My wife and I can't say enough good things about this place! We were on our honeymoon from 11-Nov-13 through 16-Nov-13. It was our first trip to Ambergris Caye and we will definitely be back. Everything about Victoria House made our stay memorable. It'll be hard to hit all of the positives, so I'll just list the best:
-Fantastic views of the Caribbean, even from the back of the property. We stayed in 2 different rooms (one was an infinity pool villa at the back and we could still see the ocean). Our other room was in Casa Azul which was ocean front (more on the rooms later).
-THE STAFF IS THE FRIENDLIEST I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED AT A RESORT!(sorry for yelling, but I had to get my point across). At check in we were given a tour of the property by a lovely young lady who went over everything with us...and that was just the beginning. Every time I encountered an employee(more on them in a second) I received a friendly smile and a cherry, "hello" or "how are you today". All were very genuine. And if you had spent more time talking to them, then always remembered your name.
• Special Thank you to Lester, Tony, Luis, and Justin at Admiral Nelson's Bar. Our drinks were never empty, and they provided us with FANTASTIC recommendations for off property dining and activities(again, I will list later).
• Also to Julio and Leonel at Palmilla restaurant. Friendly service with a smile, not just in the restaurant, but poolside as well!
-Food from Palmilla/Admiral Nelsons was great- More expensive and commercialized than what you find in town, but excellent taste, plentiful portions, and the friendly service make it worth it.
• Try the chimichurri rib eye with potato and cheese "pancake" for dinner, and the hot wings or sliders for lunch.
• Also, other reviews have said the continental breakfast wasn’t very good. I disagree, it may be plain(toast/muffins) and fruit, but it would usually fill me up until lunch time… and I am an eater!
-The Rooms: We stayed in a Plantation Room in Casa Azul for the first few nights…WOW! A multi bedroom condo with its own private pool and upstairs patio. Unless you rent out all rooms you don’t get the living and dining areas, but the view of the ocean was second to none. We then moved to a 2 story villa behind the infinity pool. It’s a little bit further back on the property, but still a nice view of the ocean. These rooms also have full kitchens and the master bed room upstairs has high vaulted ceiling and a private patio facing the pool/ocean. All towels, robes, toiletries, and bed linens our top of the line (in fact, my wife would like to know where to purchase the linens!)
Now for a little on some of the things to do and restaurants to try (we are not divers/fishermen, so we had to find other activities):
• If you have a kitchen in your room/villa be sure to go to Marinas and stock up on groceries and beer. It is the cheapest market we found and is close to the resort. This will save you some $$$. However, you can also go in to town and eat every meal for a good culinary experience and save $$$ too. I would definitely recommend stocking up on beer here. You could buy directly from the distributor, but the beer is hot, and the road was washed out while we were there (and brings plastic travel mugs to make your own drinks to bring with you places).
• Try Fidos for karaoke on Tuesday’s-great service, cheap , cold drinks and a fun time
• Palapa Bar has great views, good drinks and tasty fish tacos. You can also swim in the water and they will lower your drinks down to you. Its best to take the water taxi from town here because the road north of the bridge is almost washed out ($5US each way per person). Be sure to write on the walls so everyone knows you were there
• Hurricane Ceviche Bar-almost directly in front of Blue Water Grill on the pier. We wandered in here to get out of the rain and ended up staying all day. Josh, the owner’s son, was a great bartender and kept my wife and I entertained while making strong drinks (try the michelada). Order the ceviche, but be careful of the “Belizean Cherries” aka Habaneros. The look just like jalapenos(found it out much too late)
• Melt-for some great gourmet grilled cheese
• The Baker-for your bread and sweets needs
• Golf Carts-you’ll need one to make it easier to get a round. I’m sure the places off property are cheaper, but the resort ones are competitively priced and there are right there and ready to go.
• We heard great things about Wild Mango’s, Blue Water, Elvi’s and El Fogon, but unfortunately didn’t get to try them(we will next time though).
• Just walk the beach or Front Street in town during the day and visit the different beach front restaurants/bars for a quick appetizer and drink or to shop for souveniers.
There is a huge expatriate population here and everyone speaks English and takes US$ so it was easy to communicate. We felt safe the entire time whether in town or at the resort. Thank you to everyone that made our honeymoon unforgettable! We look forward to spending one of our anniversaries at Victoria House in the future…plus maybe some random vacations with friends(we’re telling everyone we know to stay there).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Victoria House Resort & Spa, the order of the day is quite simply relaxation… Located on Ambergris Caye, the largest of the many offshore Belizean Islands, Victoria House is just 2 miles south of picturesque San Pedro Town. The resort offers a taste of barefoot elegance that keeps guests coming back for more. With just 42 guest rooms ranging in style from thatch roof casitas to beachfront villas with private pools, plantation style rooms and stunning ocean view villas, the only challenge is making the choice of where to hang your swimsuit at night. The Palmilla Restaurant and Admiral Nelsons Bar are renowned for fine food and drink complimented by extraordinary, personalized service. Attention to detail by staff and management alike has garnered accolades from international media and awards from prestigious organizations such as Conde Nast Traveler, Conde Nast Johansens and TripAdvisor. Even more telling is the number of guests who chose to make Victoria House their destination of choice, year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Victoria House Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria House Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria House Belize
- Victoria San Pedro
- Victoria House Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro