My wife and I stayed at Victoria house this last winter for almost a week, and we loved it.
We stayed in a plantation room, which is very nice and tropical feeling, although it lacked a decent sitting area. FYI, there are no TVs and the free wifi is not fast enough for streaming video (ie Netflix). The room was well maintained, and the housekeeping was very good and thorough.
The hotel provides a gallon of bottled water per day. You wouldn't drink the tap water not due to pollution, but rather, it is desalinated, and contains too much chlorine. Regardless, small bottles of water are about $1 (minibar or poolside service).
The beach, as you may have read, is nice scenery, but there is an abundance of sea grass, which limits the ability to swim around in the ocean. The hotel diligently rakes up the sea grass every day, some days for hours, to maintain a clean appearance.
The pools are beautiful. Most days, we sat around the pools, and we found that some are more affected on very windy days. When we were gripping our books tightly at the main pool, the infinity pool was still and windless. The pools and lounges are impeccably maintained.
The restaurant was good for lunch. We were not too impressed with the breakfast (we did not get breakfast included, but had the continental some days and ordered entrees on other days). We had dinner one night at the hotel, and thought the food was over-complicated. The food that stands out on the island is ceviche, snapper, grouper and rice and beans. We thought those foods were best when plain, and the restaurant tries a bit too hard to be super-creative.
The staff (and the people of Belize in general) is why this gets five stars. Wonderful, helpful, forgiving and gracious staff. Much the same can be said about the people of Belize.
The town of San Pedro, which is the center on Ambergris Caye, is the San Pedro Madonna was singing about in the song, La Isla Bonita.
In March, we had no problems with mosquitoes. The power outlets are same as the US. The island has several convenience stores and markets with familiar products. US dollars are accepted almost everywhere, and exchanged at two Belize dollars to one, you may get a mix of US and Belize dollars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Victoria House Resort & Spa, the order of the day is quite simply relaxation… Located on Ambergris Caye, the largest of the many offshore Belizean Islands, Victoria House is just 2 miles south of picturesque San Pedro Town. The resort offers a taste of barefoot elegance that keeps guests coming back for more. With just 42 guest rooms ranging in style from thatch roof casitas to beachfront villas with private pools, plantation style rooms and stunning ocean view villas, the only challenge is making the choice of where to hang your swimsuit at night. The Palmilla Restaurant and Admiral Nelsons Bar are renowned for fine food and drink complimented by extraordinary, personalized service. Attention to detail by staff and management alike has garnered accolades from international media and awards from prestigious organizations such as Conde Nast Traveler, Conde Nast Johansens and TripAdvisor. Even more telling is the number of guests who chose to make Victoria House their destination of choice, year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Victoria House Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria House Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria House Belize
- Victoria San Pedro
- Victoria House Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro