“Wonderful staff and great location”
Review of SunBreeze Hotel

SunBreeze Hotel
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
“Wonderful staff and great location”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We love Sunbreeze for the great staff and super location. Our room was very spacious, immaculately clean and great ac. Everyone, from the front desk (Linda in particular), the super handsome Ryan, the landscape crew and pool guy couldn't be more friendly or helpful. We dove with Hugh Parkey's and everyone is just wonderful and considerate. We look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank scubasue7448

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I've never written a review before but we really struggled with hotel choices before we left the states so I hope maybe I can help. We just got back last night and had a great stay with SunBreeze Hotel. We initially only booked for two nights so we could have the flexibility to change hotels if necessary. We checked with Ramon's and may have switched if they would have had room. We didn't see anything else that we would have preferred. We had room 119 which is great because of the little patio, proximity to the pool, bar and dive shop. We then moved to 225 which has a view of the ocean and a hammock right outside the room. The hotel staff was great, thought the bartenders at Fido's were much, much faster and friendlier. Many restaurants to choose from. Blue Water grill was not the favorite place or most reasonably priced place we ate. Sunbreeze is convenient to everything in town and the dive shop is great. After diving the first day, the crew rinsed and stored our gear. When we got to the boat the next day everything was loaded, hooked up and ready to go. No issues with fumigation. I didn't even know they were doing it. We were on the fence between the Sunbreeze Hotel and the Suites. Very glad we chose the hotel. The area of town where the Suites are does not have a good feel to it. The roads aren't as well lit and my wife and I were not comfortable that far North. Very good value for the money. We got a much better rate on Expedia than what they offer.

Unrelated tip: We flew Tropic Air from Belize City to Ambergris. The rate we thought we were getting was from a different airport in the City. Our flight was double that amount. Be sure to check from the International Airport. We had more time going back so we took the water taxi. This was great because it saved us $100 and allowed us to see Caye Caulker, the South Side of Ambergris and Belize City. The best place we ate the whole time in Belize was called the Tropicolada right outside the water taxi pier. It was about a quarter of the cost too. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Greg S
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Pros: On-site restaurant Blue Water Grill and the bartender Steven were great. On-site dive shop Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection was amazing.

Cons: Front desk is very rude, they will not help you set anything up, they made a mistake on our reservation and instead of apologizing said "they upgraded us free of charge" - but they "upgraded" us to the room we already reserved and paid extra for, tiny pool with hardly any furniture, rooms smell like mildew, barely any water pressure in the shower, beds are very uncomfortable, safety deposit box is at the front desk where the staff has access to it, room temp very hard to control...you are either freezing or sweating, bathroom was filthy., no fitness center, spa was much more expensive than neighboring hotels, there isn't an "ocean view", fumigating at 5pm everyday prevented you from being at the pool or bar unless you wanted to choke on fumes.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Wendy T
Chico, California
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I can't say enough great things about this place!

Although I would not consider this a luxury hotel this has been an amazing place to stay. I am not even 100% sure how we ended up in San Pedro let alone the Sunbreeze but I could not have been happier.

The first trip I was there for 9 days and it was the most relaxing 9 days I have ever had. Although the rooms are average the service was amazing as was the location and the people on the Island and the price is fantastic for the experience that I had.

I was initially concerned about the proximity to the airport since it is literally across the street but there was never a noise problem. Our room had a fridge and we were given bottled water every day. The only thing that could have been a little better was the wireless internet but it was a vacation so I shouldn't have been trying to email anyway. Also we were so close to everything in town, it was less than a 5 minute walk down the beach. Not once were either one of concerned about our safety at any point.

The restaurant is excellent as well. I am still dreaming of the tortilla soup that I had on a daily basis. Also you must try a 'horny monkey' drink from Maurice at the bar. Every morning he greeted me with one to start off my day and I loved them so much I eventually got the recipe out of him to bring home. Maurice also made sure he kept the drinks heading our direction as well as any snacks ect as we lounged by the pool.

The maid service was great and our room was always clean and they never disturbed us. Everyone always said hello to us, gave us great information and was always very kind and courteous.

