“Lovely hotel, great service”

Victoria House Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently stayed at Victoria House for 4 nights on our honeymoon. The pools and outdoors are beautifully maintained and the hotel has a great beachfront. The food at the hotel was quite good (not amazing, but very good compared with other food we have had in Belize).
My only complaint about the hotel was that the internet was terrible. Only one or two apps on my ipad worked, and the internet browser (safari) would not work. I asked if there was another connection or password and was repeatedly told no. It wasn't until my last night that I discovered they do, in fact, have a different password and connection in their restaurant which does work. The staff told us internet was down everywhere, however each time we went into town it worked perfectly at ALL other establishments. I think they need a new router. Their comment was "you're on vacation, you don't need!" While this is partially true, if you need to conduct any work business (which I did), you won't be able. They do have a computer you can use in their gift shop apparently. We are currently in Cay caulker and the internet works just fine (how I am able to write this review). Again, loved Victoria House, just wish they could fix their internet routers, or else don't tell guests that the hotel has wifi!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
BrentKirkman, General Manager at Victoria House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Einsteincat,

Thanks for making Victoria House a part of your honeymoon voyage.

I’m sorry to hear that internet connectivity issues marred your experience. Normally, while internet speeds in Belize do not compare at all well to those available in your part of the world (our complimentary guest wifi is an 8 mbps service, the highest available locally), the service from our ISP is satisfactory.

During your stay unfortunately, there actually were sporadic, country-wide internet service issues due to a documented server problem experienced by this same ISP. While this may be cold comfort to you now, I can assure you that you were not alone in your frustration nor were you being mislead about the situation. The provider – Belize Telecommunications Limited – advises it’s customers that the situation is now under control, and we all certainly hope that this is the case.

As you note, we do have a wifi access point in our dining room which is connected to the same router that provides signal to the other access points on our property. The password is the same for the entire property, and I’m sorry to hear that there was some confusion over this.

I trust you both had an extraordinary time in Belize, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best,

Brent Kirkman GM

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here several days after a few days in the jungle. The property is beautiful, the room was fantastic. We had no idea we had reserved such a huge, nice place! Gorgeous view of the ocean from our front porch, food was excellent and inviting pools. We rented a golf cart one day to ride around town and island, then took bicycles another day. Would definitely return here in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Victoria House for a week and it was great! We had spent a week in the jungle before so seeing the ocean was a nice change. Victoria House has a beautiful property and our room had a great view of the water. The food was good but we really only had a couple breakfasts in the hotel because we would go into San Pedro for dinner each night. You can use bicycles from Victoria House to get around but we had also rented a golf cart for the week which was worth the money! The pool and beach areas were both quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: The property has internet in the common areas but we had an upper corner room that was right next to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathryne S
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here 6 years ago and it was great. We stayed here again in May for 4 nights. The grounds are still breathtaking.Rooms are very nice.The food is good but too expensive. I reccomend taking a cab to town and eating at one of the many great places. Estels for breakfast or lunch can't be beat. The Blue water grill is still a great place for dinner.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are nice.Low water pressure was my only complaint.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Shred1
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I went here with my family - a total of 10 of us. We rented the entire Casa Azul House out (which is secluded on the far end of the Victoria House), which was absolutely amazing. I am an avid flyfisherman - the rest of my family is not (other than my daughters) - The Casa Azul has its own pool, plenty of hammocks, a gorgeous vies, and the Casa Azul is amazing in itself. My wife & rest of family kicked back in a hammock or around the pool while I fished in the morning, and then we would all go do other excursions in the afternoon - snorkeling, swim with the sharks & sting rays, reef fishing, etc. The restaurant at the Victoria House is 5 stars also - the chefs are incredible. If your family goes to the Victoria House, it wont have the leave the grounds at all for the entire trip. Excursions can be booked by the concierge, and they pick you up from the dock!! Cant wait to get back there some day!!

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This resort is beautiful. It is clean, the beds are very comfortable and a Plantation room is adequate for a couple. Land and sea tours as well as golf cart rentals are available on the premises. The resort appeared to be one of the finest on the island. The prices for food and beverages were a bit pricey, as is the resort, the food was very good, wishing they would have had an all inclusive option at a reasonable price that included beverages. The Victoria House is a very quiet and laid back resort, it you are a party animal, this is not the place for you. It was $5.00 each way by taxi to town. The trade winds are constantly blowing, which is both an advantage and disadvantage, I did enjoy the fact that you don't just sit and sweat for the most part like you would in Mexico with the humidity. The staff for the most part was very friendly, although in the bar, we did feel that we were overlooked when needing a refill to the "regulars" or more affluent customers. Would we return, yes, if we travel to Ambergris Caye again.

Room Tip: Rooms 11 through probably 16 are on top of the restaurant. If was loud only one night, but very eas...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lawlinc4
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife and i stayed here as the first part of a three hotel trip in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye and the hotel lives up to every expectation that has been boasted about it. I had stayed before on my own on business in the past but never able to stay here with my wife. We had a cabana with outdoor shower and front terrace with thatched roof. The bedroom was very well appointed and the bed allows for you to drift away in no time at all. We enjoyed the outdoor shower and my wife loved the long lap pool in front of the posh villas. We took dinner on the lovely terrace by the pool but just before main course came we were chased inside by some strong wind that seemed to come from no where and then we were served in an elegant air conditioned restaurant with white linen. The staff in every department were friendly and efficient, the rooms spotless and it was only a shame that our stay was so short, really wish we could have stayed a lot longer to really enjoy the relaxation oozing from every corner. There is what can best be described as a beach club bar where you can also eat and i think on a return visit we would opt for that on the verandah with the ocean breezes. top notch everything and we were on an anniversary trip, this place is perfect for a special getaway, but you have to book a long way in advance the place is busy for a reason. Top marks to all concerned we loved Vitoria House.

Room Tip: The front cabanas seem to sell out first by all accounts but spend a little more and go for the ones...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple