If you are a serious flats angler, especially if you prefer to fly fish, El Pescador is heaven on earth.
The accommodations are comfortable (the villas are probably best for couples, or for folks less focused on fishing) and practical. All units have A/C, fans, screened windows, etc. They also all have well-mounted rod holders (fishing resort!)
The food is very good. Breakfast is ordered from a menu and has some Belezian flair. Lunch for me was always a bag-lun-on-boat affair, ordered the day before and very tasty. Dinners are served at 6:45 pm nightly and are a community affair - all guests at 8-person tables. After fishing, returning to the lodge for Cuban cigars and Belikin beers is always a good way to end the day.
The fishing, of course, is excellent. I fished every day I was at El Pescador, and standard is 8 hours with a guide, on a skiff. Standard pickup time is 7 am, though earlier or later start times can be arranged. Cinoeh (or Cinoe, or Sinoe) was my guide for the week. He has been with El Pescador for 26 years, so he knows the water well! We were on fish every day, even though the weather didn't cooperate. I caught bonefish, snook, and jacks, and had multiple shots at small tarpon. Cinoeh had great boat manners and was lots of fun.
If you're not looking to fish, there's plenty else to do. I didn't do any of it, so I'll leave that to other reviewers.
El Pescador was wonderful to me, and I am sure I'll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Pescador’s beachfront lodge and villas are situated on over 45 private acres with ambiance, specializing in fishing, diving and eco-adventures. We are family-owned and operated with emphasis on creating camaraderie and an authentic Belizean experience. El Pescador is proud of our philosophy to protect and nurture friendship, adventure and the environment. El Pescador has long been known as a world-class fishing destination offering outstanding flats fishing for bonefish, tarpon and permit. El Pescador has been the only resort on Ambergris Caye specializing in saltwater flats fishing since 1974. Since coming under new ownership in 1997, the resort has established itself as an eco-friendly tropical getaway, including a commitment to offset all carbon emissions generated by its guests flying to Belize. Donations are made on behalf of guests to a local Belizean non-profit organization, Green Reef Environmental Educational and Coastal Research Institute, to offset the carbon emissions used to travel to Belize. El Pescador was also among the key organizations to implement the new Law protecting bonefish, tarpon and permit as catch and release species. This is the most all encompassing legislation of its kind worldwide. It is great news for Belizeans, anglers, tourists and conservationists alike. El Pescador is a serene and gracious establishment on the doorstep of the world’s largest living Barrier Reef. El Pescador offers accommodations in guest rooms within its colonial style, mahogany main lodge, as well as in 1, 2, and 3 bedroom luxury beachfront villas. The villas are perfect accommodations for couples seeking romance and privacy, and for families and small groups traveling together. All rooms and villas are beachfront and have unobstructed views of the Caribbean blue waters. In addition to unequaled fishing, this first-rate resort offers all the eco-adventures which take full advantage of Belize’s exotic flora and fauna. Scuba diving, snorkeling, manatee watching, cave-tubing and zip-lining, and Maya archaeological explorations are just a small assortment of the activities available while staying at El Pescador. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your El Pescador Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Pescador Hotel San Pedro
- El Pescador San Pedro
- El Pescador Resort Belize/San Pedro