“Paradise on San Pedro”

Victoria House Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 11 January 2012

A superb location outside of San Pedro but the town is easily rideable on the hotel's bouncy bicycles or a golf trolley. The hotel is compact, immaculate and beautifully situated on the beach. Hotel staff are very, very attentive and the dining room and bar serve good food, although we do recommend the Hidden Treasure restaurant a 15 minute (the restaurant will collect and return you). Our room (14) was a little dark and above the restaurant but only a minor criticism. If you are going to San Pedro we especially recommend Victoria House to you.

Room Tip: If you can afford in go for something larger than the Staterooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JandJFarnhamCommon

Reviewed 6 January 2012

we went for 10 nights over christmas - new years. brought another couple who stayed for 8 nights. bought 3 massages before we even checked in. we got a very dumpy room - even the guy who brought us to the room agreed. (not the cheapest btw) we asked to be moved - were told they were sold out but they would speak to mgr about getting us moved mid-stay and that he would discuss with us the next day. that night we had a lovely dinner on the property but my after dinner sambuca had a funny taste so i sent it back. the next morning the mgr came up to me and offered to buy me a sambuca and said he tasted what i had drank the night before and it had infact gone bad. I said thank you and went on my way. about an hour later it occured to me that he was the man who was supposed to speak with me about my room - so i found him and asked him if he had realized that i was unhappy with my accomodations. he said that he was well aware of it but had no intentions of moving me as they were sold out and that was that. in other words - he had just disregarded it and had no intentions of addressing it with me. fast forward 8 days to new years eve. i tell this story to a woman at the bar - who ends up being this man's boss. she tells me that she will look into it and get back to me the next day and is so very sorry... well have you heard from her? i never saw her again. we were there more nights (therefore spent more $) than most guests yet we got one of the lousiest rooms. i never even told her how for 5 days we never had any new toiletries. our soap was so small that it was cracked and as big as a sand dollar. we had no shampoo - finally we had to put the empty bottle on top of the toilet seat as a big hint. the old soap stayed for another 2 days before they finally tossed it. the hair in the shower drain got so thick that after day 3 we had to clean it our ourselves. this was no joke. there was a family there who claimed to be the owners (i found out from that woman later that infact they are not actually the owners though they do run the place). in 10 days - not 1 time did anyone come up to either of us and ask if we were enjoying ourselves, or introduce themselves to us or offer to tell us about the island - nothing. take a look at the pictures. they say it all. such a bummer... it is too bad. the couple that came with us wanted to go back to the turtle inn again - but i insisted we try this place for a change. my bad.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lazydaysNyc
BrentKirkman, Manager at Victoria House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear lazydaysNyc,

It goes without saying that in the hospitality business, being open to suggestions and constructive criticism is a must. Our repeat business, guest referrals and many positive reviews attest to the fact that everyone at Victoria House is genuinely interested in providing our guests with a memorable vacation experience. Guest feedback is an integral part of our success, whether it’s rave reviews or helpful advice on how we might improve our guests experiences.

I apologize that due to 100% occupancy during your stay we were unable to move you to a different room or room type. In fact, we contacted other hotels on the island in the hopes of finding you someplace more suitable: regretfully, they too were fully booked.

I can assure you that your displeasure at your accommodation was conveyed with sufficient clarity to our front desk and managerial staff the day of your arrival that no effort was spared in attempts to satisfy your demands for a room move. Unfortunately, as our Front Desk Staff, Front Desk Manager, Guest Services Manager (who escorted you to your room), Operations Manager and I explained, there just wasn’t an alternative room to offer you due to having a full hotel.

I did understand from one of our conversations that you had prepaid for spa treatments prior to arrival and felt that you had spent enough money that you shouldn’t be unhappy with your accommodations. I couldn’t agree with you more. From both a business point of view and that of personal satisfaction, we all take great pride in making our guests stay enjoyable.

Unfortunately my assurance that, should another room become available during your stay I would seek you out and offer it to you seems to have been misconstrued as my having no intention of providing an alternative for you should one arise.

I can assure you that this wasn’t my intent and I apologize for having expressed myself so inadequately.

