant. Food, room were excellent and hotel staff couldn't be more friendly We both had a great time and will return there when we get the chance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Perfect long weekend trip for 4 buddies. We have been doing these trips for awhile and like to have an activity to do during the day and this hit the spot. We did the all inclusive package, so all food, local drinks, and fishing was included. The guides that we had were passionate about the guest catching fish. We fished 2 days and caught around 70 fish all in (and 3 of the 4 of us had never fly fished before!). It was a blast. Ed the manager of the resort made us feel right at home. Highly recommend and I know I will be planning a return trip at some point.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2013

After planning over 30 flyfishing trips to the Florida Keys, Montauk and the Outer Banks, this trip was our first that we didnt plan ourselves : lodging, activities, meals, transportation was all done through Orvis Travel and El Pescador and they did it all in grand style. Everything detail was thought out from Belize City to the orientation on our first day (we went to flyfish) to the award pins if you caught fish and finally to the water taxi to Tropic Air to fly out. They cater to all levels of expertise from the beginner to the more experienced. Isa is a FFF Certified Casting Instructor and Ed (fishing director) is also a flats guide himself in the Florida Keys. They know their stuff! The grounds were maincured, the rooms clean,quiet and cool, the food was outstanding, the guides were great, the bar was great and everyone on the staff knew our names. A comfortable bed was a pleasant end to each day since both of our backs have seen better days.We felt refreshed in the morning after 5 hrs in an airplane the day before. Thats a first for me! It was a great value going during the "off peak" time at a reduced rate. Mike and Kathy

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mike j
Reviewed 10 September 2013

All of the staff are very friendly and more importantly, helpful. All of the rooms are excellent and extremely clean. The standard of the cuisine was very good. I strongly recommend going All Inclusive, thereby obtaining a free bar and 4 meals a day are available, although most substitute lunch for a packed lunch which includes soft drinks and beers. I was visting on my own as I was Fishing, however the very relaxed dining in the evening on large 12-16 family size tables cannot fail to involve you in conversation. Most of the stories over dinner regarding that days activities were an absolute hoot, 1or 2 unprintable.
During my visit there was a newly wed couple, a couple celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary, small and large groups of mixed fisherpeople including children, young single ladies and other couples diving. This superb resort is ideal for absolutely everybody regardless of age, even if you do not fish or dive there are numerous other daily activities available.
Fishing tips, listen to the Fishing Director and your Fishing Guide. Although there are several types of fishing available, if you are a fly fisher, to do yourself justice, practice with a 9 foot, 12 weight, side casting into a wind with a big fly!
I could go on and on, but you need to visit this establishment your selves to appreciate the relaxed, but great fun this resort has to offer regarding any activity you wish to indulge in.
I am an English Publican/Restraunteur with over 35 years experience. Due to other booked and paid for holidays I can not get back until May 2014, need I say more.
Mike Wood, signing off.

Room Tip: When you have had a thoroughly enjoyable day you will have no problem sleeping and it will surprise...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was one of my favorite vacations, ever. Thank you, El Pescador for an amazing week of fishing, dining, kayaking, rum punch drinking, swimming, and memory making! I have never been so sad to leave a hotel. My husband and I stayed at El Pescador for a week and booked 3 days of guided fishing. We also booked a day on Bonefish Island with our friends and spend another day kayaking and wading the flats surrounding the resort. There are plenty of excursions that can be booked through El Pescador too. I highly suggest the Catamaran/Snorkeling tour that goes out to Caye Caulker and back with snorkeling stops on the way.
Outside of the fishing and beautiful surroundings, it is the service and friendly staff that sets El Pescador apart. Ed, the fishing director, is such a warm and wonderful host. Not only did he help me with casting, but he organized our fishing days and gave great advice about flies, fishing spots, etc. Mariano mans the bar everyday and makes a great pina colada! Judy and Marlin are great with helping to plan your days and travel arrangements, and the entire kitchen staff is beyond accomodating. I could go on and on about how much we felt at home here. I guarantee you'll enjoy your stay as much as we did! We miss you guys already...The Coys

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coloradobuckeye
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having read the other review, perhaps my trip was plagued by bad luck. Anyway, here's the summary.

I visited with my wife and baby in Feb '13, staying in a villa. We're fortunate to have visited many of the premier fly fishing destinations around the world, so were looking forward to our stay. I'm realistic about fly fishing, some trips just don't produce fish so this isn't about not catching.

My main issues were that:

1. the food was relatively poor;
2. the kitchen (not the dining room) was dirty. I witnessed the owner's dog wandering in and out;
3. the same dog was frequently in the main swimming pool, which is simply unhygienic;
4. the fishing guides were generally of poor to very poor quality. The "resort" doesn't keep any guide on staff/payroll, so all guides are locals hired on a needs basis. I had one guide so old that he was barely able to pole the skiff.
5. both my baby son and I were diagnosed with salmonella poisoning on our return (a reportable disease). I had recovered during the trip, but my son continued to have symptoms. I contacted the hotel to inform them, but was told that we must have contracted it somewhere else despite our not eating outside the resort for our entire trip. The likelihood of our contracting it elsewhere is negligible.

There's very little to do for the non-fisher. if your partner doesn't fish, look elsewhere.

The hotel looks wonderful in the brochures, but the reality is that the beach is strewn with rubbish up and down the coast (although the beach directly in front of the hotel is swept each day). There is no hard sand to wade out to from the beach, you sink into mud (that once would have been mangrove covered). Once away from the hotel and island the waters are very picturesque (if not particularly fishy).

The female waiting staff were attentive. The female shop staff were poor.

In short, the hotel, fishing, food and beach were all poor. Were it not for the limited availability of flights, we would have returned home well before our due date.

Other people's experiences may differ, but you couldn't pay me to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family