Once again if you are looking for luxury this might not be the best choice but for the price point I couldn't ask for anything better. Amazing experience all the way around.

Room Tip: We loved the rooms on the bottom floor. Although we did not have a view it was very easily accesible...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank meghann78
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Last month my husband and I went to San Pedro to get married at the SunBreeze Hotel. The staff were so wonderful and made this trip very special for us. They were incredibly accommodating and went out of their way to ensure that all 22 of our guests were well taken care of. As you can imagine with 24 people traveling together we were a little chaotic at times but the hotel was very helpful in accommodating us. Julia (hotel manager) and her staff put so much work into planning our ceremony and reception at the Blue Water Grill (we used the area above the restaurant for the reception which was perfect- private with beautiful views of the beach & water). I had high hopes for this trip but the hotel created an experience that far exceeded my expectations. It was the little added touches that made it so special including decorating our room with flowers after the ceremony, putting our bridesmaid and groomsmen gifts into the rooms of our guests, and Julia meeting with our florist and photographer to make sure our wedding day would go off without a hitch, etc. The food at the Blue Water Grill was fantastic (they even cooked up the fish we caught after a day of reef fishing) and the hotel accommodations including pool and room amenities were spot on (very clean rooms). The location of the hotel is great as well, you are right in town but the hotel is set up so you feel like you are set away from the hustle and bustle. You get the best of both worlds: relaxation when you want it but then the opportunity to step out of the front door of the hotel and be surrounded by the excitement of San Pedro. The beach in front of the hotel was the perfect location for my dream beach wedding...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tmmclean
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have nothing but nice things to say about the Sunbreeze Hotel This little gem doesn't look like much from the street, but once you walk through the doors, you step into a beautiful courtyard and are looking directly at the pool, Blue Water Grill (exceptional food and drinks), and some of the clearest ocean water you will ever see. As I came to Ambergris Caye primarily to dive, it couldn't have been more convenient. Directly across the street from the Tropic Air terminal in the heart of San Pedro, I never had to get in a cab. Dive shop with 2 boats on premises and truly "concierge-style" diving. Very important to an old guy who doesn't like to transport heavy gear. I read all the horror stories about thieves, and, guess what, thay have a safe at the front desk where you can stash anything. Basically I just took my cellphone, camera, ipod, and wallet with me everywhere I went (including the dive boat) and no worries. The room itself was perfect. good ac, 110 channel cable (including HBO, showtime and movie channel), refrigerator, tile floors, huge walk-in shower with a bench and rod to hang your wetsuit on. I had read about the bugs and took repellent, but never used it because 6am every day they fog the whole property. Two good restaurants on either side of the hotel (Wild Mangos anf Hurricanes), and a very short walk to all the good local San Pedro restaurants. The lady at the fron desk was very helpful in finding a 6-person golf cart for me just down the street and we rode all over this beautiful island. if you are a diver, STAY AT THIS HOTEL. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Corner beachfront rooms have large decks and hammocks. Upper floors rooms have better views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank joseph m
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2012

It was our 2nd time in Sand Pedro, Belize. The first time we stayed in Condos on the north side. We fell in love with the island so we decided to come back and have our wedding there. At first we didn't know how it was going to be when we booked our wedding/staycation at Sunbreeze. The hotel was literally across the street from the airport which is awesome because we just walked over. As a nervous bride I was worried if the rooms were clean and if the right preparations were made for all my guests. When we arrived 3 days before the wedding Julia the manager was amazing and made us feel very comfortable and took care of everything the first day. Everything was in place! All my guests were happy with the service and smiles the Sunbreeze provided. The staff worked soo hard in making my special day beautiful. The place was clean. The wedding ceremony was right on the beach and again, the staff worked so hard to make sure there were no interruptions during the ceremony. They stopped traffic on the beach! :)

One thing, I wouldn't eat at the Bluewater Grill though. Food wasn't that great and not reasonably priced as there are good less-expensive restaurants within a short enjoyable walk on the beach. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. We wouldn't stay anywhere else the next time we come to San Pedro!

Room Tip: Corner suites are less noisy and the view is way better.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple