“We never stay anywhere else....”

Victoria House Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
The Woodlands, Texas
“We never stay anywhere else....”
Reviewed 26 February 2009

VH is an amazing resort and I am saddened by some of the reviews I've read here from people who didn't like the place or had issues while there. We (my family and 14 others) leave for our 6th trip to Ambergris Caye next week and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else on the island. We stayed at a couple of private homes for our first and second trip down, and while they were nice, nothing compares to VH. The service is impeccable, the rooms are beautiful (especially the castias and infinity-edge suites) and the view is one of the most amazing on the whole island. My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary with a vow-renewal ceremony at VH right on the beach. The resort is used to planning weddings, but not renewals, however this has not stopped the staff (especially Javier and the chef) from bending over backwards to accommodate our needs for what we wanted. Many of our guests will be on the island for the first time and I know VH will not disappoint. Please trust me when I tell you that you get what you pay for on the island. Some places may be cheaper or more well-known, but as divers, we have been to almost all of the resorts to pick up other divers and non have impressed us as much as VH. You feel totally secluded and safe, but are easily a short golf cart ride away from town when you are ready to go out. And, do not leave VH without eating their amazing homemade coconut ice cream that comes with a peanut butter cookie crisp - it is heavenly!
All in all, this resort will have all you need to relax or do whatever you want in an amazing setting that is very romantic, yet also family friendly. Each time we go back, they still remember us by name as many of the staff have been with the resort for a long time. Top notch and one of the best - hands down!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
philidelphia
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We rented a house here and it was great for our family. A private pool, right on the beach! The facilities and beach were wonderful. The only issue I had was I found the diving to be very expensive. They have an onsite dive shop although outsource to a local small boat. The divemasters they used did extremely short dives when all had pleanty of oxogen. It was nice to have it onsite although might consider using a different dive shop next time I visit.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank travlinphilly
England
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We were expecting more from Victoria House than it delivered.
There is a lot of hype about its beautiful location and luxurious rooms. In fact, the 'beach' doesn't allow access to the sea because of sea grass hiding large rays and sea urchins, and it was too windy whilst we were staying to relax there. Our plantation room was quite small with dated decor and from what we saw of the casitas they don't offer much privacy.
There are plenty of far better beach resorts and I feel Victoria House is resting on its laurels, knowing there is not a lot of competition on Ambergris Caye. Food in the restaurants was good, though slow service and too large portions. The inclusive breakfast is very basic. Wine was extortionately expensive and the bar had as much atmosphere as a bus station. Some of the staff were helpful and friendly, but others less so.We enjoyed the excusions they arranged but these were open to anyone staying on the island.
We knew it would be a hard act to follow when arriving from Chaa Creek but Victoria House need something of a makeover if it is truly to live up to ts romantic reputation.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderlusterSussexUK
houston, texas
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I have been to VH many times. How they do it, I do not know, but it continues to be such a spectacular place. I arranged our fishing boats and zip tours via email before we arrived. I also planned a party for 14 via email with the restaurant. Everything was handled perfectly. The staff is so friendly and helpful. I just love VH and cannot wait to return!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
MN
Reviewed 14 February 2009

As everyone has said the grounds are meticulous. I have stayed in nicer/newer hotels and resorts but VH is kept up and very clean. We stayed in a plantation room and it was good size. I would recomend a casita for the location or 2 bedroom house for the TV and new construction.
We had pleasant conversations with the staff - Mugel, Jeremiah, and Shelby - everyone was very friendly.
It was a very relaxing week and the VH never felt busy - always a place at the pool or beach. I think our pictures will say more than the words I can write.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank clcbjc
Upstate NY
Reviewed 3 February 2009

We spent the first half our honeymoon at VH in August 2007 -- we were supposed to spend the second week at Cayo Espanto but were evacuated from the area because of Hurricane Dean. Needless to say, the 7 days we spent at VH were superb and we were able to go home relaxed and rejuvenated (even considering the circumstances).

The staff at VH are unbelievably attentive and exceptionally kind. The resort itself is gorgeous and very well maintained. No attention to detail was spared and we were made to feel like we were guests in someone's home.

The front desk staff helped us coordinate two fishing trips (one reef, one bonefishing with the Bradley Brothers who were all excellent guides! Think Santiago from the Old Man and the Sea!), one zip-lining/cave tubing trip (I highly recommend doing this) and a trip to Xunantunich (which was cancelled because of the weather). They handled all of our pick ups and drop offs and all of the little details in between.

The food at VH is EXCELLENT. I want to go back just for the fresh watermelon juice in the morning! Do yourself a favor and eat LOTS of ceviche.

On the day(s) leading up to our evacuation the staff was so wonderful. They allowed us to use the resort phone free of charge to coordinate with our travel agent to get off of the island. On the day of the mandatory evacuation the chef was preparing everyone bagged breakfasts and lunches to take with them -- this instead of getting his family and himself ready to leave the area! My husband and I were astounded by the selflessness of the staff and their unwavering genuine kindness.

If you stay anywhere else in Belize you're making a mistake.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NikiRUpstateNY
Koloa, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My husband and I spent the first week of our honeymoon at Victoria House and LOVED it!!! We had a beachfront/view casita and it was gorgeous! Every member of the staff was amazing and so helpful!
The restaurant on the property was also incredible. We had dinner at the Palmilla Restaurant at Victoria House two nights and absolutely loved it! The portions are huge and we loved the ambiance. We dined in town at Mango's (Definitely go there!), and Casa Picasso and enjoyed them very much as well.
We also ate lunch and breakfast at Victoria House and were very happy with all of the meals and drinks.
We arranged numerous SCUBA diving trips through the resort and were very happy with our guides and trips.
I definitely will be back to Victoria House again!

• Liked — Location, ocean, and SCUBA diving!
  • Disliked — We loved everything!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SCUBAgirl30