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary Sambucas. While it’s somewhat unusual that a spirit will “go bad”, it’s quite simply our policy to respect our guests’ reasonable wishes and, whenever it is within our power, do whatever is necessary to satisfy these wishes.

This is the case with all departments at Victoria House, including our Housekeeping Department.

If through an oversight our in-room amenities are not re-stocked daily or a detail is missed it is to be addressed the next day or sooner. If the matter is brought to the attention of any of our employees it will be addressed immediately. Your report of not receiving the required, generous amount of soaps, shampoos and toiletries daily has been addressed with our Housekeeping staff, as has the suprising report of hair accumulating in your shower drain over a period of a couple of days. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due the incidents reported in your review.

The photo of the closet space, complete with in-room safe and skirt hangers (purchased in San Pedro when your request for same was relayed to me by our Operations Manager) is smaller than the one your travelling companions had in their room. I regret that it wasn’t large enough for your purposes.

The tiles pictured are in fact rustic Saltillo tiles from neighboring Mexico, and much the same in appearance as the day they were laid.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Kindest Regards,

Brent Kirkman GM

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We toured through Guatemala and Belize. We spent the last 5 nights in Victoria House and this was a fantastic experience : relaxing, superb accomodation. Food was delicious.
We went on several day trips snorkeling on the reef. This was the best snorkeling we ever did. We also went on a small aircraft above the blue hole and this was really great.

Room Tip: plantation room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jakye
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at Victoria House for a week over the New Year and we can a fantastic time. The resort is about 2 miles from the centre of San Pedro which we really liked. You can either get a taxi for $5 (USD) one way or hire a golf cart from the resort which is around $19 (USD) a day. We just took cabs or some of the local restaurants offer a pick up service.

We stayed in honeymoon cabana 3 which is very close to the main restaurant, pool and has a view of the sea (although most rooms do). The room itself was lovely very nicely decorated and a welcome change to the most rustic places we had stayed at in Lamanai Outpost Lodge and Blancaneaux Lodge. The rooms are more colonial, with a lovely shower room. The only issue was the turn down service which was very early around 6pm and often we were in our room getting ready for dinner and therefore we had to turn the maid away even though we would have liked it. The other issue was mosquitoes, the room had a net over the bed but it was more for decoration as it didn’t fully cover the bed. It would have been good if it was fully functional as we did get bitten at night.

The bar was a great place for lunch and to have evening cocktail. The staff there were great very attentive and warm. The lunch menu was great, plenty to choose from a mixture of local and American style food, good value for the portion sizes. The main restaurant was nice, although the menu choices were quite as good and often was very quiet so lacked a bit of atmosphere.

We used the beach and pool on most days. The grounds of Victoria House are very well kept this includes the beach, although as previous reviewers have mentioned you can't really swim out straight from the beach due to reeds and have to go from the end of the dock. But it is like this right the way up San Pedro. The beach is racked daily and they have plenty of beds and hammocks for everyone to enjoy. We swam in the pool mostly which suited us.

The overall service was fantastic the staff cannot do too much for you and are all very friendly. They are happy to make reservations for you and recommend a local restaurant which is helpful and anything we needed they got for us.

Most people spent New Years in the centre of San Pedro as they have a huge party but as it was our honeymoon we wanted it to be low key. The hotel did a special new years menu, which was nice but the resort was very quiet as a result of everyone going into town. They put on some live music which wasn't great and therefore we took a bottle back to our room to celebrate on our balcony.

A fantastic place to stay, highly recommended and it made a great end to our honeymoon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hayley J
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at VH for 6 nights at the end of October. It was a great expeience, we had booked a plantation room which wasn't what we got when we first checked in. The staff corrected the issue and we had a new room in no time. The passing through of hurricane rina kept us on land for one day only. We still we able to have 4 days of diving. The resort has a great beach comparative to others on the island, my only complaint is the steep cost of drinks. The food however was really worth the cost, we enjoyed all of our meals. We highly recommend diving with the bradley brothers, Rene and jacinto. They made our trip!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OSU4583
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed at the Victoria House in October 2011 for our Honeymoon. This place is way more beautiful in person than the pictures show. It is very relaxing, laid back and romantic. We stayed in the beachfront villa with private infinity pool. There are 2 bedrooms, one has a king and the other room has 2 double beds. There is a living room in the middle but since another couple was staying in the other room, it was locked. (I guess if the whole villa is rented then you are able to access the living room area, but we were ok with not being able to use it.) We were in the room with the 2 double beds and while we would have liked having a king size bed, we certainly would not have traded the private pool and view for it! In my opinion, this villa has the best view and a huge bonus since there is a private pool. We did not go to the main pool at all and since we only had to share ours with 2 other people.

The beach is beautiful but the water does have alot of grass. I personally perfer swimming in a pool vs the ocean, so it didn't bother me. I felt as though I had the best of both worlds since our pool was right on the beach! My only negative for this is that I wish the pool was heated as it did not seem to soak up the warmth from the sun.

The all day menu has a great selection, decent prices and is very tasty. We tried to explore the island and try different restaurants but had a hard time finding places that serve breakfast. We felt as though the breakfast menu at VH was too pricey and since the free continental breakfast was small, we would have liked more affordable options. $8 for a bagel and a few slices of fruit is a little ridiculous. We mostly ate at the bar since the all day menu is not available in the main restaurant for dinner. Make sure you try the rum punch and for desert, the molten lava cake... it is AMAZING! We also suggest trying some of the other restaurants on the island, especially Wild Mangos!

The staff are extremely friendly, helpful and quick to learn your names. It adds a special feeling to your stay as though it's your own private getaway. I feel bad not writing more about the service because it was wonderful! At no point did we ever feel as though they were not there to help us or that we were a bother in any way.

The beds were not the most comfortable which is ok but since there was no tv and the resort is very quiet at night, sleep came early. We were ok with not having a tv but it would have been a nice option. Since we were there during the rainy season, there were alot of mosquitos so sitting outside at night was not the most fun time. Also, when it rains there's not much to do. Again, we were ok without it but in certain situations, it would be nice to have one somewhere in the resort. We were also ok without having a phone in the room, but it takes away from enjoying room service if you have to leave your room to order it. Some sort of intercom system or something to assist in placing a room service order from the room would be great.

Pretty much the moment we arrived we booked our massages. They were wonderful, but we did not have appropriate change and ended up giving each girl a $20 USD tip since they did not like our idea of splitting it. I guess that is sort of our fault for not being prepared but would hope that they had change considering everything else gets charged to the room. We had our massages on our patio, once relaxed I did not care that people might have been walking by but having some sort of separate spa area that is more private would be a nice touch.

We chose Belize because it seemed to have so many options rather than the typical carribean beach and resort atmosphere and we are so glad we did! It might have been a bit more expensive than an all inclusive resort, but getting out and being able to explore the island was awesome. We also went snorkeling and went to see the Lamanai ruins. I highly suggest the Lamanai trip. We went by boat and while it was a long day, it was so worth it! We had such an amazing time.

We also chose Belize because we thought it would be the type of trip we probably wouldn't do again so felt as though our Honeymoon should be extra special. It was extra special but we would totally go to Belize again!

The good so outweighs the bad and the bad is not even bad. These are just small suggestions that would have added more to our stay.

We were extremely pleased with our stay at the Victoria House and aside from the couple of suggestions, our expectations were definitely exceeded.

**Make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen, bug spray and smaller bills ($5's and $10's USD)**

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerri R
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Victoria House was the last stop on our honeymoon that took us from the Florida Keys to Guatemala, to Belize - and by far the best possible way we could have ended our journey! Our visit was last year - but we have gushed about the experience to others ever since and have just now finally got around to posting the praise!

-Great, friendly service
-Great grounds, beautiful pool(s) and eating areas
-We enjoyed a snorkel trip
-Best place to stay in Ambergris Caye - we rode bikes into town and went out one night but never felt like we had to leave for anything.
-Watched a beautiful sunset from the sandy beach..
-If we were to ever return to Belize, this is where we would stay!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple