“Fantastic Honeymoon”

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic Honeymoon”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I can't say enough good things about this place! We were on our honeymoon from 11-Nov-13 through 16-Nov-13. It was our first trip to Ambergris Caye and we will definitely be back. Everything about Victoria House made our stay memorable. It'll be hard to hit all of the positives, so I'll just list the best:

-Fantastic views of the Caribbean, even from the back of the property. We stayed in 2 different rooms (one was an infinity pool villa at the back and we could still see the ocean). Our other room was in Casa Azul which was ocean front (more on the rooms later).

-THE STAFF IS THE FRIENDLIEST I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED AT A RESORT!(sorry for yelling, but I had to get my point across). At check in we were given a tour of the property by a lovely young lady who went over everything with us...and that was just the beginning. Every time I encountered an employee(more on them in a second) I received a friendly smile and a cherry, "hello" or "how are you today". All were very genuine. And if you had spent more time talking to them, then always remembered your name.
• Special Thank you to Lester, Tony, Luis, and Justin at Admiral Nelson's Bar. Our drinks were never empty, and they provided us with FANTASTIC recommendations for off property dining and activities(again, I will list later).
• Also to Julio and Leonel at Palmilla restaurant. Friendly service with a smile, not just in the restaurant, but poolside as well!

-Food from Palmilla/Admiral Nelsons was great- More expensive and commercialized than what you find in town, but excellent taste, plentiful portions, and the friendly service make it worth it.
• Try the chimichurri rib eye with potato and cheese "pancake" for dinner, and the hot wings or sliders for lunch.
• Also, other reviews have said the continental breakfast wasn’t very good. I disagree, it may be plain(toast/muffins) and fruit, but it would usually fill me up until lunch time… and I am an eater!
-The Rooms: We stayed in a Plantation Room in Casa Azul for the first few nights…WOW! A multi bedroom condo with its own private pool and upstairs patio. Unless you rent out all rooms you don’t get the living and dining areas, but the view of the ocean was second to none. We then moved to a 2 story villa behind the infinity pool. It’s a little bit further back on the property, but still a nice view of the ocean. These rooms also have full kitchens and the master bed room upstairs has high vaulted ceiling and a private patio facing the pool/ocean. All towels, robes, toiletries, and bed linens our top of the line (in fact, my wife would like to know where to purchase the linens!)

Now for a little on some of the things to do and restaurants to try (we are not divers/fishermen, so we had to find other activities):
• If you have a kitchen in your room/villa be sure to go to Marinas and stock up on groceries and beer. It is the cheapest market we found and is close to the resort. This will save you some $$$. However, you can also go in to town and eat every meal for a good culinary experience and save $$$ too. I would definitely recommend stocking up on beer here. You could buy directly from the distributor, but the beer is hot, and the road was washed out while we were there (and brings plastic travel mugs to make your own drinks to bring with you places).
• Try Fidos for karaoke on Tuesday’s-great service, cheap , cold drinks and a fun time
• Palapa Bar has great views, good drinks and tasty fish tacos. You can also swim in the water and they will lower your drinks down to you. Its best to take the water taxi from town here because the road north of the bridge is almost washed out ($5US each way per person). Be sure to write on the walls so everyone knows you were there
• Hurricane Ceviche Bar-almost directly in front of Blue Water Grill on the pier. We wandered in here to get out of the rain and ended up staying all day. Josh, the owner’s son, was a great bartender and kept my wife and I entertained while making strong drinks (try the michelada). Order the ceviche, but be careful of the “Belizean Cherries” aka Habaneros. The look just like jalapenos(found it out much too late)
• Melt-for some great gourmet grilled cheese
• The Baker-for your bread and sweets needs
• Golf Carts-you’ll need one to make it easier to get a round. I’m sure the places off property are cheaper, but the resort ones are competitively priced and there are right there and ready to go.
• We heard great things about Wild Mango’s, Blue Water, Elvi’s and El Fogon, but unfortunately didn’t get to try them(we will next time though).
• Just walk the beach or Front Street in town during the day and visit the different beach front restaurants/bars for a quick appetizer and drink or to shop for souveniers.
There is a huge expatriate population here and everyone speaks English and takes US$ so it was easy to communicate. We felt safe the entire time whether in town or at the resort. Thank you to everyone that made our honeymoon unforgettable! We look forward to spending one of our anniversaries at Victoria House in the future…plus maybe some random vacations with friends(we’re telling everyone we know to stay there).

Room Tip: Ask for off property recommendations for food, drinks, and fun...then go to all of them! You can...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DominoFaSho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

just got back from a week at victoria house nov 5 to nov 12, great place well maintained, nice rooms, probably the best from what i saw in san pedro, thanks to jesus, romon, justin,maniel roxy for their special care, luis at the dive shop set us up with a 2 snorkel dive and caye caulker trip, it was great, my thanks to raul at monchos golf cart great service , 4 of the days poured rain like crazy and really limits your activities, roads flood easily, if you stick to diving and beach activities this place is your cup of tea, forget the road north of the bridge its a disaster, hotels north only really accessed by water taxi( keep in mind when booking)-, south of victoria house the road ends and it usually under water, restaurants check out elvi's kitchen, fidos, blue water grill, ricos near victoria house all good, the road from victoria house to town is well paved and lighted, residents ar the best, very helpful, forget caye caulker when we left it was a sewage dump from the rain

Room Tip: casita are good but small
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nanlar10
Picayune, Mississippi
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We have stayed here five times and hope to return another five! The staff are all gracious and welcoming, they love having you there. The atmosphere is total upscale Belize, comfortable, island chic. The food is wonderful, especially love fishing all day and having the kitchen prepare the seafood perfectly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PennyStettinius
Midwest
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Victoria House exceeded our expectations and beyond!! It was an amazing place for all of us couples to celebrate the special milestone 40th joint birthday bash in November.The staff were fabulous and they went out of their way to ensure our stay was excellent. We loved the pool and the beachside massages! We enjoyed the drinks and snacks from the bar as they were great! Our villa was gorgeous and it was perfect for us to gather around to chat and hang out together. We found the place and our bedrooms/bathrooms to be very clean. I still dream about their heavenly pillows! Our husbands had a surprise birthday dinner on the beach--and the VH was so helpful to assist us with the planning prior to the trip!The food was impeccable. Everything was a dream and we would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kala28
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 31 October 2013

A beautiful place with wonderful people. Everyone went out of their way to make our 25th anniversary a memorable occasion. The staff was so friendly. The room was clean. The view was awesome. The food was excellent. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early September as part of our belated honeymoon. The property itself is picturesque, well maintained, and could not have been more serene. The location is at the far end of the island, but it's a small island - so the trek to downtown was not bad; it's a nice bike ride on their free bikes!

We did have one small imperfect moment in an otherwise great stay: My husband had worked with the front desk to make a reservation at one of the nicer restaurants on the island, and had made arrangements for them to send a car. We wound up having to cancel because I had a killer migraine that left me nauseous and bed-ridden. When he went to cancel the dinner, the front desk suggested that the restaurant send up some chicken soup to the room. My husband thought it was a nice gesture and said ok. We were surprised to see the soup on the bill when we checked out, given that they had suggested sending it up in the first place. Not a big deal, but surprising - it left us feeling a bit nickle-and-dimed, esp given that the rooms are not cheap and we had already spent $500 USD on food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jess Y
BrentKirkman, Manager at Victoria House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Jess Y

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your belated honeymoon at Victoria House, and I’m sorry that anything at all marred an otherwise perfect time.

Needless to say, charging the chicken soup (complimentary due to the circumstances) to your bill was an oversight that would have been quickly and easily remedied at checkout had our front desk staff noticed it.

A refund of $8.81 has now been applied to your credit card.

Brent
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I spent a week at VH in August 2013 and got married on the beach on the property. It was nothing less than stellar! If you want a relaxed, destination wedding, Javier and his crew take care of it all and you can sit back and relax with your guests. When we got engaged, I knew I wanted a beach wedding, and VH was the perfect place. We had 30 guests (all adults) and every one of them had an amazing vacation and celebration with us! Everything- the food, the Sangria, Rum Punch and Panty Rippas, the sweet ladies who took my dress and had it pressed when we arrived, wonderful service at the bars and restaurants, all was wonderful. We ate breakfast at the hotel every day and lunch and dinner in the bar area many times as well as the Pamilla restaurant a couple of times. We never got sick of the food and never had the same thing twice. The menus are very extensive. I also recommend the Palapa Bar on the North end of the island on Sundays for a fun day of drinking in inner tubes or at the bar over the water, they have a great burger, Elvi's Kitchen in town is amazing, and Hidden Treasure had the best chicken curry I've ever had and a really neat, outdoor dining room. It is super close to VH.

We went diving with the Bradley brothers and it was amazing. They are the BEST dive instructors and we felt very safe and taken care of.

If I could, I would get married here all over again! We are going back next summer with 2 other couples as a reunion because we loved it so much. We loved everything and can't wait to see all of the wonderful staff again and come back to paradise. We will be back, and I hope to make it a yearly trip!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple